Changing my wheels on my Tundra. Question about the TPMS.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Changing my wheels on my Tundra. Question about the TPMS.

Liked
    0 times

Default Changing my wheels on my Tundra. Question about the TPMS.

I just bought a 2010 Tundra. It came with the cheaper steel wheels but I was thinking about swapping those wheels out for a set of alloy wheels that come on a TRD Off Road package. I would prefer to find a set of wheels with the tires (because the tires I have are worn out) already mounted with the TPMS sensors on the wheels. Well I found a set on craigslist and my question is can I just swap out the wheels and the TPMS still work correctly with the sensors from another truck or should I take the sensors that are already on my truck and put them in the new wheels or should I take my truck somewhere to have the new sensors calibrated with my truck? This is my first vehicle with TPMS and I'm just not too sure how this works.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    12 times

Default Re: Changing my wheels on my Tundra. Question about the TPMS.

Your steel wheel sensors will not work with an alloy wheel. There are 2 different sensor types, one for steel and one for alloy. I am pretty sure you can use the ones in the new wheels if you get them programed for your truck.

Liked
    316 times
    Images

^^^^^^ Exactly!!
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    0 times

Ok thanks. Now I just have to find someone around here that can program the sensors in the new wheels to my truck. Do yall know if this can be done with one of those TPMS code readers or will someone have to break down each one of the new wheels and get the codes that way?
    Last edited by gcrebel60; 12-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Liked
    4 times

Some national tire shops do the TPMS updates on the EC for way better than the steelership. Do you have "Discount Tires" in NY state? My local TOYOTA dealer charges a minimum of 1 hr labor to reprogram the TPMS....

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    453 times
    Images

Ok to bring up an old thread. I'm thinking of doing the same as the op but I have the 18" Trd alloys and looking to pick up a set of the bbs 20s. My question is will the tpms I have work on the bbs's? The ones I'm looking at come with some but if I can avoid the cost of programming I will.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    453 times
    Images

Anyone?

All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to

she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Should work fine. TRD alloys use the 20-degree sensor, which works with aftermarket alloy wheels. It's those darn 40-degree sensors that come with styled-steel wheels that can't be used anywhere else.
    2013 DC 4x4, 5.7L, tow, ReadyLift 3"/1.5" level, 275-70-18 DuraTracs, Vision 375 wheels, Line-X

Liked
    453 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    Should work fine. TRD alloys use the 20-degree sensor, which works with aftermarket alloy wheels. It's those darn 40-degree sensors that come with styled-steel wheels that can't be used anywhere else.
    Thanks.

Seafoam how to