5.7L oil filter cap stuck on.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 5.7L oil filter cap stuck on.

Liked
    0 times

Default 5.7L oil filter cap stuck on.

Guys, I have a big problem. The oil changes on my 2008 Tundra have always been done at the dealer here in town since new. I usually change my oil every spring and fall as the truck never goes over mileage wise. I decided to do this one myself along with changing the fluids in the front and rear differentials and transfer case as well as greasing both shafts. I wanted to change the oil over to full synthetic as well as change the oil filter cap to the aluminum Venza model. Everything was going well until the oil change. First thing was that i could not remove the filler cap. it was on tight as hell. Actually had to use an adjustable wrench to remove it. i said to myself that this is not looking good! I drained the oil from base and then from filter housing using that little plastic tool. So far, so good! Now, I can't get the oil filter cap off! I actually broke the 65mm 14 flute wrench that i bought from Napa. It fit perfect, but with so much strain on it, the nut broke from the top of it. I then placed that wrench back on, and grabbed it with a large set of channel locks. No go and I wrenched on it pretty good. Any ideas what to do here? I am running out of options. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    14 times

Default Re: 5.7L oil filter cap stuck on.

Try heating the oil filter housing very carefully. Do not heat the cap cause it's plastic. Or get a better metal oil filter socket wrench.

Liked
    61 times

Bust it out. Hammer and chisel. Careful of the threads, had to do the same with mine. Then I got the oil filter wrench tool from the guy on this forum. Works a treat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Liked
    141 times

Get yourself one of these. No more stuck oil filter caps.

Steve
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    32 times

What I do is not take off the drain plug from the filter cap n take it all off at once so I never have to deal with trying to take off the cap with a filter wrench. I use a ratchet & extension to do it and unscrew it all at the drain plug on the filter cap

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

GWD
    Liked
    40 times
    Images

I'd recommend a "chain-type" pipe wrench. Most local hardware stores carry them. Every once in a while it is necessary on one or two of my tractor filters. Works great. A breaker bar (pipe) can be slipped over the end for even more torque.

Here is an example from Sears.

Empire 15 in. Chain Pipe Wrench - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches

In the meantime, order that tool from CivicFerio. It will take off the tightest filter. It also works on several other Toyota products.
    2010 Tundra DC, 5.7, 4WD, SR5, 40/20/40 Bench Seat, Pyrite Mica,
    Options: Model 8341, EC, EV, CK, LF, RL, SP, ST, TM, WX, 32, HR, CT, CJ
    GO Industries Rugged Step, LineX bed, Line-X Xtra on steps, ARE shell, Firestone RideRite, Prodigy brake controller, TRD chrome wheels

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Do what I did, while it is out clean and degrease the bottom of it and epoxy that drain plug in. Now when I change it, the 3/8ths ratchet and extension are all I need. Sure it is a little messy, but not too bad if you are careful.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

You will have more luck with a 64mm wrench because that is the size that fits the cap. Sounds like the folks that have been changing your oil put the cap and the bottom plug on using an air driven
    impact wrench. The "custom" wrench shown looks like a great idea. If you go with the cup style
    wrench make sure to get the right size (64mm) and be sure it made of steel.