Review BFG All-Terrain KO review

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: BFG All-Terrain KO review

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Default BFG All-Terrain KO review

My LT305/65/18E BFG All-terrain KO’s are nearing the end of their life. I thought I’d take the time to do an honest in depth review of the tire instead of the usual reviews you find online were an individual writes a review after driving 50 miles on the tire.

The tires were mounted on stock TRD 18x8” rims. Generally speaking they saw 85% highway use and 15% off road use (farm roads, dirt, gravel, light mud). Roads in my area are fairly nice, no large tire destroying potholes but there are some exceptions. Inflated to 50-55psi.

Tread Life: 3/5
    The tread life, in my opinion, is average. Not terrible, but nothing to jump up and down about either. The tires currently have around 40,000 miles on them and I can see getting another 5,000-6,000 miles out of the tires before they reach the minimum legal tread depth of 2/32”. I live in Northern IL and with the winters we have, I’d never run tires below their legal minimum depth.

The tires wore fairly even with the outside tread block wearing slightly faster and the inside tread block wearing slightly slower. I’d attribute that difference to running a 305 tire on a relatively narrow 8” wide rim.

Traction:
    Throughout their life, I was relatively happy with the traction the tires provided.

Dry: 5/5
    Very satisfied with the dry traction. If you stomped on the gas you could still squeal the tires and the truck had no problem spinning them but that is to be expected. No problems stopping.

Wet: 5/5
    The open shoulder kept the tires from hydroplaning and still do a good job shedding water even though they are nearing the end of their life. Again, if you stomped on the gas the truck had no problems spinning the tires though. No problems stopping on wet pavement.

Snow: In 4x4: 4/5 | In 4x2: 2/5 (Ill use the 4x4 rating for the final score)
    Pleased with the snow traction in 4x4. The truck does a fantastic job planting itself when in 4x4 but that is more of a compliment for Toyota and not BFG. Snow traction in 2wd is horrific, but what do you expect with a truck??? It’s hard to give a fair rating here. I had no problems stopping, starting, turning, maintaining control, or getting through snow (up to 1’) in 4x4.

Ice: 2/5
    Well…Ice is ice and it’s slick as hell. Not much more I can say than that. If you hit it you’re going to slide no question about that. If you know how to drive in poor conditions these tires can be used with some success on ice. They’re definitely not as good as dedicated snow tires (as to be expected).

Mud: 1/5
    This is the one area where these tires let me down a little bit. They do not self-clean and can easily get clogged and stay that way. With a lot of spinning I was always able to get out but if your truck is only 2wd, forget it. You’d be stuck and going nowhere fast the KO’s seem like they have a hard time biting on muddy ground. On clay type soils or thick cake type mud (driving through damp/wet farm fields come hunting season) the tires really allow mud to build up and turn into big mud covered doughnuts fast. It looks almost ridiculous. I don’t take the truck “mudding” so I can’t comment on that type of use.

Sand: N/A
    Unable to comment. Not to many beaches or sand dunes here in farming country.

Noise: 4/5
    Not bad at all. Slightly louder than the stock “Ragged Trails” but you could easily spend hour upon hour driving at any speed and never have the tire noise bother you. No appreciable “hum” at speed like you’d get with an M/T.

Ride comfort: 4/5
    No complaints, the Tundra still rides like a truck but the KO’s definitely don’t hurt the ride. I’d actually say the KO’s ride better than the stock “Ragged Trails” but the fact that the KO’s are E rated and the 305/65/18 is much larger than the OE size could explain the difference. They don’t ride as well as an E-rated highway tire which is why I gave it a 4/5.

Stability: 5/5
    The fact that the KO’s are E rated and have a much stiffer side wall compared to the OE equipment, translated into better handling and a more confident feel when towing. Lane changes with a loaded trailer and the KO’s were much neater compared to the OE tires. Additionally, overall towing and hauling feel was improved, as was driver confidence. I was always a little uneasy about hauling or towing something heavy with the OE tires knowing the KO’s were 10ply definitely put my mind at ease.

