Question TRD wheels - finish issues?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: TRD wheels - finish issues?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default TRD wheels - finish issues?

I've had my '07 Tundra for about a year and a half now, and the 2 of the factory wheels looked like this when I got it.
    Is this a common issue with the TRD wheels, or is this just the product of a previous owner not taking care of their stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2233.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	460.6 KB 
ID:	91733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	567.2 KB 
ID:	91734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	633.2 KB 
ID:	91735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	533.0 KB 
ID:	91736

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Dang those are in pretty bad shape. I don't think it was user error, but finish issues. Looks to have started from the back of the wheel.

This has been reported before:
    Check your TRD wheels

Liked
    12 times

Default Re: TRD wheels - finish issues?

The wheel design does contribute I think. I wash my wheels way more than the truck and use a soft brush to get behind the spokes. I had that trouble on an '05 Tundra and so this time around I am being obsessive with wheel cleaning.
    P21S wheel cleaner is just incredible guys, sprayed on the face and inside the barrel is maybe 1$ a wheel. I hope to avoid that issue but like I said and others posted, those sharp corners can't be helping.
    I had a set of very nice racing wheels powder coated after a local dealer who had it for paint work "cleaned" the wheels. They acid etched them and ruined the finish.
    I am trying to remember but I believe the cost was $75 a wheel. The real issue is finding a place you trust or shipping them to a nationally recognized wheel facility.
    I shipped but I am fortunate to have a friend who has commercial UPS rates.
    Repaint and clean them more often is the only solution. Good luck.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Liked
    12 times

I do quite a bit of detailing and can tell you this brush is one of the best ever. The brush and some P21S wheel cleaner and my wheels look sharp. I do wash them twice as much as the truck. Something about clean wheels really sets the vehicle off and I hope is preventative. This place has a sale if you enter "turkey" as a coupon: Clean all wheels with speed and precision!
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Liked
    9 times
    Images

This has been a problem sence 07 and they will replace if under 3 years. Factory was replacing a lot of them in 07&08 they should do the same on newer ones.
    Charlie & Linda