Question for OEM Nav Owners- Display Current Speed on Nav?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Question for OEM Nav Owners- Display Current Speed on Nav?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Question for OEM Nav Owners- Display Current Speed on Nav?

Recently purchased a 2012 CM Limited. Installed a 2.5 level and 275/65-20 tires which look great. I did a similar lift with my 06 and when I did that I found that the speedo was off by about 5mph at 60mph (my wife learned the hard way), that said I am trying to determine the speedo difference with having gone from 275/55-20 to 65-20 (shop tells me about 2" increase in overall diamater). I figured the easiest way would be compare the speed on the nav to what my dash says. Here's the problem, I dont see an area on the nav that shows current speed.

Anyone know if there's an area to do this? I'd trust this more than my cell phone nav. Otherwise can anyone estimate what the speed offset would be in this scenario? I want to avoid the flashing red and blues.

Thanks for all the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Question for OEM Nav Owners- Display Current Speed on Nav?

I haven't seen anything on my 08 Nav system that will tell the actual mph. But you can take a hand held GPS, put it on the dash and drive down the road to tell your actual mph. There is a little lag, but not enough to worry about if you are maintaining a steady speed. I was not convinced that my spedo was accurate, when I bought the truck, but compared it against a Garmin eTrex, and it was pretty accurate (at lease enough to keep me out of trouble).

Liked
    18 times
    Images

I've seen lottsa complaints about the OEM GPS. Mine gets me where I want to go, but little more. Frankly, I looked for a pickup with it mostly for the big-screen back up camera, so I can hook up my toy trailers without help.
    I'd like it to pick up the fourth satellite to report altitude and speed, but it doesn't do that, and (so far as I know) cannot be modified to do so.
    ...and $169 for an update DVD is still much, much too much!
    Larry Lawton
    Retired in Wyoming
    07 Salsa Red CrewMax Limited

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Larry I agree. I went to the dealer to ask the question and there is no way to do this. It's so frustrating considering how much extra we spent though it is really nice for hooking up a trailer. One other gripe while we're on the subject I also wish it were easier to grab coordinates. Right now you have to pull over and dig through a bunch of menus to find the coordinates. When your deep in the woods skid roads arent marked on a map so I make note of the coordinates in order to find them later. Oh well, still love the truck! I guess I'll move on from the *****ing.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Hey Tusa, when I want to mark a location, I just flag it. I think the icon actually says "mark". You can go back later and give a name to the location, and a different icon on the map.... If that is what you are talking about. I use that function to mark intersections, gates and camp sites among other things.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

AZ Pete, thanks for the advice. I will look into that, it sounds like that's what I wanted to do.