Question 2007 tundra electrical problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tundra Tin Man
  • 1 Post By NJGUY122

Thread: 2007 tundra electrical problem

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default 2007 tundra electrical problem

My problem is the dash and head lights flicker while driving and sometimes they will go out momentarily along with the radio and gauges, the engine speed and performance are not affected. The battery is fully charged and the alternator is new and load test good. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: 2007 tundra electrical problem

Sounds like a bad ground to me. I don't think the headlights and the dash lights are on the same circuit so it would have to be a major ground if it was. Unfortunately I'm no expert, I turn to these guys for all my wiring advice. Someone here will have a good idea I'm sure.
    2008 Crewmax SR5 TRD, Flowmasters, Leveling kit, Blacked out grill, Plastidip OEM Wheels

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

I was thinking a ground issue but all the grounds are clean and tight, the flickering and loss of the lights can be affected by acceleration also.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Still haveing this problem, dash and head lights flicker while driving and sometimes they will go out momentarily along with the radio and gauges, the engine speed and performance are not affected. The battery is fully charged and the alternator is new and load test good. Any help would be appreciated. the problem is made worse with acceleration. I have a after market remote start with the security bypass for the chip in the key, could the bypass be going bad causing problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Liked
    8 times

Ask MENDONSY, who is the keeper of all things electrical............
    mendonsy likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man,
    if he's too old to fight, he'll just KILL YOU

Tundra Tin Man

Liked
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by NJGUY122 View Post
    Still haveing this problem, dash and head lights flicker while driving and sometimes they will go out momentarily along with the radio and gauges, the engine speed and performance are not affected. The battery is fully charged and the alternator is new and load test good. Any help would be appreciated. the problem is made worse with acceleration. I have a after market remote start with the security bypass for the chip in the key, could the bypass be going bad causing problems? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry to hear you're still having problems. FWIW, there are hundreds of grounds on this truck. I'd take a guess and say you've probably got an intermittent ground somewhere in your dash that's in common with your dash lights, headlight switch, radio, etc. The fact it's worse when you accelerate may lead one to believe it's also vibration related. I've attached the schematic for the Gen2 Tundra which might prove useful.

Unfortunately, the fact that you've had an aftermarket remote start installed kinda complicates things because it may add another variable into your problem equation. There's no telling what he may bumped, disconnected, and/or modified. Unless the person who installed your remote starter gave you a schematic of what he installed it may make troubleshooting more difficult.

Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 11Tundra; 01-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Liked
    318 times
    Images

Thanks TTM!! I was just looking in my PDF library on TS for the wiring diagram.
    I am inclined to agree that it's a connection problem. Maybe this wiring diagram will help you find it.
    headlights.pdf
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    779 times
    Images

i had a similar problem after i installed a new alternator but i never experienced them totally going out. even though im not a 2nd gen owner i would take a look at the harness plug that is on the back of the alternator. this plug it what tells you if the alternator malfunctions like if the belt flies off and brings up the battery light on the dash. without it making a good connection it can cause the alternator to cycle on and off rapidly or even go off for a few secs and then flash back up.

but most likely its a ground issue but this is worth a shot to check off the list of things to check.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    68 times

The second I read after market remote starter I question the installation and its connections. I would start there and see how it is tied in and confirm the connections are sound and secured especially since you mention acceleration affects it and probably rough roads. That is where I would start.

Your headlights probably flicker with the dash because the dash powers the headlight switch and relays for them.
    Hewitt Tech Inc Webstore Home of the Original SAIS Bypass Kit

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks for all the help, I have a lot to work with now and the diagrams will be a big help I'll update you if I figure it out.
    DanielAcosta likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Did you ever find an answer to your problem? I have had similar symptoms on mine and believe it may be the alternator getting ready to die.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.