Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7 - Page 4

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7

Liked
    61 times

Default Re: Improving Gas Mileage on a 5.7

2011 DC 4.6L 4x4 Fiberglass 6" rise topper, All Stock (removed the charcoal filter)on 87 Costco gas, and my average so far for the 4 months I've had it is 15.1. I've tried 91 oct, didn't help. There is one station near my place that has 91 non-oxy non-ethyl gas, but its $3.55 a gal, so only the yard tools get that

From what I've seen, the Main contributors are
    • Stop and go driving will kill mpgs
    • Gentle on the acceleration ( i got 11mpg on the tank where I drove the way I wanted to!)
    • 4x4 vs 2x4

Most of my driving (80%) is city traffic, so not then best scenario for good mpg's. I've yet to go and burn a good part of the tank on the hwy. I'd love to see what I'd get. Guessing 18-19 mpg.
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    77 times

Quote Originally Posted by cisa93 View Post
    I've seen these dual cooling fans on Chevrolets/GMs and I know it's less drag on the engine (due to the clutch fan). Is the fan kit your planning on purchasing, one or two fans? How much of a modification does your Tundra need to accommodate these cooling fans? Thanks!
    2 Fans...

Here is the thread.

Tundra electric cooling fan kit available!

Liked
    1 times

'08 DC long bed, 5.7 with tow package, Helwig sway bar, firestone airbags, 18" e series Firestone Transforce AT's, use 87 oct, cab heigth comerical cab weighing around 400lbs, 500 lbs of tools in it all the time, removed the charcoal filter, driving 70ish on the highways, pulling mountains all the time, Avg 16.5 mpg. Hauling my camper, trip from PA to Yellowstone and back, even fighting 20-25mph winds, Avg 11.3. and i do not baby the throttle. Lets face it, it's a truck.[ATTACH=CONFIG]93263[/ATTACHClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	93263
    Ed Zeppeli likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by mattjgerard View Post
    2011 DC 4.6L 4x4 Fiberglass 6" rise topper, All Stock (removed the charcoal filter)on 87 Costco gas, and my average so far for the 4 months I've had it is 15.1. I've tried 91 oct, didn't help. There is one station near my place that has 91 non-oxy non-ethyl gas, but its $3.55 a gal, so only the yard tools get that

From what I've seen, the Main contributors are
    • Stop and go driving will kill mpgs
    • Gentle on the acceleration ( i got 11mpg on the tank where I drove the way I wanted to!)
    • 4x4 vs 2x4

Most of my driving (80%) is city traffic, so not then best scenario for good mpg's. I've yet to go and burn a good part of the tank on the hwy. I'd love to see what I'd get. Guessing 18-19 mpg.
    Wouldn't have expected it to unless you were towing heavy. Even then, I don't know you'd see any real change.

I agree with you how to keep MPG up... Less weight, less rotational mass (anywhere mass is rotating - that means 4x2 is better than 4x4 because there are fewer parts in motion), go light on the throttle, keep moving (no stop-and-go), etc.

The bad news for me is that I have to climb something like 800 feet of elevation from the majority areas to my house. The good news is I have something like 800 feet of elevation when leaving the house where I can run in neutral.

Rookie
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    The way to understand it is like this:

If you get 16MPG 'stock' and 20 MPG with the supercharger, your fuel costs are like this:

(25000 miles / 16MPG) * $3.50/gallon = $5468.75
    (25000 miles / 20MPG) * $3.50/gallon = $4375.00

So, for every 25,000 miles you drive, the supercharger returns ROUGHLY $1,100 to you in reduced fuel cost. After 125,000 miles, it will have paid for itself.

Tonneau covers actually hurt your mileage. Air flowing over your truck creates a naturall area of high pressure in the bed that acts like a cover for the additional air flowing over. And it does with without adding weight to the truck. As soon as you put a cover on, you've added weight to the equation which actually makes the mileage go down. Go research it... there have been a LOT of research articles written on it.
    I wish I was getting 16mpg. In reality I think it's closer to 12. I have Michelin LTX tires inflated at 70psi and use 87oct fuel. I realize speed has alot to do with it and I usually run at about 80. I did force myself to drive it at 69mph on one trip and saw it increase to about 18-19 but it's just so hard to do.

A buddy of mine is willing to sell me his Corolla S that gets 35mpg for about $3,500. As good as it sounds, there's the added cost of insurance and maintenance too. It would still be a cost saving move BUT there's no way that little thing will pull my boat.

Bottom line is that I bought the Tundra because she's a beast and her manners show it. If there is a way to tame her albeit just a little than I would look into it. With so much experience on here I knew there would be some test proven methods that will show some gains. And with most of the feedback I think we can all gain a little insight. Right?