Price/Value: 2/5
    In my opinion, slightly over priced in the 305/65/18 size. All BFG tires are excessively expensive when compare to their competitors. (At least that’s my opinion) I don’t see a reason why the KO’s are priced the way they are and I’m not sure you get “more for your money” especially considering there are a lot of other good options like the Nitto Terras and the New Toyo A/T II. (I’ll get to the new Toyo A/T II later though )

Overall:

The Good: I really can’t complain about the tires all things considered. It really comes down to what your needs are. Taking into account all the different factors I’d give them an average rating. Overall I’m satisfied with the tires…not super happy, just satisfied. The BFG’s got the job done in the end. In 4x4 I was never left wanting more grip, with the exception of muddy conditions. Virtually zero dry rot as well.

The Bad: I think price really holds them back. I get that BFG has a long history of making quality tires and a solid reputation, I’m also sure they’re proud of the KO’s, after all, they do have a long history of reliability. Still I don’t know if I’d buy them again given their price. (Entirely my opinion). Despite a few different attempts, I never could get them balanced quite right. One of the tires had developed a bad spot despite rotating them religiously every 5K. They make a slight humming type noise when turning, I actually thought my front diff was going bad but was able to confirm it was in fact the tires making the noise an producing an odd vibration in the steering wheel. They tend to wander a good bit on poor roads but I’d chalk that up to it just being a 305 tire and not a fault of BFG. Obviously the wider the tire the more they’re going to try and grab the road. Also worth mentioning, I lost 1-2mpg with the larger 305’s. (To be expected an not counted in the overall score)

BFG All Terrain KO (LT305/65/18E)
    Final Score: 35/50

TOYO:
    For my next set, I picked up the new Toyo Open Country A/T II xtreme in 305/55/20 to accompany the BMF Novakanes I have. Initial impressions are really good. The 50,000mile tread wear warranty was hard to beat and according to independent testing they last 40% longer than typical A/T tires do. I was super impressed with the new design and the 16/32” tread depth was one of the deepest available for AT’s in the 305/55/20 size. The sidewall & tread design looks awesome in person and way nicer than the BFG’s. (my opinion). I got a good deal on Black Friday from Tread Depot.com, which was a fantastic seller and couldn’t help but order a set, even though they’ll have to wait until spring to be put on the truck. (Not running the BMF’s in the winter, keeping the stock rims for that purpose). If I like the Toyo’s they’ll probably replace the BFG’s on my stock rims too.

I hope someone finds this information useful when considering which tires to purchase. My goal was to write an actual honest user and in-depth review to balance out the people that drive 50 miles then rate them as perfect.

~RadiantRedTRD
    Last edited by RadiantRedTRD; 11-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    DanielAcosta, Hippo and jmrice like this.

RADIANT RED TRD
    Color matching | aFe Power | JBA Exhaust | Pro Comp Pro Runner SS | BMF Wheels | Toyo A/T II | BHLM | Tinted |
    6000K HID | Full LED swap | Hypertech

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Re: BFG All-Terrain KO review

Nice write up. very accurate. I have the 285s and found the same. In sand they are great. Pulling my toy hauler into Pismo or glamis aried down to 15 is not a problem for these tires. I'll run into town in pismo at 20psi and they still feel good. I have 38k on them,they may make 45k but thats it.

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Thanks bilztrd! Like I said, overall I was satisfied with the tire. I think they make the Tundra look good as well and were a big improvement over stock.

Given their characteristics and price I was unable to justify spending $400-500 more to get another set in 305/55/20 when I picked up the Toyo's for a hair over $1000 and they came with a better warranty as well. The BFG's were priced in the high $1400 to low $1500 range which I found just a tad too much given competitor pricing.

RADIANT RED TRD
    Color matching | aFe Power | JBA Exhaust | Pro Comp Pro Runner SS | BMF Wheels | Toyo A/T II | BHLM | Tinted |

Liked
    44 times

I can comment on the sand rating. I would give them 4/5. They handle really nice in the sand and as long as your on the gas u won't get stuck. There was a time I was stopped in sand and gave it some gas and it dug a little but pulled itself right out. The traction was nice. I really like the k/o tires and will definitely purchase them again. I do not drive in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    103 times

Good review. I have them in 17's stock on my Rock Warrior. They are a great tire and I can add to your review a little bit.

I have 35K miles and still have about half the tread left. I drove on road about 95% of the time and have put about 15K miles towing with ZERO problems. Tires provide great stability.

We got 2 snow storms of about 20" each, 2 days apart. I had just bought the truck about 2 weeks prior and it handled perfectly. Main roads had been plowed between the storms, but my side street didn't get plowed for a week. The tires handled great in the snow.

I've driven a little in sand at the beach and never had a problem. Like a previous poster stated, you gotta keep moving, but the tires gave sufficient traction.
    2010 white RW DC
    Rostra backup camera, TRD sway bar, BHLM, LineX
    folding seat mod, dual 2.25 Powersticks
    JL Audio 8w3v3 sub w/Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Polk DB651s fronts, dash tweeter bypass
    non-relay anytime fog light mod, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

Liked
    103 times

Good review. I have them in 17's stock on my Rock Warrior. They are a great tire and I can add to your review a little bit.

I have 35K miles and still have about half the tread left. I drove on road about 95% of the time and have put about 15K miles towing with ZERO problems. Tires provide great stability.

We got 2 snow storms of about 20" each, 2 days apart. I had just bought the truck about 2 weeks prior and it handled perfectly. Main roads had been plowed between the storms, but my side street didn't get plowed for a week. The tires handled great in the snow.

I've driven a little in sand at the beach and never had a problem. Like a previous poster stated, you gotta keep moving, but the tires gave sufficient traction.
    2010 white RW DC
    Rostra backup camera, TRD sway bar, BHLM, LineX
    folding seat mod, dual 2.25 Powersticks
    JL Audio 8w3v3 sub w/Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Polk DB651s fronts, dash tweeter bypass
    non-relay anytime fog light mod, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post

The stability when towing and hauling was vastly improved over the stock P-rated rugged trails. The tundra really needs a E-rated tire from the factory. I was happy to see they put something E-rated on the RW's. I wish they'd do the same for the TRD SR5 trucks like mine is.

RADIANT RED TRD

Liked
    26 times
    Images

well said, and well written. Great tires, and they are incredibly expensive. The thing that gives me piece of mind is I got a ton of miles out of my last set of AT/ko's. 60,000 miles, which helps offset the $1,500 spent
    Parker, CO
    2007 Toyota Tundra DC
    5.7 TRD, Timberland Mica
    full tint/ Tekonsha brake controller
    spray in bed liner/ BFG AT/ko's 285/65/18
    Firestone airbags/ on board air compressor wireless controlled (related to above)
    after market attack golden retriever
    Remote Starter

'If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die... I want to go where they went'
    - Will Rogers

http://www.iamcorrect.com

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Nice write-up!! I love my KO's, though they were really pricey. I think they're excellent in the sand, but haven't had a chance to test them in the snow yet. I do notice a much stiffer ride, but I like it, it feels like a truck now. My only problem know is when I got the tires, it was at stock height. Now that I've lifted it, I want bigger tires..... but I paid a fortune for these and they probably don't have 5,000 miles on them yet.....

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lono33 View Post
    well said, and well written. Great tires, and they are incredibly expensive. The thing that gives me piece of mind is I got a ton of miles out of my last set of AT/ko's. 60,000 miles, which helps offset the $1,500 spent
    What size were they and what pressure did you run them at? 60K is a ton.

I've got a little over 40K on mine and when I looked at the tires yesterday i'm starting to rethink getting another 5K out of them.

RADIANT RED TRD

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantRedTRD View Post
    What size were they and what pressure did you run them at? 60K is a ton.

I've got a little over 40K on mine and when I looked at the tires yesterday i'm starting to rethink getting another 5K out of them.
    Yeah I have a little over 40K miles on mine too and they probabbly wont last through next summer.
    007 Crewmax TRD, 305 65R18 BFG All Terrain T/A's, Undercover tonneau upgraded to Leer 100 XL cap, line-x bed, Toyota steps, Pioneer AVICZ110/120 BT bypassed with Rostra backup camera with 2 sets of Focal 165V30's, Tekonsha Prodigy, Powerslot Rotors & Hawk Lt pads, K&N 77 Series CAI, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, OME Shocks & Springs, Low Range Offroad diff drop & blocks, TRD rear sway bar, Firestone airbags and compressor, 2012 TRD Rock Warrior Shift Knob, G-Tek Door Sill Protectors.

Liked
    212 times
    Images

nice write up RadiantRedTRD. I see your in the same neck of the woods I am

I was really close to getting a set of these last week, but went with the cooper st maxx instead.
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Liked
    53 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantRedTRD View Post
    Thanks bilztrd! Like I said, overall I was satisfied with the tire. I think they make the Tundra look good as well and were a big improvement over stock.

Given their characteristics and price I was unable to justify spending $400-500 more to get another set in 305/55/20 when I picked up the Toyo's for a hair over $1000 and they came with a better warranty as well. The BFG's were priced in the high $1400 to low $1500 range which I found just a tad too much given competitor pricing.
    You will like the Toyos. I had your BFG's for about 20K miles and was quite disappointed because there was a noticeable loss in off-road traction compared to when they were new. They also did very poorly in the snow.

The first generation Toyo A/T's lasted 55K miles and performed as well at the end as they did when new. Just went to the new Toyo A/T II and am very impressed with how much more aggressive it is than the older Toyo; it's like a mix between an A/T and a mudder. Only 1,000 miles so far on the new A/T II's. Since I got 55K on the old ones, there is no doubt the new ones will exceed their mileage warranty. BTW you got a much better price than I did.
    07 DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7 TRD exhaust, 85K miles. Truxedo Lo-Pro with deck rails. Front Susp: Stock coilovers, 4" lift (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...6-4-inch-lift/), swapped extra spacers for Bilstein 5100s on lowest setting, wheel well height still 41.5." Rear Susp: ProComp ES3000 #326510 (2.25" taller than stock), 1.25" blocks plus PRG mini-pack (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...and-new-truck/) gives 2.25" total lift, parking brake cable bracket spacers, wheel well height 43." Front diff and rear ds drop; trailer hitch electrical harness tucked up above bumper. After 21K miles swapped 305/65/18 BFG AT for 285/75/18 Toyo AT, still on stock 18x8x60 offset TRD wheels, about 1/8" clearance to sway bar. Like the extra height but miss the width. Added 5th 285/75/18 Toyo AT as spare. 75K went to new 285/75/18 Toyo AT II. Bed Bounce: Stiffer E-tires are worse than stock P-metric; biggest improvement from PRG mini-pack, slight improvement from shocks. Still a stiff ride but tolerable now. Best things about this truck: 5.7 and transmission, interior size and comfort, very quiet at high speed. Worst things about this truck: bed bounce, no VSC in 4wd, mileage sucks above 70. SOLD 8/2013

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I'm at 38k on a 275/70/18 set. Seems I will get another 12-15k left which will be right at the 50 mark as you said. I agree, too expensive.
    White 2008 Tundra CrewMax TRD 4x4

Leveled out - ReadyLIFT
    LEDs on all interior
    Husky liners
    K & N CAI

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcosta View Post
    You will like the Toyos. I had your BFG's for about 20K miles and was quite disappointed because there was a noticeable loss in off-road traction compared to when they were new. They also did very poorly in the snow.

The first generation Toyo A/T's lasted 55K miles and performed as well at the end as they did when new. Just went to the new Toyo A/T II and am very impressed with how much more aggressive it is than the older Toyo; it's like a mix between an A/T and a mudder. Only 1,000 miles so far on the new A/T II's. Since I got 55K on the old ones, there is no doubt the new ones will exceed their mileage warranty. BTW you got a much better price than I did.
    Were the Toyo's you picked up just the regular AT II or where they the AT II xtreme like mine were? When I ordered from tread depot I had assumed I was just getting the regular AT II since Toyo's website only had 35's listed as xtreme. When they showed up at my door I was pleasantly surprised when I learned 305/55/20 was one of the xtreme sizes that got the more aggressive tread pattern and shoulder design.

Like you said the tread pattern is awesome, they are a nice mix between and A/T and a mud tire. I love the way they look and can't wait to put them on in the spring.

I got them when Tread Deopt.com was having their black friday sale so shipping was free which saved me about $200. All I paid for was the tires themselves, no sales tax either. It came to $1,008 or $1,016 to my door I think. Cant remember if I paid $252 or $254 per tire...
    DanielAcosta likes this.

RADIANT RED TRD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast