I need to vent.....

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: I need to vent.....

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default I need to vent.....

Im sorry to do this to you all, but I need to get some anger off my chest. I bought a new (2012) Tundra SR5 4X4 in November. This is my first Toyota ever. I figured I would try out Toyota because of dealer issues with my domestic vehicles. ie not wanting to fix problems when they arrive. So I picked up a shiny new black Tundra. At first I loved this truck. It felt very solid and well put together. True, the gas mileage is terrible, even for a truck. It rides about the same as a 3/4 ton truck. Im cool with all of this. What Im not good with is how many problems I've had with it. It started with the receiver hitch being welded wrong. You couldn't put the pin all the way through. Dealer was excellent about it and fixed it. I was truly impressed. 2 days after the hitch was replaced, I noticed the grille was wavy where it meets the hood. Okay this is weird I thought. But I'll take it in and get it fixed. I bring it in and they order a new grille. Im still good at this point. One week later I bring the truck in for the grille, sit there for 2.5 hours, and they tell me they dont want to fix the grille yet because they want to talk to an engineer. Why couln't they tell my that when I came in. Fast forward 3 days. I now work 3rd shift, Im tired and irritated just because. I get in my truck (Sat morning) and start it. Two seconds after it starts, I notice the 4lo light flashing, and the check engine and trac off light on steady. Its 1.5 miles to the freeway and the truck feels normal. Then I get on the freeway. 40 mph flat to the floor, and wont move any faster. I pull over, obviously pissed off. I go to open the glove box to get the owners manual, and it wont open!! I finally yanked it open. I look up and realize that the whole top of the dashboard is wavy!! It has been rattling ever since they fixed the sinking dash problem, but this is a whole new problem. This pos has been at the dealer at least 5 times for different problem since I bought it in November. Mileage on the truck is 3995. Im calling Toyota tomarrow and filing a complaint. This is crazy and Im so upside down that I cant get rid of it. Whats sad is Im thinking of buying a beater and parking the Tundra next to the garage til I can dump it. Okay, rant over. Thanks for listening. BTW, Im thinking my next truck wont be a Toyota. First impressions are everything, and I really dont trust this truck anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    35 times

Default Re: I need to vent.....

highly unusual for Toyota. Probably a lot more normal in a Chevy or something like that though.

Just so you know...when all those lights come on it means something is wrong...its like that on every other brand of vehicle too though.

if it was me i would be sitting down with the service manager and perhaps the general manager of your dealer as well...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I just got my Tundra after a long stint of Ford. I was a service advisor at ford awhile back and know these issues happen. It sounds to me like the service department is either screwing up or you just happened to get a truck that had a few defects. Lemon cars are a real thing and the manufacturers realize this. Do a sit down with your service manager as said above and if that doesn't work, call Toyota customer care. A negative complaint from a customer is a dealerships worst fear.
    Past rides:08 blown mustang gt/cs- 452rwhp 454tq; 08 GT500- 632rwhp 630tq
    13 mustang gt premium- 405rwhp 409tq; Hubby's 12 Ford Raptor- murdered out

Present:
    13 Tundra CM SR5- needs more higher; 11 CBR600RR- daily ricer
    Hubby's 13 STI limited sedan- Stage 2

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Familiarize yourself with the Lemon law in your state, and then go talk to the manager. If they can't fix your new car,they may be required to replace it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    12 times

Sorry for your problems. Maybe we can help some on here. I am new on here, but work for Toyota and work at the Princeton Indiana plant, we make the same Instrument panel(dash board) that goes in the Tundra.
    I am sure if you call the Toyota Customer Care line they will work with you. I just think you had a truck that may had some problems, and can tell you it is not just Toyota, but you can get that from any vehicle you buy. Just talk to them and see if they can get it right for you.

