My boring white tundra - need help

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My boring white tundra - need help

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy My boring white tundra - need help

Just took delivery of a new super white DC 4x4 with SR5 package. I am struggling with this enormous white boring looking truck with black accents. I don't want to bling it out with a bunch of chrome but I've got to do something along the sides. I added the factory fender flares which has helped. I'm amazed at the suttle differences between my Gen 1 SR5 which had some bodyside molding and chrome sideview mirrors but it was a smaller truck. I've decided on some Ionic Gladiator steps in black that has a little brushed aluminum exposed. Has anyone considered adding bodyside molding to a Gen2? The way the side panels petrude out seem to be a natural useful place for a strip of molding. I have stared down almost every pickup I see and I like the color keyed molding on other trucks. Pinstriping would help break up the side also but I'm on the fence about that.

Any suggestions for this confused owner would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    21 times

Default Re: My boring white tundra - need help

I think this would look sharp on a white truck

image.jpg
    1986 Toyota Dlx Pickup 4x4 7" Lift 35x15 5:29 Gears Posi (First Yoda) Sold
    1989 Toyota Dlx Pickup 4x4 3" Lift 33x12 Sold
    2000 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 Sold
    2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Sold
    2012 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Current Ride

Liked
    23 times

It's all in your taste and what you want the truck to be functionally. The path for a off road truck is a lot different that a 4x4 street driver and so on. Sit down and decide what you want to end up with and go from there.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Good advice! the Tundras I see with big lifts and large tires look real good to me because it puts everthing in the right size proportionally. For me, I would like to level up the truck with some Bilstein 5100's on the front and put as big a tire I can on the factory wheels. The fender flares look good but makes the tires sit way inside. If this makes sense I want a leveled / tamed street 4x4 that doesn't look like a 2wd

Liked
    3 times

I know you said you don't want to go the chrome route but I found out first hand that it really does help the look of the Super White. I've replaced all handles (door and tailgate) with chrome and the mirror caps. Also added the step bars, billet grille, and chrome bull bar. While I am not usually the biggest chrome fan I don't regret one single bit of it on this truck. Picture of it in my sig.

2007 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 5.7L V8 Super White
    Sony XAV-62BT w/Alpine KTX-C10LP Backup Camera, Infinity 9633cf/6032cf speakers with JL JX3604/4 amp, JL CP108LGW3 sub with JL JK360/2 amp , Precision Billet Grille Overlays, Volant CAI, TRD Leather Shift Knob, Westin 31-5250 Bull Bar, Premium Window Tint, WeatherTech Digital-Fit Mats, Chrome Handles, Chrome Mirror Covers, Tundra Door Sill Protectors, Smittybilt Chrome Step Bars, Clifford 570.4x Remote Start Alarm, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by GolferguyCP View Post
    I know you said you don't want to go the chrome route but I found out first hand that it really does help the look of the Super White. I've replaced all handles (door and tailgate) with chrome and the mirror caps. Also added the step bars, billet grille, and chrome bull bar. While I am not usually the biggest chrome fan I don't regret one single bit of it on this truck. Picture of it in my sig.
    I agree. I wanted the step to match the bumper and I'm glad I did. I also went with the crome handles and gas cover. I also put deep tint around the rear and back windows, and out the front two windows to legal spec. The tint made a huge difference offsetting the white, and the chrome added a little brighter color than white to make the white not look so bright. I went with black wheels and tires to match the windows. I like the look.

There's alot you can do to spice up white.
    2008 Tundra, DC, SR5, 5.7L, 2WD, TRD Offroad&lt;br&gt;<br>
    Tow package with Tekonsha P3 Electric Break Controller, Flowmaster 40 series w/ dual exhaust, XD Series Rockstars on 32" Cooper AT3, 15% tint, SS Step rails, Spray in Bed Liner, Pioneer Navi Sound System w/ Back-up Camera<br>16' Kaufman flatbed auto-trailer with Equalizer WDH, Mac's tiedowns, Warn 1700 w/ tow hitch mount

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Good points.... I was thinking the white/black theme on the truck due to the handles, grille and mirrors but since ya'll brought it up I do like the chrome also. I have the basic SR5 dull silver aluminum wheels so that was my main reason for not wanting to go chrome thinking it would look mismatched. The polished wheels you have Golferguy look so much better on super white than mine I may consider sometime of an aftermarket polished wheel that will give a little wider stance.

Thanks for help guys, I was getting a little bummed

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
    Good points.... I was thinking the white/black theme on the truck due to the handles, grille and mirrors but since ya'll brought it up I do like the chrome also. I have the basic SR5 dull silver aluminum wheels so that was my main reason for not wanting to go chrome thinking it would look mismatched. The polished wheels you have Golferguy look so much better on super white than mine I may consider sometime of an aftermarket polished wheel that will give a little wider stance.

Thanks for help guys, I was getting a little bummed
    Anytime! The wheels I have are the stock TRD wheels. You can find tons of them for sale on Craigslist. I know here in Dallas there are 5 or 6 sets of them for sale....as cheap as $300 for all four. If you're not looking at adding a high end aftermarket wheel and want these alloys then I def think you can get them for a very fair price. I agree...the aluminum wheels don't do anything for the super white.

Check the forums here and on tundratalk.net That is where I found my chrome handles and mirror caps and got them for half of what new retail cost is. The grille is just a Precision overlay. Stock grille is still underneath but you can't tell at all. Super easy to install and makes a drastic upgrade to the look of the truck.

Sony XAV-62BT w/Alpine KTX-C10LP Backup Camera, Infinity 9633cf/6032cf speakers with JL JX3604/4 amp, JL CP108LGW3 sub with JL JK360/2 amp , Precision Billet Grille Overlays, Volant CAI, TRD Leather Shift Knob, Westin 31-5250 Bull Bar, Premium Window Tint, WeatherTech Digital-Fit Mats, Chrome Handles, Chrome Mirror Covers, Tundra Door Sill Protectors, Smittybilt Chrome Step Bars, Clifford 570.4x Remote Start Alarm, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

I like the looks of the Precision grill cover and the TRD wheels. I will definately put those on the wish list. Also, I'm thinking white door handles. Thanks for the suggestions. BTW: Where is the best place to get that grill?

Liked
    407 times
    Images

I agree on the tint big time. That will really create a good contrast. And provide some UV protection for the truck as well as keeping it cooler.
    On a different note, if you have not already bought your running boards, e mail billy@autocustoms.com or pm him here. Supporting vendor who gives discounts to us members. I bought the same ones you mentioned only with black caps but my truck is black. Best bars I have ever had.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks cheapskate.... I actually saw a post you made on the Gladiators and then looked them up. A little running board look but my truck is going to be a simple leveled street 4x4 not a murdered out off road monster. BTW, I have the legal tint on the front doors which I like. I will contact Billy for a quote on the Ionics. I think the black the black cap versions will compliment my white truck.

Liked
    3 times

I purchased the Billet Grille Overlay on Craigslist... guess I got lucky to find it. Just do a google search for "Precision Billet Grille for Tundra". I know Carid and other places carry them.... or you more than likely can find them on Ebay. Should cost between $100-$150. Just make sure the one you get has the three bottom inserts (in bumper). The one piece that is hard to find is the small piece on top...that goes into the hood. I still have yet to find that piece...therefore I still have the black OEM in there.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

There's a White Tundra I see all the time and I drool. It's got a 6' lift with Method fat fives and 35's, black nerf bars and tinted windows. Soooo sexy!
    Past rides:08 blown mustang gt/cs- 452rwhp 454tq; 08 GT500- 632rwhp 630tq
    13 mustang gt premium- 405rwhp 409tq; Hubby's 12 Ford Raptor- murdered out

Present:
    13 Tundra CM SR5- needs more higher; 11 CBR600RR- daily ricer
    Hubby's 13 STI limited sedan- Stage 2

Liked
    14 times

I think your white looks great. I'd make another payment or put money aside for replacement tires. Tose bills are coming. She looks good.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.