Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7 - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7

Veteran Member
    Liked
    18 times

Default Re: Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by ct03911 View Post
    A $5000 Turbo charger to save gas? That money would buy 1300 gallons of gas, even in the Northeast....
    hmmm
    A SC won't save fuel anyhow. It's a parasitic add-on, even if only a little bit, and it needs high octane to boot. The only reason the Ecoboost has a chance of doing better is that it runs as a NA V6 when not in boost, and is programmed to deal w/ 87 octane (spark retard).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The best I ever get is a little over 20 at 65 mph & no cruse control or trailer. My wife gets a lot more, she even got 18.9 mpg with the right rear break stuck on. It is the same for my civic, I get 32-36 mpg & she gets 36-42 mpg. I don't think there is a better way to increase mpg than the way we drive.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet here is thinner weith oils. My old man tried going from a 10W-40 oil to a 5W-30 or 0W-30 in his V6 Hyundai, and got 2 MPG more.

Personally I haven't tried it yet cause my quoia has over 150K on it, and I prefer to run Mobil one synthetic in it to preserve motor longevity.

Worth a try??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I installed the K&N CAI and the Flowmaster Cat-back. Went from 16mpg to 18.7mpg highway, 13 to 15 city. Moderate throaty sound.

Rookie
    Liked
    3 times

A $5000 Turbo charger to save gas? That money would buy 1300 gallons of gas, even in the Northeast....
    hmmm
    Absolutely. Especially when pulling a 3500# boat 500 miles twice a month and/or traveling as much as I do. Obviously, there are other advantages to it as well but it wil help keep the load on the engine less than it is right now and at higher speeds. Not to mention that it should run cooler.

I'm just throwing it up as an idea but I'll work my way there. First thing is the CAI and maybe some exhaust but my fear is the sound and how much I'll like it.

Rookie
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by LaTundra View Post
    I installed the K&N CAI and the Flowmaster Cat-back. Went from 16mpg to 18.7mpg highway, 13 to 15 city. Moderate throaty sound.
    That's great to hear and exactly the route I was going to take. At what speeds do you travel on the hwy?

Liked
    1 times

I know that what I am about put on the site isn't about the 5.7V8.I have a 02 Tundra AC Limited 4X4,with the 4.7 V8,with a pop up camper about 800# on the truck.
    On our last trip east back in Sept/Oct we drove a combination of interstates and small roads.I did manage to get 15.5 MPG average for the trip.I use the basic driving methods no jump starts the whole works.
    I felt that I was OK with this mileage as the truck is easy to drive and has a lot of power and comfort.The truck I had used before the Tundra was a Ford Ranger 2wd V6,no power and not a comfortable ride.Mileage was only about 1.5 better.
    Win win for me.
    Frank

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

My 2 cents is I get around 19 mpg in an 07 2x sr5 when I'm in slow traffic, 70 and below. Traveling from 2000 ft elevation to 3000, then down to 800 and back daily. 75 + pushes too much wind and sucks gas. I removed the charcoal filter, k& n filter, mobile 1 synthetic and synthetic diff oil. With street tires at 40 psi. Adding new plugs soon. I even got 45 mpg popping on mileage display going down hill. If only.........
    jcvara likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jcvara View Post
    Hello all, Newbie here and as the title states I am looking for some of the better, battle tested methods of improving my gas mileage. I know the old obvious "easy on the gas pedal" but what other mods is there to get into the low 20's highway?
    I would suggest the volant cold air intake. I have a video on YouTube of getting 21.7 round trip from Jacksonville,NC to Myrtle Beach,SC & back. Although I have the backflip tonneau cover & TRD exhaust the biggest improvement was the intake. Only $350 or so and add 3/4 miles per gallon. Even sounds like you have duel exhaust. trust me when I say that is really all you need.
    I forgot the name of my video but in the search try 2010 Tundra Crew Max gets 21 MPG's. GoodLuck!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Tundra 2010 5.7L gets 20.76 MPG's
    YouTube title of my video

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The one little trick that I learned that helps with city MPG is to use and abuse the S mode on the shifter to shift down to lower gears manually as you slow down. The benefits I've seen are three-fold: 1) since you are using engine braking to turn over the engine, you aren't burning gas to "idle" the engine as you slow down (there's a minimum RPM required to keep the engine turning over, and if you're just braking to a stop, you're having to burn gas to keep those RPMs up even if your foot is on the brake), 2) I find myself coasting up to lights a bit more as I prefer to use engine braking to slow the truck down, 3) less wear-and-tear on the brakes as the engine braking is doing a portion of the slowing. OK, so there's a fourth and a fifth benefit as well: I like how the truck sounds as it's revving up, knowing that I'm not burning as much gas in the process, and my stops are safer as I'm relying on two braking systems instead of just one.

Now there are some tricks to go along with this.. For one, I found that it's never worthwhile to downshift to "1" as this is simply too low a gear and it's not a smooth transition from 2nd. It's also worth mentioning that I try to never let the engine rev much above 3K while engine-braking by not shifting too low; no sense overworking the engine, though I suppose there's no harm since the engine management software will not let you select too low of a gear. Getting used to this "active" style of driving takes a bit of getting used to (I've certainly made the mistake of leaving the truck in 2nd pulling away from a traffic light more than once), but if you've ever driven a manual, it's not too far of a stretch.

Doing this little trick in the winter I can get ~16mpg in the city during the wintertime in my 4x4 with 400+ pounds of crud in the back (sand + canopy + weight distribution hitch). Unfortunately I can't seem to get out of the 17's while on the freeway, likely because of all of these mountains around here (sea level to 3K and back every weekend).

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

hmmm

I don't think besides the appropriate tire pressure and reducing drag from driving slower there is much you can do.
    Ethanol free gas will get you better mileage but it costs more. It is better for the truck though, so its a win if you can get it.

Slowing down and smooth starts/stops is the only way.
    The way to understand it is like this:

If you get 16MPG 'stock' and 20 MPG with the supercharger, your fuel costs are like this:

(25000 miles / 16MPG) * $3.50/gallon = $5468.75
    (25000 miles / 20MPG) * $3.50/gallon = $4375.00

So, for every 25,000 miles you drive, the supercharger returns ROUGHLY $1,100 to you in reduced fuel cost. After 125,000 miles, it will have paid for itself.

Tonneau covers actually hurt your mileage. Air flowing over your truck creates a naturall area of high pressure in the bed that acts like a cover for the additional air flowing over. And it does with without adding weight to the truck. As soon as you put a cover on, you've added weight to the equation which actually makes the mileage go down. Go research it... there have been a LOT of research articles written on it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

One thing I'm noticing that is missing from this discussion is: "What grade/type of gas is being used". For instance, meburdick's calculation comparing stock mpg to sc mpg does not take into account that the sc has to use premium fuel (usually 20+ cents more per gallon than the 87 octane used in a stock configuration). The sc would still be cheaper annually, but it would take longer to recoup the cost of the sc unit. I usually burn 87 straight gas in my '10 DC 4x4 5.7L Flex Fuel and get around 12.4 mpg. Another consideration that affects my mpg is the tire/wheel configuration being used. In my case, that would be Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's LT275/65/20 on 20x9 matte black MB TKO wheels. The mpg pays the piper, but me likie how it looks :-) So, what grade of fuel is everyone using while getting their numbers? What tire/wheel configurations, add-ons, and other goodies are you sporting that would affect your mpg (2x4 or 4x4)? This is what the public wants to know (at least I know I do).

Rookie
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Vettelover84 View Post
    I dropped my CM for gas mileage....... not really though...

I just ordered the Electric Fan Modd too!!
    I've seen these dual cooling fans on Chevrolets/GMs and I know it's less drag on the engine (due to the clutch fan). Is the fan kit your planning on purchasing, one or two fans? How much of a modification does your Tundra need to accommodate these cooling fans? Thanks!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by PNW4x4 View Post
    One thing I'm noticing that is missing from this discussion is: "What grade/type of gas is being used". For instance, meburdick's calculation comparing stock mpg to sc mpg does not take into account that the sc has to use premium fuel (usually 20+ cents more per gallon than the 87 octane used in a stock configuration). The sc would still be cheaper annually, but it would take longer to recoup the cost of the sc unit. I usually burn 87 straight gas in my '10 DC 4x4 5.7L Flex Fuel and get around 12.4 mpg. Another consideration that affects my mpg is the tire/wheel configuration being used. In my case, that would be Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's LT275/65/20 on 20x9 matte black MB TKO wheels. The mpg pays the piper, but me likie how it looks :-) So, what grade of fuel is everyone using while getting their numbers? What tire/wheel configurations, add-ons, and other goodies are you sporting that would affect your mpg (2x4 or 4x4)? This is what the public wants to know (at least I know I do).
    Actually, with the jumps in prices, 91 is more like $.40/gallon more than 87 now. And the QUALITY continues to go down because it's sold so much less frequently than the 87.

But hey... Bring on the changes... my calculations were BEST CASE and showed that it would take 125,000 miles to get your money back. Looks like it will be quite a bit more than that in reality.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.