A couple problems with my new 2012

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple problems with my new 2012

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Default A couple problems with my new 2012

I just want to know how many people that own 2012 Tundras know that it's normal for your sonar to go off while you are driving in the rain?
    Also how many of you knew that you shouldn't use the cruise control when you are towing a trailer?
    My cruise control shuts off when I am towing and when you go up a hill and if the transmission down shifts to third gear the cruise control shuts off. The dealer pointed out that the cruise should not be used while towing as per the owners manual so it's normal operation. Also the sonar may not work right in the rain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Default Re: A couple problems with my new 2012

Just talked to Toyota service rep. Seems Toyota is not very interested in customer satisfaction. All they needed to do is put a sensor in the right front and at least it looks like the made an effort to fix my complaint. But no is the answer. The cruise contol is a programming issue so I know there is not an immediate fix but it is dangerous when you are in traffic and the truck slows because the throttle goes to idle when you dont expect it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

My cruise does not shut off while towing but I have never gone into 3rd gear while towing up a hill.

Liked
    98 times

A lot of sonar units, not just the Tundra's, go off in the rain. The rain obstructs the sensor and makes it think something is close. Not sure what you expect them to do. I'm not much of a fan of the sonar anyways, it starts screaming at you within 3 feet of something. I have the backup camera, which allows me to see exactly what is behind me and exactly how close I am. Plus, I think its cheaper.

You aren't supposed to use cruise control while towing, like it says in the manual. That being said, I have towed thousands of miles while in cruise and never had a problem. If you are towing and dropping into third gear, perhaps you might consider re-evaluating what you are towing and how fast you are trying to tow it. I have a 6,000 lbs RV and have never dropped into 3rd gear while towing, even pulling up (east coast) mountains.

Another thing to consider, if you are in such heavy traffic that sudden loss of power makes it a safety issue, perhaps you shouldn't be in cruise control, towing or not. Also, now you know that your truck does this. Either get it fixed or realize that it will happen.
    2010 white RW DC
    Rostra backup camera, TRD sway bar, BHLM, LineX
    folding seat mod, dual 2.25 Powersticks
    JL Audio 8w3v3 sub w/Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Polk DB651s fronts, dash tweeter bypass
    non-relay anytime fog light mod, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

I had a 2007 Tundra that I traded in on this truck. 5 years of towing an 18 ft enclosed trailer to North Caroilina sometimes at 80 plus mph and never had this problem Same with the sonar. I have talked to a friend at work that has a 2010 and his doesnt do this. I was towing a 5X8 uhaul with about 500 pounds in it. If I just bought what is advertised as the badest truck in all the land and it cant tow a small trailer up a hill at 70 mph then I am sure I bought the wrong brand.My son bought a 2012 at the about the same time when he is towing a 23 ft boat at 55 mph his does the same thing at that speed so speed is not the issue. Its a programing issue. My thoughts are with the stuck throttle issues Toyota has gotten nervous about anything that controls the throttle.
    The sonar was at full alert even after it stopped raining it was on the right front only. I did get out and look for something covering the sensor. So you ask what did I expect them to do? Replace the right front sensor would be where I would start. Thanks for the info guys. I am guessing that if you are towing almost anything your truck has dropped to third gear and you dont know it. So watch the next time you tow RPM will be around 4k when it does this. If your cruise control stays on great but let me know.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2012 Crew Max Platinum and just had the right front sonar replaced last week. Works fine so far but we'll see how it goes. Funny how everyone's is the right front one. Ive work for Toyota for 17 years at the Georgetown Ky plant and we always hear that Toyota's customer service is the worst.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

What was the reason yours was replaced?

Liked
    24 times

1) Towing at 80mph
    2) Towing in traffic with cruise control on

Really?

No wait, 80+mph.

Awesome.

Sorry guess as I have gotten older and my family is expanding I find this just pure awesomeness...

Liked
    207 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundergas View Post
    1) Towing at 80mph
    2) Towing in traffic with cruise control on

Really?

No wait, 80+mph.

Awesome.

Sorry guess as I have gotten older and my family is expanding I find this just pure awesomeness...
    I was thinking the same thing. towing at 80+ and using cruise control in traffic is really dumb
    Last edited by Breathing Borla; 11-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Pull your skirt down.

Liked
    207 times
    Images

double post
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

The problem still is there at 60 mph with no other traffic around. Now do you feel better.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

The speed limit where this happed at was 75 mph.

Liked
    207 times
    Images

good luck
    Last edited by Breathing Borla; 11-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

Liked
    334 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by csharpo View Post
    Ive work for Toyota for 17 years at the Georgetown Ky plant and we always hear that Toyota's customer service is the worst.
    Ha ha. Me too at TMMC. Almost 23 years now. I hate going to any dealers around here for anything. They seem to really hate us plant employees. They say we are too picky. I had one idiot tell me I needed my whole dash removed just to tighten one nut that was located just behind the lower glove box. Needless to say I dont plan on ever going back there again, not even for parts.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast