Question Renewiing the factory warranty...is it worth it?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renewiing the factory warranty...is it worth it?

Liked
    24 times

Default Renewiing the factory warranty...is it worth it?

My father has an 2010 with 29k that the factory warranty is almost up on and he's debating on whether or not it's worth it to renew. Any thoughts?

Sorry in advance if this is covered elsewhere
    Last edited by toyeyoda; 11-21-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: i'm a dope

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Default Re: Renewiing the factory warranty...is it worth it?

Isn't your factory warrenty only renewable in the frist 3 years or 35,000 miles?
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by cwit View Post
    Isn't your factory warrenty only renewable in the frist 3 years or 35,000 miles?
    That would be the case lol. It's a 2010 with 29k+. (i'll edit the post). He's a disabled vet so working on it himself isn't an option and he recently relocated 1500 miles away so i can't work on it for him any more. Is extending the factory warranty the way to go or is there alternatives that are better?

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I extended my warrenty to 8 years 125,000 miles Paid for it self in 5th year. Still have 3 years and 70,000 to go. Yes I think it is worth it. Buy factory.
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Its a crap shoot, but given your fathers situation it would be worth it. I purchased the extended warranty for my 07 when I got it and it has paid for itself twice now. With the technology instilled in vehicles these days and shop labor rates around $100 per hr. it doesn't take very long ro rack up a big bill
    2007 5.7L Black DC
    Flowmaster 50 series exhaust
    Smoked tail lights and 3rd brake light
    Wet okole seat covers
    De Badged
    Line X bed liner

Liked
    293 times
    Images

If he's planning to keep the truck for a while then it's definitely worth it. Make sure it is the Toyota warranty, not a third party!
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    45 times
    Images

I bought the 5 year 75K extended warranty for around $650 from a Toyota dealer recommnened on this site. I had one repair (replaced the water pump) before the warranty expired. I was told the pump replacement cost at the dealer would have been around $600. It was a wash for me and I just ended up paying in advance for the repair. It may have been better to pony up for the 100K warranty, but right now I have 88K on my 07 and it all is running well, ...so maybe not.

Liked
    24 times

thanks you guys for all the input. everyone have a happy thanksgiving! be safe, eat lots of turkey, take lots of naps =)))

Liked
    98 times

Search on this forum for dealerships that offer the best price. My dealer matched the price I found here. Buy a Toyota warranty if you decide to get one, not an aftermarket one. We bought one for my wife's 08 Camry. A little after 3 years of owning it, the radio went bad. It was replaced under the extended warranty. The radio ended up osting more than I paid for the 4 extra years of warranty! For me, it was a no brainer.

I have 8 years on my Tundra, because we use it to pull our camper on vacation. Its cheaper per year for the Toyota plan which includes free towing and rental reimbursment than it is for AAA. Again... thats a no brainer! Then when you consider how high tech vehicles are nowadays, I can easily see a stupid repair costing more then the $1000 I paid for the warranty.

I never used to be a believer, but I owned a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo before my Tundra. It was a nice little 4x4 that pulled my motorcycle on vacations, and it just so happened to have a 10 year 120K powertrain warranty. 2 days before our family (in laws...) vacation, I noticed a puddle of transmission fluid under the Rodeo. A transmission gasket had failed after 9 years and 70K miles. Took it in to the dealer, they fixed it under warranty that day and I was ready to go on vacation. The total cost billed to Isuzu was around $3000. That would have hurt BAD if I had to pay out of pocket. Really made me appreciate a decent price on a factory extended warranty!
    toyeyoda likes this.
    2010 white RW DC
    Rostra backup camera, TRD sway bar, BHLM, LineX
    folding seat mod, dual 2.25 Powersticks
    JL Audio 8w3v3 sub w/Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Polk DB651s fronts, dash tweeter bypass
    non-relay anytime fog light mod, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Well, may I gently disagree?
    The reason I buy Toyota and Lexus vehicles is because they all come with one worthless item -- the warranty. In my experience, it just sits in the glove box gathering dust.
    I've probably owned twenty of 'em since I got rid of my 1981 Cadillac, and in every instance the cost of repairs has been $0.00 or much, much less than the price of any extended warranty
    Last edited by Larry Lawton; 11-22-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Larry Lawton
    Retired in Wyoming
    07 Salsa Red CrewMax Limited

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Lawton View Post
    Well, may I gently disagree?
    The reason I buy Toyota and Lexus vehicles is because they all come with one worthless item -- the warranty. In my experience, it just sits in the glove box gathering dust.
    I've probably owned twenty of 'em since I got rid of my 1981 Cadillac, and in every instance the cost of repairs has been $0.00 or much, much less than the price of any extended warranty
    the ol'man hasn't bought anything other than toyota trucks since 84, he would agree with you here......but like i said i work on most of the stuff and that's no longer an option. i think he would benefit from having one, if not for peace of mind alone.

Liked
    4 times

Certainly try to get a price near the price mentioned above. It would be worth it in your case. Just do a search for "extended warranties" on this site and you find a couple of dealers. Hope it works out.

The 8 yr/75,000 mile warrnty will be the cheapest. So in essence you are gettting 5 more years and nearly 50,000 miles.

Brad

Liked
    12 times

I bought a 7 year, 70,000 mile bumper to bumper , with todays little electrical gadgets, and sensors, 1-2 can get very expensive. I just bought mine through the dealership, up to $100.00 plus parts can hit you hard.
    So to me, no worries for 7 years, just a piece of mind, may not need it, but will be there if I do need it.

Liked
    20 times

So if I declined an extended warranty when I bought the truck, can I get one later?
    1995 T-100 250,000 miles and still going strong!

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6w/Tow.Pkg.

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pas Bon View Post
    So if I declined an extended warranty when I bought the truck, can I get one later?
    Yes, anytime before your standard warranty expires [3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)]
    Delaware
    2007 Tundra SR5 4WD, Super White, RollBak G2 Tonneau
    2012 RC Tacoma, Pyrite Mica [Kid's college vehicle]
    2002 Tacoma, White [Sold]
    2001 Tundra, Green [Sold]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast