gas mileage for 4.6 - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: gas mileage for 4.6

Liked
    25 times

Default Re: gas mileage for 4.6

I've got the 5.7 with a 3" lift and 34" tires. Which creates about a 5% difference in mileage. Using the computer I get 13.5 around the city (14.1 corrected) and on a hunting trip this past weekend the computer showed 14.8 (15.5 corrected).

For as big of a truck as it is and the power this motor has I think the gas mileage is awesome.

I've looked over at the f150 forum when the ecoboost came out because I was interested. They aren't getting any better fuel mileage. In some instances it's worse. But that's probably more to do with driver than truck.
    Current -
    2008 White Crewmax 4x4
    2005 Camry

Past -
    2000 Tundra - Sold -130K miles
    1995 4runner - Sold - 193K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

I get around 16-17 mpg for a combo of city/highway driving with my '03 4.6l tundra 4x4.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I do about 75% city with many short trips and get 16.7 mpg from April to october. It gets damn cold here and they winter blend the gas from Nov-March. When that happens my mileage is about 2 mpg lower at 14.8. I am a contractor though and always have weight in the truck, as well as 300-350 pounds of truck cap on the box at all times.

I did get 19.9 mpg (11.85L/100) on a camping trip this past summer for the full tank with 85% hwy. That's what the first 2.75 years have given me with this truck. My cousin has an EB motor fard and said it always gets 15.5mpg (15L/100km) in the summer. Needless to say, I'm happy with mine.
    2010 Tundra Regular Cab SR5 4.6L 4x4-Towing package, 4.10 rear axle, TRD air filter, Oval step tubes, Leer bed cap w/ tool case, BedRug bedliner, Weather Tech Liners, Towing mirrors, Toyota Bluetooth, MPG us/m Dash Buttons Mod installed. Rostra Rearsight Camera, with view in my mirror, Plug and Play parts from Sparks. "Silver Sky Metallic" color. TRD rear sway bar, 304 stainless steel TRD cat-back dual exhaust. New mod January 2014- Tow mirrors delete, new regular size power & heated with integrated chevron signals.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Hi all,

I have been averaging around 18 miles to the gallon...or 12.7 L/100 km over the past 17 000 km on my 2012 DC 4.6. For the most part my truck has been averaging as good as my friends ecoboost. During the summer I have seen it hit a little over 20 miles to the gallon... not bad for a large pickup.

Cheers,

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Since the originator of this thread was curious about the 5.7L, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I have a 2010 double cab with a 5.7 L
    I get 14 plus mpg with strictly in town driving and if I'm real careful I can squeeze 15+. Highway runs from 18 to 20 mpg on average
    terrain. On one trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage with some city driving in Anchorage for several days I put on 740 miles. Worked
    out to 19.2 mpg for the total miles. On the highway I held it at 60 mph for the most part. Nice rig to drive and pretty satisfied with
    it in all respects. No canopy, I have the Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover instead. Only other "foreign" add on is a Hellwig rear sway bar.
    Tires are Michelin LTX, M/S, P275/65/R18.

Liked
    61 times

Ok, just filled up my DC 2011 4.6 4x4 and I got 14.3 mpg. That was driving the way I wanted, not babying it, but not totally lead footing it either. I filled with 91oct and will drive nicely and see what I get. The winter blend is gonna mess it up a bit.

Ima assuming that the chaps getting 16-18 around town are 4x2's?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for input. I think the 5.7 is the better buy because from what i read the mpgs are pretty close,so why not get the bigger engine!

Liked
    6 times

Just use the EPA numbers for comparisons. It's the most controlled testing around. For a 2wd, the 4.6 will get you 2 mpg better than the 5.7 on the highway and 1 mpg better in town, with everything else the same.

Fuel Economy
    Last edited by Atomic Ed; 12-02-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Liked
    35 times

all depends on how many miles you are going to put on it. If I had known that I would get a 1989 Honda to drive to work back when I bought my truck I would have gotten the 5.7, but I bought the 4.6 because I was looking at how much money I would save with a one way drive to work of 50 miles, which added up pretty fast for me.

Rookie
    Liked
    5 times

I'll probably take it in the shorts from the non believers, but here goes anyway. I have a 2012 DC Tundra grade 2wd 4.6. I got it last February and now have about 8000 miles on the odo. For day to day use I've never got less than 19.3 mpg hand figured. My best tank was 23.7. The only tanks less than than 19 mpg have been when towing our 18' 3500lb. travel trailer. Those have ranged from 10.5 to 14.1 mpg. I was going to buy a new 4.0 Prerunner to replace my '06, but got a good deal on the Tundra instead. I was worried about having to spend more on gas going back to a full sized p/u, but the mileage with the 4.6 beats my Prerunner's by about 2 mpg.

I've hand figured the mileage for each fillup for everything I've ever owned. The caveats for my mpg figures are that I do very little stop and go driving, I'm old and drive the speed limit, and spend a lot of time between 50 and 60 mph. For the little stop and go driving that I do, my ScanGauge indicates that I would probably get around 14 to 16 mpg, but I'll never drive enough short trip stuff to be able to hand figure a tank.

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll probably take it in the shorts from the non believers, but here goes anyway. I have a 2012 DC Tundra grade 2wd 4.6. I got it last February and now have about 8000 miles on the odo. For day to day use I've never got less than 19.3 mpg hand figured. My best tank was 23.7. The only tanks less than than 19 mpg have been when towing our 18' 3500lb. travel trailer. Those have ranged from 10.5 to 14.1 mpg. I was going to buy a new 4.0 Prerunner to replace my '06, but got a good deal on the Tundra instead. I was worried about having to spend more on gas going back to a full sized p/u, but the mileage with the 4.6 beats my Prerunner's by about 2 mpg.

I've hand figured the mileage for each fillup for everything I've ever owned. The caveats for my mpg figures are that I do very little stop and go driving, I'm old and drive the speed limit, and spend a lot of time between 50 and 60 mph. For the little stop and go driving that I do, my ScanGauge indicates that I would probably get around 14 to 16 mpg, but I'll never drive enough short trip stuff to be able to hand figure a tank.
    I believe you...if you stayed around 55 I think that is very realistic, however most people driving around 55 is not.
    1995 T-100 250,000 miles and still going strong!

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6w/Tow.Pkg.

Liked
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Ditto, I'm a believer, too.

I used to drive a 2011 DC 5.7 4x2, but now drive a 2012 DC 5.7 4x2. I got/get similar mileage as you with both trucks (both stock, no mods). Towed 5000 lbs. (small 3300 lb. toy hauler with 1700 lbs. of gear) cross country this summer (2500 miles) and got 13-14 mpg's driving at 55 mph (all freeway and included several hundred miles of mountainous terrain in the SW). On level terrain, no wind, empty, driving 65 mph I get 21 mpg, 55 mph 23 mpg, 75 mph 18-19 mpg. Around town (stop and go, speeds less than 50 mph, rpm's 2k and below) 13-15 mpg. Combined city and highway 17-18 mpg. All stats hand-calculated; however, I've found my Drive Monitor Switch (DMS) AVG MPG display to be fairly accurate--usually within a few tenths of my hand calculation. Obviously I have to drive *very* conservatively to get these figures. Let the rpm's get over 2k for any reason and the mpg's begin to drop significantly. Using the DMS in INST MPG mode has really helped me adjust my driving style to maximize mpg's.

FWIW, if I drove a DC 4.6 4x2 under the same conservative conditions, I'm assuming the above results (with the exception of towing) would be 1-2 mpg higher. IMO, due to the higher and broader torque curve of the 5.7, I believe the 5.7 would get slightly better mileage than the 4.6 towing the same load under the same conditions. I towed the above toy hauler (same load and route) with my V6, 6-speed manual, 4.0 liter, Nissan Frontier (261 hp, 281 ft. lbs. torque) and only got 12-13 mpg (vs. 13-14 mpg with my 5.7).

Liked
    61 times

Methinks 4x4 vs 4x2 is making the biggest difference in these numbers people are getting. I Have a 4x4 DC, and the last tank I drove like a 85 year old paralyzed nun (no offense to any 85 year old paralyzed nuns out there), and I still only got 16mpg on 87 oct Costco winter gas. The tank before that I filled with 91oct, and drove the same and no difference in mpg's. The tank before that with 87 oct I drove normally and got 14.

The only mod I made was to remove the charcoal pre filter, and i saw my mileage drop after that. But I believe that the transition to winter gas probably had something to do with it as well. I still haven't been able to get out on the road and burna whole tank at 65mph to see what it gets on the open highway. I have the base model, so no MPG meter, i was thinking of getting one of these-

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

Anyone else use their iPhone for diagnostics and real time data? I could totally geek out on this. Bug the s**t out of my wife while we are driving
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My 2008 5.7L double cab gets and average of 19.2 according to my scan gauge. My driving is usually 70/30 highway to city. Most of my highway driving is interstate at 65-70 mph. I have got as much as 24 mpg on a single trip if traffic is not bad. But keep in mind my truck is a 2wd without the tow package and stock size tires.
    2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 5.7L TRD SR5
    Black w/gray interior
    265-70-18 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires
    Line-X bed liner
    LED interior lights
    Ultra Gauge

Liked
    5 times

2013 Rock Warrior 5.7liter, 13 city/15 hwy. at 75mph, 33" tires on 20 inch rims, 4" lift. Have 1900 miles on the truck and not sure if it will get any better with age. Probably not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.