Question What kind of tires???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By northwest

Thread: What kind of tires???

Liked
    3 times

Default What kind of tires???

Okay...I need new rubber but don't want mpg to suffer. I have a 4x4CM TRD.....what tires will get the most life with the best mileage??

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Default Re: What kind of tires???

Stay with "P" series for the best mileage. Hankook ATM RF10 or Cooper AT3 are excellent choices for all-terrain. You can't beat Michelin LTX M/S for highway. 255/70/18 (32.2" x 10.3") is Tundra's stock narrow tire compared to the optional 275/65/18 (32.2" x 11") wider tires. Narrow gets better mileage. Moving to "LT" 10-ply adds another 10 lbs, which slightly impacts mileage. You'll see the hardest hit to mileage with mud tires. Plan on losing a couple mpg with those heavier, high rolling resistance tires. Good luck.

Bottom line, 255/70/18 with Michelin LTX M/S will get you the best mileage and life.
    Last edited by northwest; 12-27-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    11Tundra likes this.
    2013 DC 4x4, 5.7L, tow, ReadyLift 3"/1.5" level, 275-70-18 DuraTracs, Vision 375 wheels, Line-X

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

If you go off road at all or have snow conditions then I would recommend the BF Goodrich All Terrain K/O tires. These tires have great traction and I got 50,000 miles out of mine with rotation every 5,000 miles. They may not be the best for MPG but they are great tires.
    No amount of success at work, can make up for failure at home.

Liked
    305 times
    Images

I'll put in a vote for the Cooper AT3's. I have the Cooper ATR's (the older version) on my Tundra and the AT3's on our Sprinter van. They have both worked out very well for mileage and traction.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Just recently purchased a set of Michelin LTX A/T2s for mine. On the pricey side, but a great tire. Very comfortable ride. You can't beat the 60K treadwear warranty.
    2010 DCab SR5 4.6l Pyrite Mica
    TRD Off-Road Pkg
    TRD perf intake
    TRD rear sway bar

Liked
    11 times

I put the Cooper AT3 on mine. Someone posted that Consumer Reports rated them #1 for A/T tires

Rookie
    Liked
    4 times

+1 on the Cooper AT3s

20,000 miles in 1.5 years. 90% tread left.

Great for Minnesota winters. I bought them the day after they were available to replace my ATRs. I did get high-centered on a 4' drift last winter, but no tire would have helped.

That being said, my wife's Subaru with Cooper Weathermaster snow tires puts all trucks to shame in the snow. Seriously, it's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Liked
    5 times

i went with general grabber at2 on my 07 dc and they are awesome.

Liked
    186 times

Cheapest tires to run are take off 255/70 stock tires.

Liked
    3 times

Thanks for the comments....General Grabbers are on national back order. It's between the Michelin LTX A/T 2 and the Bridgestone REVO Dueler AT2.....thoughts? Oh yeah....wanting to stay with a "P" rated fire for the best gas mileage.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

i have been impressed with Revo's first set lasted 50k and still had a little left...just put on the second set...great tire

Liked
    53 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ABAD08TRD View Post
    Okay...I need new rubber but don't want mpg to suffer. I have a 4x4CM TRD.....what tires will get the most life with the best mileage??

Thumbs up to Michelin LTX and Toyo A/T, especially the new Toyo A/T II. Thumbs down to BFG A/T, which were half worn after only 20K miles, were bad in snow, and had a noticeable loss in traction after the first 15K miles.
    07 DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7 TRD exhaust, 85K miles. Truxedo Lo-Pro with deck rails. Front Susp: Stock coilovers, 4" lift (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...6-4-inch-lift/), swapped extra spacers for Bilstein 5100s on lowest setting, wheel well height still 41.5." Rear Susp: ProComp ES3000 #326510 (2.25" taller than stock), 1.25" blocks plus PRG mini-pack (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...and-new-truck/) gives 2.25" total lift, parking brake cable bracket spacers, wheel well height 43." Front diff and rear ds drop; trailer hitch electrical harness tucked up above bumper. After 21K miles swapped 305/65/18 BFG AT for 285/75/18 Toyo AT, still on stock 18x8x60 offset TRD wheels, about 1/8" clearance to sway bar. Like the extra height but miss the width. Added 5th 285/75/18 Toyo AT as spare. 75K went to new 285/75/18 Toyo AT II. Bed Bounce: Stiffer E-tires are worse than stock P-metric; biggest improvement from PRG mini-pack, slight improvement from shocks. Still a stiff ride but tolerable now. Best things about this truck: 5.7 and transmission, interior size and comfort, very quiet at high speed. Worst things about this truck: bed bounce, no VSC in 4wd, mileage sucks above 70. SOLD 8/2013

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Yokohama geolander AT-s are a great tire for the money. ran mine about 60k before they were worn out mixed dirt and highway driving.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

I've been using nitto trail grapplers 37x12.50x20 for 3 1/2 years on the first set, these tires have been amazing. I just replaced 2 of them with 3/8" tread still left on them. These tires have been excellent in all driving conditions, I have zero complaints. For a mud tire design they are almost totally silent thats incredible. I drive 70% on pavement, and the rest off-road. I've never been stuck with these tires they pull thru everything as long as your air pressure is around 20psi, I run 45 psi on the pavement. I have tried nitto mud grapplers and they lasted 8 months, nitto terra grapplers were the worst at 7 months, I totally recommend the trail grapplers as long as you rotate and keep up on the air pressure regularly. Good Luck
    2007 DC 4.7 4X4
    JBA Dual exhaust side exit
    AFE intake/filter
    Pro Comp 6" lift
    3" Body lift
    Incubus Shylock 20x9 wheels
    37x12.5x20 Nitto trail grapplers
    Rancher HD front bumper custom
    12,000lb winch
    4 KC daylighter lights
    Custom rear bumper
    Optima yellow top battery