Black or dark paint owners, is worrying about scratches futile?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Black or dark paint owners, is worrying about scratches futile?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Black or dark paint owners, is worrying about scratches futile?

So I have a 2012 Tundra, black. I know people say black is a pain in the butt to keep clean, which is true. But it looks so dang good when it IS cleaned.

But, I've been noticing, just due to highway driving, and working on our ranch, the scratches are building up. Is there easy solutions? I've tried the swirl to light scratch lubes you can buy at Autozone and all were crap. Should I just consider it badges of honor, or do you all have routine solutions?

THanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    118 times

Default Re: Black or dark paint owners, is worrying about scratches futile?

I have the dark green (spruce mica) and every blemish in the clearcoat sticks out like a sore thumb.
    My bed sides/tailgate have a million tiny scrapes and scratches from leaning into the bed to get tools and from guys leaning in to get their hunting gear.
    I've only fixed one scratch, when the truck was new.
    I wet sanded the scratch out with 2000 grit sand paper and then buffed it back to a gloss with a an electric buffer and turtle wax polishing compound.
    Not really a routine, but it worked perfect for the one scratch on the front fender.
    As long as it's only in the clearcoat, it should work.
    I have one tiny rock chip in the hood, that made it down to the primer. Guess I'll have to try to find some type of touch up pen for tha one.
    Not really sure what to do for prevention though, other than having a professional put another, stronger clearcoat on the truck.
    The paints they use now are a lot different, thinner and weaker than they were years ago.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I've owned Black for many years and here's the most important tips I can offer to keep it looking great.

1.) NEVER NEVER NEVER touch your truck with just any towels. Get a couple good chamois for drying and wash before every use. Only use super soft microfibers for polishing and wiping.

2.) Avoid hand washing and brush carwashes. Under no circumstances do you use that soap brush at the do it yourself car wash (Do you know how much junk is in those brushes?)

3.) VERY VERY important to keep the truck waxed. This not only makes it easier to clean and dry streak/spot free but the wax is going to help protect it.

4.) Get a Dual Action polisher, learn how to use it properly. Keep your paint polished once or twice a year.

5.) Every 3-4 months CLAY BAR, polish and Apply a paint sealant. I like Optima PPP, and Optima PPS. This will help seal the paint from harmful contaminants from road and grime, bird poop, etc. For polishing compounds I like Meguiars M105 AND m205, You can finish it with either a Paint Prep Plus polish (PPP) or an ultra fine polish by 3M, Adams, Pinnacle - all are great products.

Any and all variations of what i've listed above will help you keep it looking top notch! If you do none of it, at the very least don't use crappy towels and keep people from leaning up against it and you'll be money ahead!

Liked
    25 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robin623 View Post
    So I have a 2012 Tundra, black. I know people say black is a pain in the butt to keep clean, which is true. But it looks so dang good when it IS cleaned.

But, I've been noticing, just due to highway driving, and working on our ranch, the scratches are building up. Is there easy solutions? I've tried the swirl to light scratch lubes you can buy at Autozone and all were crap. Should I just consider it badges of honor, or do you all have routine solutions?

THanks!
    I've used Turtle Wax's black Carnauba wax (comes in the Black Box kit) a few times and am very pleased with it's ability to hide all those little "badges of honor" (I think any black wax would be good). When you fill in scratches on black paint with a white/light colored wax it's going to highlight the scratch/swirl, IMHO.

2010 Black Crewmax SR5 TRD - Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau W/ Explorer Rails // CB W/ Maxrad // Anytime Foglights // Debadged (Mostly) // Warn Trans4mer W/ Receiver // Techstream 7.10.030 // Air Lift 5000 Air Bags // Bilstein 5100's (Middle Setting) // 275/70-18 Duratracs // TRD Air Filter

Liked
    5 times

I got turned on last year at a car show in Denver with Adams Detailing Products. They have a great web page with lots of videos showing how to properly clean your ride. I bought this big fleesy looking pad for washing, the fenderwell brush and some cleaners. my little trick that I learned from detailing my custom bikes is to keep any thing from touching the paint. Use compressed air to blow most of the water off of the truck..I use my lawn back pack leaf blower to do the truck! It blow at 200mph and does a good job at chasing the water droplets away. Yes wax once a month!! I do not use a buffer on my black rock warrior!! I use a random orbit air sander with a soft foam pad to apply the wax, 1500-1700 rpm then remove the wax by hand with clean diapers. Once a year I spend 150.00 to have my detailing gurus do a clay bar/polish job on my vehicles. If you are not experienced using a buffer, then dont even try it..u can really f..up the paint! I have always owned black vehicles/ bikes and love the way they look when properly detailed!!

Liked
    118 times

Yes, do not use a buffer.
    I have a little electric random orbital palm polisher.
    I called it a buffer because I couldn't think of what it was called.

Liked
    1 times

I've waxed my 2011 exactly once (note my sig...) and was satisfied for about a day until one of the cats climbed the tailgate. However, as outlined above, prep and a good sealant or wax (I just purchased a can of old-school Colonite in prepapration for an Upstate NY winter) and minimal contact with the surface by anything/anyone afterward will go a long way toward keeping the finish looking its best...
    2011 2WD DC 4.6. Black and scratchy!

Liked
    15 times
    Images

My black 07 is full of tiny nicks dings and scratches, espically on the hood from all the crap that gets kicked up while driving on
    the highway and it drives me crazy, not to mention the Aholes who love to sling their door open into your vehicle but when shes all clean and shiney she looks good. I just learn to deal with it. i have a slight case of ocd when it comes to my vehicles, she gets washed once a week and waxed every 3 months.
    2007 5.7L Black DC
    Flowmaster 50 series exhaust
    Smoked tail lights and 3rd brake light
    Wet okole seat covers
    De Badged
    Line X bed liner

Liked
    14 times

The solution for me on black was to do clear bra on the front for protection. I didn't bother on my silver '10. My black '11 I could tell I had to do it.
    As mentioned, clay bar, random orbital polish, seal (Klasse) and wax (p21S).
    Water blade and dry the rest of the way as conservatively as possible.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Thanks to all of you for reminding me why I've never owned a black vehicle! (jk)
    To me, it's a TRUCK. Yeah, it still looks OK, but scratches and dings are facts of life.
    We budget for a new windshield every year. One year it'll be my wife's Highlander, the next my Tundra. Sometimes we beat the odds, but this IS rural America. As you can imagine, there are rock chips, brush scratches, etc.

..but, as I said: It's a TRUCK!!
    Larry Lawton
    Retired in Wyoming
    07 Salsa Red CrewMax Limited

Liked
    36 times
    Images

I hate the paint on Toyota's.....<-- possibly USA's EPA BS....

To this day.....IMO.... GM has the toughest paint out there....in which cleans up very easily....
    GM almost even does better than a BMW/Mercs....

Toyota... is freakin' the worst.... you can trash it by looking at it the wrong way....
    gameover169 likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    08 Limited DC 4x4 Black/Charcoal
    TRD SuperCharger, TRD Cat Back, TRD 22" Forged 5 Spoke
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBonez View Post
    I hate the paint on Toyota's.....<-- possibly USA's EPA BS....

To this day.....IMO.... GM has the toughest paint out there....in which cleans up very easily....
    GM almost even does better than a BMW/Mercs....

Toyota... is freakin' the worst.... you can trash it by looking at it the wrong way....
    Bones, I'm not so sure. Up here, the sun shines pretty bright 'cause we're above a whole lot of air that filters sunlight at lower elevations. Sure see a lot of silver and white GM products with the primer showing through.

Though I haven't specifically looked it up, it seems the clean air regs forced a lot of changes in paint and application technology -- though I've also heard manufacturers are just applying less paint. Saves weight and costs.
    Larry Lawton
    Retired in Wyoming
    07 Salsa Red CrewMax Limited

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Lawton View Post
    Bones, I'm not so sure. Up here, the sun shines pretty bright 'cause we're above a whole lot of air that filters sunlight at lower elevations. Sure see a lot of silver and white GM products with the primer showing through.

Though I haven't specifically looked it up, it seems the clean air regs forced a lot of changes in paint and application technology -- though I've also heard manufacturers are just applying less paint. Saves weight and costs.
    I do agree as far as how the paint is laid down.... Very little orange peel and pretty dang consistent.... That, I do give to Toyota...
    My gripe is the lack of paint.... Nowhere close to enough paint and even worse very little clear if any...

I don't understand the whole EPA deal... Production vehicles haven't been painted by humans in decades...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Liked
    731 times

If I'm not mistaken, the black on your truck is a single sage with no clear coat. It is also less thick than a single post-it. But proper wash and waxing (and polishing and sealing) techniques will help you tremendously. Adams has a great website with awesome videos. http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
    A product you may want to look into is called blackhole. It's made by Poor boys. It will not remove the scratches but will conceal until you can properly correct the paint. It is a truck, but that doesn't mean it has to look like crap. I do landscaping and haul wood etc. With mine, but keep it clean and protected too. Once its done (paint correction/protection) it is easier to keep clean. The way I see it, you made a big investment buying the thing and wouldn't hesitate to buy expensive oil and filters for it, why not spend a little on the paint? The part you, and everyone else sees.:thumbup:
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Liked
    36 times
    Images

I'm all familiar with black paint(Ford Ranger...BMW M3...BMW X5...Chevy Silverado SS)..... and have pretty well disciplined routine in keeping it up....
    But this truck isn't my first vehicle.... and the paint on this thing just outright sucks...

I don't venture offroad in this one... But I can only imagine what a little bit of brush would do to this paint....

Manufacturers like Chevy..Ford...Jeep know how to paint a vehicle.... especially one that would most probably see some abuse(truck)<--- You might get by painting a luxury sedan or an eco friendly coupe like that.... But not a truck...

I've confirmed that there is indeed a clear coat of some sort on my black Tundra.... as I've never seen any black come off of it when using compounds....
    Just not enough.... It scratches down to the primer if not metal far too easy....
    Last edited by DawgBonez; 11-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    More to come......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.