The Tundra Cummins diesel rumor

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The Tundra Cummins diesel rumor

Tundra Solutions Founder Truck Champion's Avatar
    Liked
    140 times
    Images

Default The Tundra Cummins diesel rumor

I was greeted this morning with several emails from people about a story that was posted over at Edmunds. I'll tell you what I told them. A story about a Tundra Cummings diesel was published at Edmunds when a writer took a comment from a Toyota corporate car manager and wrote a story about it. Specifically the car manager said "The diesel engine is something that is on our evaluation list", "LoFaso said during an interview at a press event".

LoFaso doesn't even work in Trucks, he's a corporate car manager. Moreover we all know Toyota has been "evaluating" the diesel option for a decade and they're not going to do anything with it. If I learned anything from Toyota over the past 14 years is that they don't start rumors or freely give out product information ahead of time. People working there know they'll lose their jobs if they break that rule. When I read the story at Edmunds I was coincidentally greeted with a handful of Toyota advertisements.

I then followed the rumor to Google search, which lead me to a whole bunch of auto sites that reposted parts of the story with links back to Edmunds. I followed some of those links, which, ended up being referral links that took me right back to Edmunds. In the end I have to question what the real motivation was for posting the story, but feel free to draw your own conclusion and post it here.
    Lon is the TundraSolutions.com Founder and 5 time Tundra Owner. @TruckChampion
    15th anniversary TS decals are now available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    37 times

Default Re: The Tundra Cummins diesel rumor

putting a diesel motor in a truck DOES NOT make it a heavy duty truck. people do not understand that. I wish so much that Toyota would make a 1 ton truck (until the 2014 came out, in which case I wouldn't buy it anyway cause of how awful it looks). I like Nissans plan to put a small diesel in a half ton for mpg and torque's sake, but I have a feeling that people will think of it as a 3/4 ton and start towing and hauling wayyyyy too much with it because they think "diesel" means 8 lugs and 800 hp
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2001 Tundra Limited Access Cab 4x4 V8
    De-Badged, shaved rear door handles, shaved antenna, shaved door moldings.
    Bilstein 5100s, Memphis MClass 8" subs in Qlogic box running off of Memphis 600w amp with Memphis door speakers, dead mat entire cab and doors, slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, Warn Trans4mer, window tint, Camburg uniball A-arms, gas door off 2003 with friction type lock, not key lock. clear corner lights and tail lights, 2004 tundra bucket seats reupholstered in tan leather w/ rear seat to match, firestone bags

coming soon: center console, sliders, trd pro wheels in anthracite, fiberglass hood, arb rear end, budbuilt traction bar+skid plates, soft topper canvas camper top

Liked
    88 times

No! I don't want a cummins if I did I would drive a dang dodge!

Liked
    13 times

They already have them in Tacoma's and Tundra's over seas. You could always import one.

Liked
    35 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cremator75 View Post
    They already have them in Tacoma's and Tundra's over seas. You could always import one.
    no actually you could not, they do not meet US emissions standards for diesel, but they meet the standards for the rest of the world.

Supercharged Member Time4change's Avatar
    Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cremator75 View Post

Diesels in Tundras overseas????

Really????

Back to the OP, why would Toy contract to Cummins when they have a diesel suitable for this segment used in other markets?? (The 4.5L diesel used in the LC)
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

Liked
    31 times

The tundra is built only for North America. No diesel in a Tundra exists. The smaller truck called the Hilux in other parts of the world use a diesel that is not offered in the US or Canada

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Supercharged Member Time4change's Avatar
    Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by G BUDDENHAGEN View Post
    The tundra is built only for North America. No diesel in a Tundra exists. The smaller truck called the Hilux in other parts of the world use a diesel that is not offered in the US or Canada

Maybe he got the Tundra info from the same place that dude got the info that Ford owns Cummins???.........
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

Liked
    31 times

There are ton of people out there that are misinformed of the right or true info on lots of subjects. The auto industry sometimes the worst. Sales people sometimes can be the worst at least in the past from my experience. But that's why we have these forums to teach all of us the right info that we need to know. Just a honest mistake on the 2 other guys in here. I remember that rumor about ford owning Cummins diesel. The funny thing I heard lots of that from Ford guys. I would save my energy and let them go on.

Liked
    14 times

I will tell you, there is NO diesel in Tundras. I have some good friends that work down in San Antonio at the plant and they are not building Tundras with a diesel in it. I know when we started building them up here in Princeton Indiana, there was talk but the market has to be really good in buyers before they do the diesel.
    2013 DOUBLE CAB SR5 4X4 5.7 V8

Liked
    0 times

I'd love a diesel for mpg and longevity! In 2015 Dodge is putting a 3.0 V6 diesel into the 1500 and Grand Cherokee, calling it an ECO DIESEL. It still has a lot of torque,because its a diesel. The 1 ton with the big diesel would be AWESOME, but I'd take the 5L Cummins the 2016 Titian is getting.
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

2011 Black D/C 5.7 Tundra Grade, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg
    EGR In-Channel Rain Guards Lund 5" Oval Nerf Bars

Liked
    47 times
    Images

Toyota owns HINO and has the internal capability to offer their own Diesel engine design without going outside.

2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)

Veteran Member
    Liked
    116 times
    Images

nobody really wants a diesel in a half ton, you only hear this crap on the net.

If you want high torque, then you want a 3/4 frame.

If you want high MPGs, then whatever you save on fuel will be offset by the extra maintenance costs of a diesel.

Toyota knows this. They know how to sell vehicles better than we do. They are not gonna spend the r&d to bring one of their diesels up to US standards when they know good and well that they wont sell.

The Truck, by OsidePunker

2013 Tundra DC RW 5.7L 4x4

Liked
    42 times

Quote Originally Posted by osidepunker View Post
    nobody really wants a diesel in a half ton, you only hear this crap on the net.

If you want high torque, then you want a 3/4 frame.

If you want high MPGs, then whatever you save on fuel will be offset by the extra maintenance costs of a diesel.

Toyota knows this. They know how to sell vehicles better than we do. They are not gonna spend the r&d to bring one of their diesels up to US standards when they know good and well that they wont sell.
    This is not totally true. What if you could get the same torque as the 5.7, but in an engine about half the size that gets nearly twice the fuel economy? This would be quite doable with some kind of turbo diesel. The problem these days is the idiotic emission standards set by the gov't.
    Paul312612 likes this.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    116 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    This is not totally true. What if you could get the same torque as the 5.7, but in an engine about half the size that gets nearly twice the fuel economy? This would be quite doable with some kind of turbo diesel. The problem these days is the idiotic emission standards set by the gov't.
    A 30mpg diesel might have similar torque, but it would have a lot less HP. So you will be driving a half ton truck, with the same torque as the 5.7L, same tow ratings, a lot less power (less acceleration), and an annual maintenance bill that will almost wipe out your diesel annual fuel savings... does not sound like a winner to me.

I would much rather have a gasser half ton with great acceleration, 10K towing, and a low maintenance bill... even if I do have to spend $2k more per year in fuel.

The Truck, by OsidePunker

2013 Tundra DC RW 5.7L 4x4

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast