Question 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior ride

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior ride

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior ride

Hello,

First post ever. I have had my 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior for about 5 months now. It has 20" BMF Novakane wheels with 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, and it seems like a rough ride. I am contemplating buying the stock Rock Warrior TRD 17" wheels to try to get a smoother ride. Will my ride be smoother if i kept the 20" and put a 275/55/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or will i have to go with the smaller wheel to get the better ride. Also, i might be selling the wheels if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    32 times

Default Re: 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior ride

With the Nitto tires it should be smooth. You are probally running to much air pressure do you have the truck level with spacer kit ?

Liked
    24 times

Your ride should not be much different between the two honestly. As G-Budd said, check the air pressure. You've got the cat's meow wheels and tires. If you have the cash, keep them and get some stockers. You are in wheeling paradise down in PV. I'd be crazy to take those BMF's out there and destroy them.

Liked
    11 times

[QUOTE=firefightermike;1843941]Hello,

First post ever. I have had my 2009 Tundra Rock Warrior for about 5 months now. It has 20" BMF Novakane wheels with 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, and it seems like a rough ride. I am contemplating buying the stock Rock Warrior TRD 17" wheels to try to get a smoother ride. Will my ride be smoother if i kept the 20" and put a 275/55/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or will i have to go with the smaller wheel to get the better ride. Also, i might be selling the wheels if anyone is interested.

I would agree with checking the pressure to see if its too high. I would also check to see what ply the tires are. If they are 8 or 10 ply you are going to have a rougher ride. If you go to the 275 55 20 you will be losing over 1/2" of sidewall which will probably be a little stiffer than what you have. If your wheels are wide and need the 305 you will be stretching the sidewall of the 275 making it even stiffer. If you want to change tires a 275/60 will be much closer to the size that you currently have. I recently bought 275 60 20 cooper at3 from discount tire direct on ebay. At the time discount tire was offering a $100 rebate and cooper had a $75 rebate. If you want to replace your tires I would hold out for a little while to see if either/both of the rebates will come back.

Liked
    224 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by firefightermike View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for your help!
    What air pressure are you running?

And yes, 20" wheels vs 17" wheels will make a difference due to less tire sidewall between the two.

I have 17" rock warrior wheels and new cooper st maxx tires which are load E. I run 45psi now and the ride is fine, it's actually better than when I had my P285/70/17 firestones due to the extra weight of the tire.

they run butter smooth and only have a little tire noise for how aggressive they are. (more aggressive than the Nittos)
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla exhaust
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you all for the answers. I am currently running the tires at 43 psi. I will drop it a little more and see what it does for the ride. I do have a leveling kit put on that allows 33" tires.

Liked
    224 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by firefightermike View Post
    Thank you all for the answers. I am currently running the tires at 43 psi. I will drop it a little more and see what it does for the ride. I do have a leveling kit put on that allows 33" tires.
    you don't need the level kit for 33". the rock warrior comes stock with 33" LT285/70/17. My st maxx are a full 33" with 18.5 32nds of tread, and I am full stock with rock warrior wheels, limited TRD truck

I think it may be the 20" dubs...They are well known to degrade the ride quality vs 16" or 17" wheels with tons of sidewall.

go drive a stock rock warrior at the dealer for a free comparison and then you'll know for sure.
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla exhaust
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Will Do thanks! Anybody else have the Nitto Terra Grapplers? And what pressure you running them?

Liked
    32 times

i beleive most people run 35psi on a 33inch tires on these trucks. it works for me and many others. ran 35 psi on my z-71 with 315-70-17 duratracs or bfgs and no problems.also a spacer level kit will and sometimes affect ride quality. like the other memebrs here have said drop the air down. try 35psi and run it for a while. also find out what level kit you have on your truck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM