2014 Tundra observations/questions

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By USNCasey7
  • 1 Post By IForce Country

Thread: 2014 Tundra observations/questions

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Cool 2014 Tundra observations/questions

Greetings, if you dont already know it, the 2014 brochure is out on the Toyota site:
    http://www.toyota.com/content/ebroch..._ebrochure.pdf

I intend on buying a DC 4x4 TRD as soon as possible to replace my 2002 DC TRD. I've been looking at the brochure pictures with great interest. Maybe some of you can answer some questions?

1. Does the divot in the center armrest serve any purpose? Is it just cosmetic? I looks like it would be a bad idea for my elbow and our dog who likes to ride there.
    2. What is the black area directly behind the shifter? It looks like it may open, cant be sure. I'd like to mount something there...
    3. Why such a narrow color selection? For an SR5 it's basically Dk. Gray, Lt. Gray, Black, Red, White and Blue. 6 colors? Not shades of Green, Tan or Steel Blue? Its not a very creative mix of colors either. Almost primary.
    4. How are these new Michelin off road tires? I think I read they are propriatary to these trucks? Anyone know where to find any data on them?
    6. Whats so special about LED daytime running lights as opposed to regular lights?
    7. Has anyone ever used the dash divot for anything really usefull? Seems like a dust catcher that's hard to reach and serves no real purpose.
    8. I noticed there's no oh S***! handle on the drivers side, bummer. Did the 2013 and before have them? My 2002 does and I use it when off road all the time.

I better call it quits with the questions. I have nothing against the 2014 that would keep me from buying. Just curious.
    Last edited by 2002tuna; 08-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    29 times

Default Re: 2014 Tundra observations/questions

#5 reasoning for having a smaller rim for off roading the tire has more sidewall so when you air down to go off road there is more contact between tire/ground.
    2002tuna likes this.

2009 Toyota Tundra DC 2WD silver sky. current mods
    : Rough Country custom 7" suspension lift, Radflo 2.0 custom C/O's and 2.0 rear shocks, 1.5" Motorsport Tech wheel spacers, afe CAI, throttle body spacer, Bushwacker pocket flares, MB total chaos 5 rims with Cooper AT3 275/60/18 tires, Gibson catback exhaust dual split rear,, Zone carrier bearing drop kit. NFAB front bumper, 4 HELLA 700s, 2 HELLA 500s, Smoked lights, black rear bumper, color matched hood scoop, toytec+tuff country AAL, 3" RCX block, CASEY EDITION tailgate.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

OK, I figured it had to be a sidewall thing.
    Thanks.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Looks like FFV will be optional, thank god. The Platinum has the color keyed front bumper too.
    2002tuna likes this.
    06 Phanton Grey Tundra DC, 2WD

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

OK, whats FFV? Flexi Fuel Vehicle? So FFV isn't just on the back of Fords?

Liked
    49 times
    Images

Disappointed to actually see the same mpg and fuel tank size officially listed, but it was expected.

Didn't see any mention of the supercharger on the TRD parts page.
    2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 5.7, White w/ oak leather, Moonroof, NAV, Factory 20's, XM. Level kit, 35 x 12.5 Procomp AT's

2005 Corvette C6 (#581) Coupe 6 spd Black, Loaded, Black Leather, Navigation, HUD, F55 Magnetic ride, Z51 Brakes/calipers/sway-bars, LT Headers, Route 66 Exhaust, Ram Air, Tune, Porting, 160 stat. Only 2 runs at the track...12.2s @119mph

Liked
    10 times

YEA, DISAPPOINTED THAT THEY didnt add my suggestion----a built in toilet paper dispenser so the 2014 would be different than any other truck on the 2014 roster of choices lol

Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2002tuna View Post
    8. I noticed there's no oh S***! handle on the drivers side, bummer. Did the 2013 and before have them? My 2002 does and I use it when off road all the time.
    Simply cost-cutting. Toyota did it to the 4Runner as well in 2010. They left it in the GX460. 2013 Tundra has it.

Liked
    10 times

#2 directly behind the shifter is nothing but a dust collector. I really hate it as its impossible to keep clean and to clean it when its dirty.

As for #1 it looks like a good place for your cell phone so it wont fly everywhere when the power of the tundra shows itself!
    2007 Toyota Tundra
    33" x 12.5" ProComp Xterrain MT
    18" Fuel Hostage Rims
    RBP Running Boards

Liked
    19 times
    Images

"6. Whats so special about LED daytime running lights as opposed to regular lights?": Although I've not owned a vehicle with outside LED's, I would think they would last a lot longer than bulbs. Maybe forever. But, I've not had to replace a single bulb on my 2010 Tundra, including the day running lights. (or my son's 08' Tundra, or my wife's 05' Solara convertible, or my son-in-law's 04' 4-Runner, but I did have to replace one parking light bulb on my daughter's 01' Rav4. Darn Toyota quality... Just kidding ya'll. Imagine, one bulb failure over 5-vehicles since 2001.) maybe Toyota's just uses better quality sockets compared to the GM's Silverado. You know, that truck that you see everywhere but you almost never see a Silverado without at least one day-running-light bulb being blown. I've replaced them on a buddies Chevy for him, and the sockets are just garbage, even at first bulb change. I had to wrap tape around the socket to keep it held together, it was that brittle. But I guess the idea is that you never have to replace LED's. If they do fail, those will be a lot more costly to replace than bulbs.

8. "I noticed there's no oh S***! handle on the drivers side, bummer." Well, the older I get the more I use the handle on the drivers side in my truck. I find that I put too much weight on the door if I don't pay attention and don't use the grab handle. On the other hand, the drivers side "A" post without the handle, is a lot thinner to look around. If I end up with a 2014 or later Tundra someday I hope that oh sh** handle is back.

I am glad they kept the center opening at the bottom of the steering wheel. A lot of trucks out there don't have one and instead have an opening on both sides of the bottom of the steering wheel. On long trips I sure appreciate being able to rest a hand on that middle bottom opening for a stretch.

My son would like the new gauges on the 2014 Tundra. At 6'4" he keeps his driver's seat all the way back but he is still not able to see down the gauge tunnels very easily on his 08' Tundra as I do, unless he puts the steering wheel at a weird angle. I think the fuel gauge is especially hard for him to see.

I am guessing that the lip on the new tail gate is not as dramatic as it looks. My son had to swap the tonneau cover from his 2010 Silverado work truck, to his new 2013 Silverado work truck, but the lip on the newer truck's tailgate (spoiler lip?) was too wide for the rigid tonneau to close normally. Requiring him to remove the brand new plastic spoiler looking lip and apply a "U" shape, normal looking plastic lip cover, over the top of the tailgate. The 2014 Tundra tailgate looks like it has a metal lip, but maybe the standard tonneau would fit over it. When I get to see one myself at a dealer lot, I will measure it to see if it would require a different tailgate or different tonneau cover. We both use our tonneau covers to store our fishing gear out-of-site when traveling.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Yep, I 'm going to miss that "O-S***!" handle . Seems like something they could have left on. These days I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of legal thing not to have an alternative to the steering wheel for folks to hold on to.....

The dust catcher forward of the shifter sounds like a place to put a piece of cut carpet just to cover it.