2007 - 2013 Tundra moisture in Headliner

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2007 - 2013 Tundra moisture in Headliner

Liked
    0 times

Default 2007 - 2013 Tundra moisture in Headliner

I live in the Yukon Territoies and bought a 2013 Tundra 4x4 double cab long box in November. I have a problem with moisture dripping out of the headliner and want to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem. There is a 3/4" gap between the headliner and the roof of the truck. Because I live in a very cold and dry climate the moisture from my breath, coffee cups and melted snow on my work boots goes up into my headliner and freezes when it comes in contact with the cold roof. This leaves little drops of frozen water all over my roof and when the weather takes a change to above freezing it starts to melt, has nowhere to go so it comes out through my lights in the overhead console. The first time it happened I got over a cup of water poured onto my lap. Ive been in contact with toyota and they gave me a fix for it which was two small pads they placed inside the headliner. This doesnt change my problem all it does is hold the water and when it gets warm it drips out of the lights instead of pours. I want to know if anyone else is having the problem or has heard of this. As far as I know it only happens in cold climates. I have my AC running all the time and will crack my window when its warm enough to. I have the TSB for the problem and it was for 2007 - 2008 tundras. My 2013 is the first to have the "diaper" put in it and the problem isnt resolved. Any information would be really appreciated as Im at a stalemate with dealing with Toyota. Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2007 - 2013 Tundra moisture in Headliner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130114_173231.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	511.2 KB 
ID:	94266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130114_173145.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	682.4 KB 
ID:	94267

Lurking Member
    Liked
    8 times

They sell this mat at audio stores to insulate door and roof panels. I dont recall the name of it but check that out. If you go to a shop that does stereos for cars and trucks they would have it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    8 times

Dynamat is the name of the product.

Liked
    0 times

Great thanks a lot. Have you ever heard of this happening before? Toyota wont recognize this as a problem so anything i do will come right out of my pocket.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

never heard of this issue, couple of questions.

What did you drive previously that did not have this issue?

Any others cars in family that has or does not have issue now?

Tried the defroster? I know you said you are running the ac which should pull out the moisture, defroster will do same and heat the windshield/top of cab better than floor,etc.

Checked for leaks at windshield, and top brake light on roof?

Know anyone else in the area with a tundra? if not, stop anyone you see in the area with a tundra, strike up a conversation and ask if they have the issue.

i could not put up with that, hope you sort it out
    TOYOTA ONLY HOUSEHOLD
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4
    2008 4runner SR5 4x4
    1972 Land Cruiser FJ40

2002 YZ250F

Liked
    0 times

I just moved up to the Yukon so this is my first vehicle up here. Im only 22 so no family as of yet. Everyone up here that I've talked to hasn't heard of the problem, no other vehicles that I know of have had it. Unfortunately my truck is now labelled the only outdoor swimming pool in the Yukon . They all say that if you have the recirc on it'll happen but I've never switched that on. The defroster is usually going but not all the time. Yeah its really strange its not that its leaking at all just the moisture from me, there's one other guy up here that I've met with the problem but everyone else says there vehicle is great. I've even been waiting outside of Tundra's at the grocery store to ask. Thanks for the reply, Im going to try and get Toyota to dynamat the entire space instead of just putting two 12" by 12" pads in it.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thebirddman View Post
    I just moved up to the Yukon so this is my first vehicle up here. Im only 22 so no family as of yet. Everyone up here that I've talked to hasn't heard of the problem, no other vehicles that I know of have had it. Unfortunately my truck is now labelled the only outdoor swimming pool in the Yukon . They all say that if you have the recirc on it'll happen but I've never switched that on. The defroster is usually going but not all the time. Yeah its really strange its not that its leaking at all just the moisture from me, there's one other guy up here that I've met with the problem but everyone else says there vehicle is great. I've even been waiting outside of Tundra's at the grocery store to ask. Thanks for the reply, Im going to try and get Toyota to dynamat the entire space instead of just putting two 12" by 12" pads in it.
    If no other tundra owners are seeing this up there, I would push hard on toyota to solve the issue. Putting pads up there is just holding the water, although not doing a good job obviously, and promoting rust. Putting a bigger mat may hold all the water, but thats not good if you ask me. You dont want moisture............
    Its a 2013, and it has been to the dealer once without problem solved. I would not settle for a pad, and toyota has two more attempts to fix the problem in my book. If not, lemon law and new truck at no cost to you. The only thing deducted is a mileage adjustment, which is not bad, everything else you get back. Sales tax, payments made, etc, all back to you. And the mileage adjustment point is at first reported problem, not when effort is all done by the 3rd time. So example if you report first issue at say 5k miles, and issue still happening at say 15k after 3 fixes, you are adjusted for only owning the truck 5K miles.
    Its an expensive truck. no need to put up with it whether you make 5K or 500K a year. Its on toyota or take it back if it were mine. i did not see the shower feature when I purchased mine.
    good luck
    TOYOTA ONLY HOUSEHOLD
    2008 4runner SR5 4x4
    1972 Land Cruiser FJ40

2002 YZ250F

Liked
    0 times

Yeah that's exactly what I said. I used the example of having a wet t-shirt sitting on the floor. It doesn't dry out it just becomes moldy and causes damage. The thing is that I have the TSB and it strictly says that this isn't to be installed unless the owner makes a complaint within 32 months, so they obviously know there's a problem. The dealership I bought it from offered me $28,000 with only 5,200 km on it. I paid $46,000 for it. It has the extra package and custom leather seats. Since i'm a carpenter it's a running joke around town whenever I park behind a house. "Is the value of the house higher now that it has a swimming pool parked behind it|

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Did you buy your truck elsewhere and bring it to the Yukon? Any chance Toyota is modifying trucks sold in that extreme climate?

How have you eliminated the possibility that you have a leak?

If condensation is in fact the problem, then you need to either seal the headliner void so moist air can't get up there, or you need to insulate the entire roof skin, so that moist air won't condense on the cold sheet metal. (Boats deal with this problem too.)

I'd make sure that this was Toyota's problem, not mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thebirddman View Post
    Yeah that's exactly what I said. I used the example of having a wet t-shirt sitting on the floor. It doesn't dry out it just becomes moldy and causes damage. The thing is that I have the TSB and it strictly says that this isn't to be installed unless the owner makes a complaint within 32 months, so they obviously know there's a problem. The dealership I bought it from offered me $28,000 with only 5,200 km on it. I paid $46,000 for it. It has the extra package and custom leather seats. Since i'm a carpenter it's a running joke around town whenever I park behind a house. "Is the value of the house higher now that it has a swimming pool parked behind it|
    You wouldnt be trading the truck in, you lemon law it and get closer to the 46000 plus tax, etc that you spent. Seems like you reported the issue at around 3k miles, so you would get almost all of your money back, no paying lawyer. toyota does.
    I would make another appointment and tell them to fix it. When its not fixed, another appointment, which probably will do nothing, and then call a lemon law lawyer.
    Sometimes you get a lemon that cant be fixed. Get your money back, and if no other tundras in the area have the problem, go get another.
    Document everything, keep records and pictures. Truck is not usable. Russian roulette of driving and possibly looking like you pissed your pants. Ha.
    good luck
    TOYOTA ONLY HOUSEHOLD
    2008 4runner SR5 4x4
    1972 Land Cruiser FJ40

2002 YZ250F