Frame Rust Campaign - 2007-08 Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Rust Campaign - 2007-08 Tundra

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Frame Rust Campaign - 2007-08 Tundra

Anyone else get the letter about the CRC Application for frame rust? I got mine recently, and I am wondering if any owners here have had it done? Maybe some first gen owners can chime in?

I understand Toyota is spraying the frames with Noxudol? How does this stuff hold up over the long run? Anyone have it on their truck for a few years (1st Gen)?

I had my truck rustproofed by Krown (which is probably the best aftermarket rustproofer IMO, I have used it for 15 years). Before that, I had some surface rust on the frame. I went around and cleaned most of it then painted the frame with Eastwood's rust encapsulator before the Krown was applied.

I'd like to know exactly how this stuff works and if it actually works before I get Toyota to do it to my truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    332 times
    Images

Default Re: Frame Rust Campaign - 2007-08 Tundra

Also a firm believer in rustproofing, especially with Krown. I'm not worried about my frame or any of my panels rotting out. Not much need in trying to figure out how to fix a problem if you prevent it in the first place.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    294 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
    Also a firm believer in rustproofing, especially with Krown. I'm not worried about my frame or any of my panels rotting out. Not much need in trying to figure out how to fix a problem if you prevent it in the first place.
    I agree, just do not understand why Toyota cannot figure this out after 15+ years starting with the T100 and forward gens of trucks.

I still find it hard to accept this problem has migrated to the early 2nd gens that have been in the field only 5 years or so. What part of
    rust (salt states and snow) does Toyota not understand or do they think all trucks live in the sunshine states?????
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Liked
    387 times
    Images

i wonder who was making the frames for the 2007-08 tundras. i hope it isnt the Dana-Spicer company.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 204,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" Sub with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Offroad LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    332 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbtoy View Post
    I agree, just do not understand why Toyota cannot figure this out after 15+ years starting with the T100 and forward gens of trucks.

I still find it hard to accept this problem has migrated to the early 2nd gens that have been in the field only 5 years or so. What part of
    rust (salt states and snow) does Toyota not understand or do they think all trucks live in the sunshine states?????
    Maybe this is a dumb question or has been answered but what is the actual root cause of the problem? Are the frames not coated properly on all or do only some have issues? Are the frames built and coated by more than one off site supplier?
    I work at a Toyota plant and all cars are built the same. The are all dipped, not sprayed, and all have to be made the same way. There's is no way to bypass these systems so I dont get how only some truck frames can be bad while others are not.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    387 times
    Images

i no for the first gens it was the metal that the dana company was using and wasnt treating it correctly before it even got to the factory. thats was causing the frames to rust out from the inside out.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 204,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" Sub with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Offroad LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    0 times

I brought mine into dealer yesterday and they said they were not set up yet to do the rustproofing but a tech said he was to believe they are rusting from the inside out.

Liked
    294 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question or has been answered but what is the actual root cause of the problem? Are the frames not coated properly on all or do only some have issues? Are the frames built and coated by more than one off site supplier?
    I work at a Toyota plant and all cars are built the same. The are all dipped, not sprayed, and all have to be made the same way. There's is no way to bypass these systems so I dont get how only some truck frames can be bad while others are not.
    There is no dumb question here. Toyota has been known to have some of the best practices in problem solving and fool proofing
    for mfg processes. I still struggle with this type of dialog going on in Quality or Field Feedback roundtables. Imagine...

T100's are rusting in the field. Boys, need a corrective action as stated from the boss
    Tacos are rusting in the field. Boys, we need a better corrective action as stated from the boss.
    First Gen Tundras rusting in the field. Boys, can somone get me a damn solution here (CRC) to fix this problem.
    2nd Gen now rusting in the field. Boys, I am getting tired of this BS. Someone check our frame supplier and try to figure
    out what the heck is going on. Consumers are complaining all the time and we are losing
    money with these constant band-aid fixes. Let's get to the damn ROOT CAUSE!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tundra3400 View Post
    i no for the first gens it was the metal that the dana company was using and wasnt treating it correctly before it even got to the factory. thats was causing the frames to rust out from the inside out.
    The frames are somewhat understood. Still does not address rusting beds, control arms, idle arms, rear tire
    carrier, rear end housings, etc. The frame is only a part of the problem.
    Last edited by jbtoy; 12-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

On my truck, it just seems like the paint is really poor on the frame. The spots that had the surface rust had been from the paint being worn away. The rear of my truck had the most rust, but it was nothing major, just minor stuff, which I spent the time to clean and paint. Still, I would think a 2008 truck should have none, even without rustproofing going through winters. The front section of my frame was near perfect, and the side rails weren't bad either. I don't see any rust at all inside the frame on my truck. The majority of the frame on these Tundra's is open, so I don't know how'd it'd rust from the inside out? I know some fully boxed frames used to be bad for that, especially with thin steel.

Preferred Dealer
    Liked
    55 times
    Images

The triple tech frame is going to rot out where the reinforced C channel is. If Toyota vehicles didn't rust away, they would all still be driving around.
    Brian
    Jowett HD Tundra Parts

Driving the Tundra aftermarket forward.

ARB 10.5" Locking Differentials now Available!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    brian@jowettengineering.com
    www.jowettengineering.com

Liked
    7 times

Any updates / experiences with the frame rust campaign? Anyone get their truck to a dealer to have it done?
    2007 5.7L DC TRD 4x4
    2014 5.7L DC TRD 4x4

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

my 08 frame is a little rusty but all the hardware, nuts and bolts on the truck are junk. u cant even recognize them. most will have to be cut off if i ever have to remove them. i must of got one that wasnt coated enough.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

I had mine done last week. I only took a quick look at what they did but the frame looks freshly sprayed with a textured paint. There was a little overspray onto my shocks and sway bar but I wasn't too concerned about it. Prior to this the only real rust I'd seen underneath was on the 7-pin trailer connector.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Can you post some pics of the work if you have time and don't mind? I take it the coating drys hard like a paint, it doesn't stay soft like an undercoat?

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Are all 2007 Tundras covered? I just bought mine and there seems to be some surface rust on the differential and around the trailer hitch. When I changed the oil for the first time (which is a total pain in the butt) I notices more surface rust in the front end. I would like to have Toyota fix it so I don't have to. Otherwise, I will use some of Eastwood rust treatment.

Thanks guys, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast