The importance of de-badging early.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The importance of de-badging early.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Exclamation The importance of de-badging early.

Or what I like to call "de-blinging".

I bought my 07' in January of 08' (year-end model clearance). And from day 1, I wanted to de-bling it, but whenever I had time to tinker with it, I always had something bigger to do to it. So here it is, 2012, and I FINALLY got to it. Well, 5 years of having those badges did a number on the paint. The "Toyota" and "Tundra" badges all had brownish stains behind them on the paint and the "5.7 V8" badges were holding a ton of water that actually discolored the paint. Now, my truck is garage kept and only driven some weekends, and I couldn't remember the last time it was rained on or washed! Those badges had to have been holding that water for, at least, well over a month! So if you just bought your Tundra, and your thinking of de-badging it, don't wait 5 years like I did, just to find more work lurking behind them. Go grab your girl's hair-dryer, a can of WD-40, and get to it!
    sg1efc and deviltundra like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: The importance of de-badging early.

Why do you de-badge your truck? Why do you care if it says tundra 4x4 on the back? Everytime I see that I think that the car has been in an accident and repainted.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fresch View Post
    Why do you de-badge your truck? Why do you care if it says tundra 4x4 on the back? Everytime I see that I think that the car has been in an accident and repainted.
    Personal preference. There's a lot of people on here that likes the way it looks, including myself.
    sg1efc, Shotgun and theoat like this.

Just a Herbicidal maniac. Herbicidal's Avatar
    Liked
    90 times
    Images

+1 to a 'cleaner' look. Makes it SO much easier to wash and wax it without all those pesky badges.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
    *** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    +1 to a 'cleaner' look. Makes it SO much easier to wash and wax it without all those pesky badges.
    Amen friend!!
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    6 times

The neat thing about a debadged vehicle is if it looks clean/garaged/whatever keeps it new, the first question you get is "nice truck, is it new, what is it?" I had a debadged 01' tundra and I got those questions up to the week I traded it in earlier this year.My new tundra debadged, I get "nice Tundra", that's it; no one sees the debadging and it looks cleaner, and easier to clean and polish when debadged.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

And I'm not a big fan of chrome. If the badges were black, I would've left them..... maybe. I'm looking to get rid of the rest of the chrome soon. When I think "chrome" I thing of cars in the 50's and 60's, and Harley's.

And again, that's a personal preference.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    2 times

Were you able to remove the stains?
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Haven't tried yet. I'm sure they'll buff out. Just waiting for good weather.
    sg1efc likes this.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigjaybo1977 View Post
    Or what I like to call "de-blinging".

I bought my 07' in January of 08' (year-end model clearance). And from day 1, I wanted to de-bling it, but whenever I had time to tinker with it, I always had something bigger to do to it. So here it is, 2012, and I FINALLY got to it. Well, 5 years of having those badges did a number on the paint. The "Toyota" and "Tundra" badges all had brownish stains behind them on the paint and the "5.7 V8" badges were holding a ton of water that actually discolored the paint. Now, my truck is garage kept and only driven some weekends, and I couldn't remember the last time it was rained on or washed! Those badges had to have been holding that water for, at least, well over a month! So if you just bought your Tundra, and your thinking of de-badging it, don't wait 5 years like I did, just to find more work lurking behind them. Go grab your girl's hair-dryer, a can of WD-40, and get to it!

dont forget the fishing line/ dental floss.

what did you do with the old badges???
    i put them on neighbors F150.

Liked
    76 times

You definitely waited awhile!!

The morning after I bought my 2010, I debadged it completely!!! Not even a day old!!! LOL.. I HATE Badges.. for the most part..

Liked
    15 times
    Images

I ran into the same problem as the OP. I bought a 2 1/2 year old 07' Tundra and a week later decided to ditch the badges. there was a deffinite outline left behind where the badges were but with some buffing and finess i was able to make them disappear.
    Just remember be careful not to burn the paint while buffing out the marks left behind or you will have a bigger mess on your
    hands.
    sg1efc likes this.
    2007 5.7L Black DC
    Flowmaster 50 series exhaust
    Smoked tail lights and 3rd brake light
    Wet okole seat covers
    De Badged
    Line X bed liner

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deviltundra View Post
    dont forget the fishing line/ dental floss.

what did you do with the old badges???
    i put them on neighbors F150.
    I mangled a couple of them, but the ones that survived I saved.
    sg1efc and deviltundra like this.

Liked
    34 times

Great tips guys, Thanks! I have a 2000 Tundra and have always hated the way the car wax builds up around those stupid badges. And the point about badges holding water is particularly important with these Tundras = the Rust Problem! Don't need any more water or places where road salt can accumulate on these rust buckets, that's for sure.

So none of the badges are mounted with screws or bolts? All come off with dental floss / fishing line, hair dryer and WD-40? That's great news. I never tried to take any badges off mine because I thought they might be screwed or bolted on.

By the way, during the hurricane my truck was hit by some flying awnings. It damaged the driver's door Tundra badge. Know how much they want for a new one? $36.86, plus installation of course, Lmao.

Liked
    7 times

I debadged my '05 and '12 within days after buying them. On the '12 the emblems were made of chrome plastic and I just broke them up and threw them away. Why debadge? In my opinion the truck looks better, is MUCH easier to wash and wax, and I like it when people ask me when did I get a new Dodge truck?
    sg1efc likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast