Question Back up camers for a shell/canopy

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Back up camers for a shell/canopy

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default Back up camers for a shell/canopy

Hi,
    I am getting a shell/cap put on my truck and wanted to put a back up camera on it. My searches on this Forum have only turned up cameras designed for the license plate holder, bumper, or the tailgate handle. I have found a company Tadi Brothers http://www.tadibrothers.com/ that have some interesting products.
    I want to use the camera as a general safety feature, to help with hitching up when I am alone, and backing the trailer up when I am alone. My current train of thought is to mount it on top of the shell.

I have no experience with backup cameras so I am looking for your input about their durability and usability. Will the camera hold up driving the washboard desert/forest roads (very dusty!) here in Idaho? Does the night vision really work? Will it allow me to back into a primitive campground in the dark? Will I really be able to see that stump before I hit it?
    Thanks in Advance

TB

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    305 times
    Images

Default Re: Back up camers for a shell/canopy

They have some nice looking kits, but their prices seem to be a bit higher than some.
    I suspect that one of their commercial systems (Fedex van type) would hold up OK under those conditions.
    How well they work varies a LOT between manufacturers. Some are good, others are JUNK! Dust on the lens won't help any of them though.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    8 times

I have a shell on mine, and have found the tailgate handle camera from the factory allows me to easily connect up with trailer or squeeze into tight parking places. Find a friend that has the factory setup and check it out.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

I can't go with the tailgate handle version if I get the shell I am leaning towards, ARE MX with the full door.
    No friends with back up cams
    TB
    Last edited by TundraBiology; 01-07-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Liked
    8 times

I see the tailgate handle solution won't work with a full door shell, good luck with finding a solution, I'm sure there are others in the same position.

Just remember that whatever solution you come up with since you are mounting it on the rear either the camera or display must flip the picture for it to be viewed correctly.
    Last edited by eclipse3g; 01-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Why not just get the OE camera hardware and reroute / extend the stock wiring to mount it where you want?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Matt
    2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platinum 4x4

Liked
    305 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
    Why not just get the OE camera hardware and reroute / extend the stock wiring to mount it where you want?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Good point! The OEM camera kits work well and are readily available from places like Sparks.
    The only problem will be mounting the camera to the MX shell. Maybe you could find a spot on the rear door to mount it?
    My MX has the other style door so it's not going to help.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    186 times

There are lots of cameras out there. If you are handy, You can save lots of money by getting a generic camera. The license plate is a good option. I think better than the roof. You could mount one in or on one of the doors also.
    I have been using a plate mount cheapo for years and have parked the truck in a hundred very tight places and it has kept me from hitting stuff while coming very close. It also is great for hooking up any of my trailers.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

Thank you to all for the input. I checked out the OEM cameras at Sparks and the price is right. If I went this route where do you suggest I mount it. My original thought of putting it on the roof of the canopy was that this position would give me the best view of not only of the hitch but of everything behind me (traffic, backing up, kids, etc, and the hitch).

How is the night vision capability of the OEM camera?

I also found this vendor/product. What do you think? Anyone have any interaction with these guys?
    RV/Bus Camera System Complete Kit with 7" Single Screen + 1 CCD Camera - Commercial Camera from Camera Source Systems

I should mention that this would be my first auto DYI project. But I have some experience around the yard and house.

Thanks
    TB

Liked
    305 times
    Images

I considered installing the OEM camera on my MX cap, but I couldn't find any location that was at the correct angle for anything but bird watching.
    If your MX has the full rear door there might be somewhere in the door that you could mount it.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf