Pictures Tundra tow mirrors at different angles

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 11Tundra
  • 1 Post By DanielAcosta

Thread: Tundra tow mirrors at different angles

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Tundra tow mirrors at different angles

I recently installed a set of tow mirrors on my truck. After a couple days i realized that the drivers side mirror comes straighter off of the truck than the passenger side mirror. All bolts are equally tightened. Both mirrors are seated tightly and properly to the outer door panels.
    1st picture is drivers side. 2nd picture is the passenger side with the tool locked in at the angle taken off of the drivers side. 3rd picture is from the front. If you look at the gap between the two arms on the mirror, you can clearly see what I'm talking about. I bought them off of e-bay. Hopefuly I didn't get screwed.

Is it suppose to be like this?
    Is it possible that the sport mirrors that were on my truck were like this as well and I just didn't realize it because they're smaller?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	930 
Size:	555.5 KB 
ID:	92362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	92363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1623 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	92364

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    110 times

Default Re: Tundra tow mirrors at different angles

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig22 View Post
    I recently installed a set of tow mirrors on my truck. After a couple days i realized that the drivers side mirror comes straighter off of the truck than the passenger side mirror. All bolts are equally tightened. Both mirrors are seated tightly and properly to the outer door panels.
    1st picture is drivers side. 2nd picture is the passenger side with the tool locked in at the angle taken off of the drivers side. 3rd picture is from the front. If you look at the gap between the two arms on the mirror, you can clearly see what I'm talking about. I bought them off of e-bay. Hopefuly I didn't get screwed.

Is it suppose to be like this?
    Is it possible that the sport mirrors that were on my truck were like this as well and I just didn't realize it because they're smaller?
    My guess there's nothing wrong and it was designed that way. The driver and passenger-side mirrors have two different line-of-sight requirements (roughly 45-60 degrees for the driver's side and approx. 65-80 degrees for the passenger side). This is because the driver is forced to sit much farther away from the passenger-side mirror. My hunch is the manufacturer used a different angle on the passenger side mirror assembly to accommodate for this line-of-sight difference.

FWIW, it's for this very same reason they have that classic warning, "Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear", only on the passenger-side mirror. Due to the increased distance to the passenger-side mirror they had to make the mirror "convex" in shape in order to retain a safe field-of-view .

Just my two cent guess
    ToyBob likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I located another tundra with what appear to be factory OEM tow mirrors and I noticed that his mirrors were the same. Guess they're designed that way. Wierd, but what 11Tundra said above makes sense I guess. I'll have to live with it and try not to notice it anymore. No one else sees it unless I point it out. So I'll stop pointing it out now.

Liked
    407 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 11Tundra View Post
    My guess there's nothing wrong and it was designed that way. The driver and passenger-side mirrors have two different line-of-sight requirements (roughly 45-60 degrees for the driver's side and approx. 65-80 degrees for the passenger side). This is because the driver is forced to sit much farther away from the passenger-side mirror. My hunch is the manufacturer used a different angle on the passenger side mirror assembly to accommodate for this line-of-sight difference.

FWIW, it's for this very same reason they have that classic warning, "Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear", only on the passenger-side mirror. Due to the increased distance to the passenger-side mirror they had to make the mirror "convex" in shape in order to retain a safe field-of-view .

Just my two cent guess
    I dont believe the passenger side mirror is convex with tow mirrors. As you said, they put that warning on convex mirrors and that is not on these mirrors. Possibly also the reason why I hate my tow mirrors. Not as large of a viewing area as with the convex ones. I find the blind spot with tow mirrors to be massive on the passenger side.
    And before anyone asks, no, I do not want to trade them. At least not at this point anyways.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    53 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
    I dont believe the passenger side mirror is convex with tow mirrors. As you said, they put that warning on convex mirrors and that is not on these mirrors. Possibly also the reason why I hate my tow mirrors. Not as large of a viewing area as with the convex ones. I find the blind spot with tow mirrors to be massive on the passenger side.
    And before anyone asks, no, I do not want to trade them. At least not at this point anyways.
    Yes, the blind spot on the right is huge, but with the combination of the large upper mirror plus lower convex mirror, it works out fine. I can't imagine not having the tow mirrors.
    VC-17 likes this.
    07 DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7 TRD exhaust, 85K miles. Truxedo Lo-Pro with deck rails. Front Susp: Stock coilovers, 4" lift (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...6-4-inch-lift/), swapped extra spacers for Bilstein 5100s on lowest setting, wheel well height still 41.5." Rear Susp: ProComp ES3000 #326510 (2.25" taller than stock), 1.25" blocks plus PRG mini-pack (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...and-new-truck/) gives 2.25" total lift, parking brake cable bracket spacers, wheel well height 43." Front diff and rear ds drop; trailer hitch electrical harness tucked up above bumper. After 21K miles swapped 305/65/18 BFG AT for 285/75/18 Toyo AT, still on stock 18x8x60 offset TRD wheels, about 1/8" clearance to sway bar. Like the extra height but miss the width. Added 5th 285/75/18 Toyo AT as spare. 75K went to new 285/75/18 Toyo AT II. Bed Bounce: Stiffer E-tires are worse than stock P-metric; biggest improvement from PRG mini-pack, slight improvement from shocks. Still a stiff ride but tolerable now. Best things about this truck: 5.7 and transmission, interior size and comfort, very quiet at high speed. Worst things about this truck: bed bounce, no VSC in 4wd, mileage sucks above 70. SOLD 8/2013

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the factory tow mirrors on my 07 Tundra and they are awful. I cant see and there is a hugh blind spot.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

I have after market tow mirrors on my 2012 Tundra. They also have different angles to the truck. That is necessary because the driver sits on one side of the vehicle and the right mirror must be angled a bit more toward the driver. My mirrors don't have convex surfaces and the blind spot on the right is very dangerous. The mirrors do have bottom narrow convex mirrors that help, but basically I don't like the mirrors. I'd like to find an upgrade or a way to attach a convex full-size mirror glass to the existing right side mirror.

Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by ITSDISP View Post
    I have the factory tow mirrors on my 07 Tundra and they are awful. I cant see and there is a hugh blind spot.
    You probably don't have them setup properly. It's OK because a majority of people don't set their mirrors correctly. If you can see the side of your vehicle, then they aren't properly aligned. The side mirrors and the center rearview mirror are supposed to provide a panoramic view. I had regular mirrors but swapped them for tow mirrors. It was uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it. Except when passing, I hardly look at the flat mirrors anymore.

Here is a link with pictures:
    How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by asianflava View Post
    You probably don't have them setup properly. It's OK because a majority of people don't set their mirrors correctly. If you can see the side of your vehicle, then they aren't properly aligned. The side mirrors and the center rearview mirror are supposed to provide a panoramic view. I had regular mirrors but swapped them for tow mirrors. It was uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it. Except when passing, I hardly look at the flat mirrors anymore.

Here is a link with pictures:
    How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
    Ihave been set up the way the Car & Driver article suggests for years. It only took about a short time to adust to this method, but now I can't imagine having the mirrors set up any other way.

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

I thought the regular mirrors on my 07 were better, but I have to use the Reese extension mirrors to tow my 34' travel trailer. This works OK but not great. However all four of the our company work Tundras have tow mirrors and now I prefer them greatly. Little short ass me (5' 6" on a good day) adjusted all the small convex mirrors so I could just see the back corners of the truck on the inside edge and adjusted the tilt so the ground beside the back of the truck was in view.

Example of how to adjust. Back up to a wall so your bumper is just about to touch. The mirror should just about show the bottom of the wall and just barely show the truck. Then place something on the walls 3 ft (about where the car in the next lane would be) away from the sides of the truck at taillight level. Pull ahead until the somethings are JUST in view in the interior mirror. Then set your exterior mirrors so the somethings are JUST in view. Height adjustment is personal preference but I use bumper height on the wall for the bottom edge. When you get accustom to this you will find there are NO blind spots. Remember you should not move your head around to look in the mirrors just your eyes. If you do move your head (like I have to as I wear glasses) keep your head centered, don't lean over.

Bizarrely enough none of my coworkers touch my adjustments, most of them tower over me except the one from Laos. He can walk under my out stretched arm. And he never uses mirrors anyway.

Yes I am looking for tow mirrors for my Tundra!!!
    Last edited by Redtundrawpg; 12-17-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: clairifcation

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.