Can I ask what the dashboard looks wavy? where does it look wavy? Just a question, I may be able to help you on that part.
    Last edited by duckmaster1; 02-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    2013 DOUBLE CAB SR5 4X4 5.7 V8

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I honestly think the dash problem might have been caused by the dealer. The sinking dash problem was supposed to be fixed by replacing a pillar trim on the pass side. instead they some how raised the dash up. Its now wavy along the windshield, and there is a raised bump between the pass side a pillar asnd the center clock. I hope these problems get fixed because I really like the truck. Whats also weird is they flashed the computer when the aip took a dump, and now when I shut the truck off, they (the aip motors) run for about 1.5 seconds after I turn the key to off. Maybe Toyota is trying to find a way to get moisture out before the truck sits. If it works, I wont mind hearing it. It is quite loud.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

What is really surprising me is the vested interest by the sales department. Both my salesman and the truck manager have been standing right beside me in the service department. Most of the problems they haven't seen either. Or so they say. Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee has been outstanding in trying to resolve problems. The truck just doesn't like me. lol Everytime something gets fixed, something else breaks.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Honest toyota's aren't made like they used too. Most major brands don't need to prove themselves anymore so they slack and that's what you get. I have 2013 CM 1,700 miles fingers crossed love it so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    24 times
    Images

3995 X_X sorry to hear this
    Just listen to the guys above me

Liked
    12 times

I also would sit down with the service manager and general manager. Let them know you are serious but would like to resolve this in-house. Your patience is running thin. Tell them you want it all documented and you want a printout of where exactly it is written down.
    The law is on your side but that can be a painful route. Work with them and keep your cool. Get a loaner car if need be. Maybe you tell them you have no confidence driving it and need wheels.
    Go to the management, stay calm and work with them.

Don't flame them here or anywhere. They see all this.

Option:

Lemon Law it.

If you keep the vehicle, it sounds like you need an extended warranty at a minimum to stay a Toyota customer....

I would consider trading it for a used 2011 if I was you. Make it go away, get a nice clean used replacement and maybe come out better on your loan. That would actually fix two problems or help.

You don't want to be upsidedown on a lemon.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Liked
    172 times

Naw, don't listen to any of these pansy's. Get in there and start swinging a baseball bat around in the GM's office. That will get him to immediately give you a brand new truck without question. Then your only problem will be with someone else...the cops, magistrate, cellmate. But look at the bright side, you'll have a new truck when you get out of the slammer!
    >>big$$

========================================
    SR5 Dbl Cab 2009, 4x4, 5.7L, Flex Fuel, Desert Sand Mica, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg, Ventashades, Bugflector II, AMP Bumper Step, OEM All weather mats, Line-X, OEM Chrome Running Bds, Underseat Rear Storage, OEM Sill Protectors, Chrome Tailgate edges, Chrome Lic Plate Frame, aFe Pro Dry-S Air Cleaner, Charcoal Air Filter Mod; Visor Labels Mod; Fog Lights Mod; DRL Off Mod; Extra Loud Horn Mod, OEM SS Exhaust Tip
    "We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry and grasping at the spoils of the multitude." - Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Patriot
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) U. S. President

Liked
    19 times

Every manufacturer has their problems. The difference is Toyota will fix theirs! I would make a list of everything you see that is wrong with your truck. Give the dealership the opportunity to make all needed repairs, making sure they di it right the first time. Also make sure they have a loaner fo you to drive when you bring your truck in. Just make sure you are totally prepared and have discussed this with the service manager before just showing up with a list and your truck.

Look, I purchased a brand new 1996 Chevy 4X4 that the engine in it came apart within the first 1000 miles. I lost the use of it for 2-1/2 weeks while they got a new engine from Chevy and installed it! The same truck had rear end fluid leaking, I took it back three times before they finally fixed it the right way. I then purchased a $30,000 2000 GMC 4X4 fully loaded that blew a rear end in less than 300 miles. I was without the truck for one month!

Needless to say I don't drive any GM products anymore. After one more GMC experience with mechanical issues and absolutely no resale value. I decided on buying a Toyota this time. To date my 2012 Tundra has had one issue that was taken care of by the dealership quickly. All I can say is once you get these annoying issues taken care of. That Tundra will be the most dependable and best vehicle you've ever owned.

Good Luck!

Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigMoney View Post
    Naw, don't listen to any of these pansy's. Get in there and start swinging a baseball bat around in the GM's office. That will get him to immediately give you a brand new truck without question. Then your only problem will be with someone else...the cops, magistrate, cellmate. But look at the bright side, you'll have a new truck when you get out of the slammer!
    Not sure what they'd call a new truck waiting for you just sitting outside of a jail is called today? In my day it was called a Paddy Wagon

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreek View Post
    Not sure what they'd call a new truck waiting for you just sitting outside of a jail is called today? In my day it was called a Paddy Wagon
    That would be my luck lol. The dealer would come drop off the fixed truck right in front of my cell window so I could look at it!!!