Liked
    61 times

I'd be a happy b@#tard if I was getting 18-19!!! Cripes, my 2003 sienna with the 3.0L v6 (God rest its soul, probably a taxi in Mexico city by now) struggled to get above 20mpg's. But, I got 19mpg no matter how I drove it. Lead foot or feather foot, she still got 19-20. Now, the swing is from 15mpg down to 11 if I lead foot it. I have the 4.6, so no SC for me. Not that I could afford it anyway. Might be able to swing a CAI of some sort though, if that proves to be effective, which it sound like it is.

Rookie
    Liked
    3 times

So here's what the project will be for now:

1. CAI - not sure on which brand. Volant or K&N
    2. Cat Back Exhaust - Flowmaster
    3. Electric fans - leaning towards the one Vettelover84 has, nice set up by the way.
    4. Bed cover - Fiberglass. This is a twofold because I can throw all kinds of gear in there and not worry about it getting jacked from my truck. It also actually gives a little added weight to the back and makes the ride nicer and better balanced.

I'll post my gains as soon as I get it all done in a few months. i will post individual gains for each item too.

Always open for more suggestions so keep em comin...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

have an 08 4 x 4 tundra extended cab only add on is a k & N filter and I get 14.7 almost everywhere and drive 75-78 on freeway. Going to start driving more long distance dont want to slow down but want better mileage. is this possible? I have been reading alot about the supercharger, but no firm mileage increase I believe. Thanks Mike

Liked
    61 times

Above 65, mpgs really suffer. Saw a video that showed real time mpgs in a BMW 550i on the autobahn, and he went from 50 to top speed slowly, and above 65-70 mph the mpgs dropped like a rock.

Takes a lot of fuel to push that brick through the air. If you are driving long distance, I think setting the cruise at a reasonable level is most effective. How much weight do you have in the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have installed the TRD cold air package and TRD dual exhaust in an effort to increase mileage, but, in my honest opinion, my mileage has not improved and cruising a little bit faster is probably the cause. Slowing down below 70 seems to be the answer.
    Are there other folks with super chargers that have experienced the increased hiway mileage?
    The TRD exhaust system is loud most of the time, except at idle..............is there an improvement in noise level when a crossover is installed? If so, where was the crossover installed?
    Mike S.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigirish2 View Post
    I have installed the TRD cold air package and TRD dual exhaust in an effort to increase mileage, but, in my honest opinion, my mileage has not improved and cruising a little bit faster is probably the cause. Slowing down below 70 seems to be the answer.
    Are there other folks with super chargers that have experienced the increased hiway mileage?
    The TRD exhaust system is loud most of the time, except at idle..............is there an improvement in noise level when a crossover is installed? If so, where was the crossover installed?
    Mike S.
    First Tundra I test drove was an 07 CMP with that exhaust. It actually made me not buy the truck, period. I hated it.

It wasn't until four years later, when I rode in a friend's that did NOT have that exhaust, that I was willing to reconsider the Tundra and ended up buying one.

And, yes... Slow down. It's a big block of heavy materials that you're shoving through the air hard. Push a little less hard (slow down) and your mileage goes up.

Liked
    24 times

when my 2012 DC was new I got 15mpg's at 80mph them when I got the SC installed I was averaging 18mpg at 80 and 21mpg at 60mph. I put on a 3/1 lift and 275/70r18 toyo open country m/t's and at 40psi with the warmest temp around 5 degrees and averaging around -10 im getting 15 mpgs. I'm going to air up to 50lbs and see if that helps. I traded in my 08 taco 4cyl 5 speed with 27 mpg's and i can say its worth the extra in gas for the extra capacity and 320+ hp. When I got the SC installed and I always had my foot in it I got 9mpgs and thats burying the needle several times. The speedo only goes to 120mph and I went past that and it was still pulling hard. I'm guessing I was around 130mph but I got pretty terrified and would back out before too long. I convinced my dealer to erase the limiter which was fun a few times now I'm thinking I should have left it on to keep myself alive.
    Last edited by TuRDs/c; 01-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Liked
    36 times
    Images

I know it's been beaten like a shiiity horse....
    But non-ethanol fuel makes the most difference that I have seen....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    08 Limited DC 4x4 Black/Charcoal
    TRD SuperCharger, TRD Cat Back, TRD 22" Forged 5 Spoke
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

If all of you bought a Tundra for gas mileage, you made the wrong choice. I have a heavy foot, and maybe get 14, but it is what it is. It is a work truck, work it hard, treat it well, and it will last. Play with it, and you will just ruin it over time... Just my personal opinion, got a 2007 with 67K on it and everything is is just fine...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBonez View Post
    I know it's been beaten like a shiiity horse....
    But non-ethanol fuel makes the most difference that I have seen....
    I won't dispute your statement... But I will say that it doesn't help a lot of us out for two reasons:

- Many places do not have non-ethanol fuel in any form. Period.
    - The places that DO have it often sell it only in the premium version, which can be $.40 more per gallon, completely defeating the purpose of increasing mileage.

If you can get 87 octane non-eth, that's great. Just don't count on it being available for too much longer.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast