Trd supercharger traction control problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DawgBonez
  • 1 Post By homeyclaus
  • 1 Post By Yotarob2005

Thread: Trd supercharger traction control problem

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Trd supercharger traction control problem

Hello all. I have an 08 tundra 5.7 4x4 & I just had the Trd supercharger installed and put the Bully dog gt programmer on top of it. My problem is that the traction control takes away my throttle. It is mostly going from first to second gear. The traction control lights up when this happens, and yes I know to hold down the traction control button until it is all the way off. This has been an issue since day 1, but I was told by putting the TRD charger and flashing the PCM this would go away. I'm looking for ideas on how to solve this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Default Re: Trd supercharger traction control problem

Hold it for 3 seconds...let off.... then hold it again for 3 seconds....<-- should turn it off, unless the BD programmer dicked up something...
    AsherAuto likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    08 Limited DC 4x4 Black/Charcoal
    TRD SuperCharger, TRD Cat Back, TRD 22" Forged 5 Spoke
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

That is what I was thinking, either the BD programmer or the TRD software update changed something. Because he said that he tried turning the traction control off the normal way. Maybe a trip to see whoever installed the SC for a look at it.
    2013 Tundra Crewmax SR5, Pyrite Mica, 5.7, 2wd. Clazzio light grey leather seat covers. JBA stainless side exit dual exhaust. AFE Stage 2 Pro Dry S intake. Sunroof. Luverne Mega steps. Tonno Pro tri fold tonneau cover. Toyota billet grill.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBonez View Post
    Hold it for 3 seconds...let off.... then hold it again for 3 seconds....<-- should turn it off, unless the BD programmer dicked up something...
    ^give this a try Asher

In Asherauto's case (friend of mine) the supercharger went on first and the issue was present before the BD was installed, the programmer is not the issue.

As I understand it the traction control was never an issue for 07 model 4x4 tundras, has anyone tried reflashing an 07 PCM and installing it in a newer model truck?

EDIT: Thanks for the responses
    Last edited by Yotarob2005; 01-16-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Liked
    3 times

1. Just a thought, but perhaps your rear tires are not getting enough traction. As in, it's distinctly possible traction control is doing what it's supposed to. If the truck is empty and you're going full throttle, I'd expect that even without the SC installed.

2. Traction and stability control runs off a set of gyroscopes you can recalibrate. In the FSM it's called the "zero point calibration" and it's often needed when people change suspension geometry and stuff like that. If you have a TechStream, it's easy to do, and might help. It certainly won't hurt.
    Yotarob2005 likes this.
    Recovering Canuck. I think.
    '13 Spruce Mica Tundra CM 5.7L Trd, White Knuckle Sliders, Leer 100XL cap w. Wilderness Package, Line-X.
    Sorry, I can't help but think less of you when you won't take the time to spell things right or use proper grammar. Deal with it. I don't care if you're ESL either, because I am too.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by homeyclaus View Post
    1. Just a thought, but perhaps your rear tires are not getting enough traction. As in, it's distinctly possible traction control is doing what it's supposed to. If the truck is empty and you're going full throttle, I'd expect that even without the SC installed.
    You are absolutely correct in saying that the traction control is doing exactly what it is designed to do and doing a fine job of it. But where is the fun in that? Around town.....fine, let the traction control do its thing. But if the intention is to make a 1/4 mile pass then its pretty hard to swallow.
    AsherAuto likes this.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by Yotarob2005 View Post
    ^give this a try Asher

In Asherauto's case (friend of mine) the supercharger went on first and the issue was present before the BD was installed, the programmer is not the issue.

As I understand it the traction control was never an issue for 07 model 4x4 tundras, has anyone tried reflashing an 07 PCM and installing it in a newer model truck?

EDIT: Thanks for the responses
    As I understand it the only real difference between the 07 and 08 Tundra Traction Control setup is that the 07's only have to hold the button down for 3 seconds once to disable things, not twice. Also, the VSC is disabled in 4HI on the 07's, but not on the later models.

Even without a supercharger I can light up my rear tires at up to about 25mph by just putting my foot into it on dry pavement with the traction control switched off, so I don't think the 07's are any different in how the traction control operates when it is enabled.

I am also curious as to who told the original poster that the supercharger reflash removed the traction control? Most of what I have read seems to indicate that the only real restriction removed is the top speed limiter. So, ultimately disabling the traction control from the dash is the only way to defeat it. I do remember reading about someone who programmed a device to essentially automatically disable the traction control system on engine start, might search for that.
    Nick Brewer
    NickBrewer@msn.com
    2007 Toyota Tundra RCSB 5.7L
    1986 Yamaha SRX-6
    2013 Yamaha XTZ1200D Super Tenere

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Could it be possible that you got the old tune (cold weather issue) from TRD? Although not likely, you just never know...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

The local dealer is looking into it now. They are also the ones that told me the TRD upgrade would solve the problem. Like I said, it did it before the tuner or the charger. It's not from excessive wheel spin either. When going from 1st to 2nd it maybe would chirp a gear, but defiantly not anything that should take away the throttle for a second or two.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Thank you for the help. It worked! Now I can actually drive my truck.

Liked
    2 times

apparently, he got nothing from TRD. he used the bully dog. unless you are into serious racing, for the money you put into a TRD supercharger, i'd advise to go with nothing but the TRD reflash. it's the BEST and safest program for your supercharger.

Could it be possible that you got the old tune (cold weather issue) from TRD? Although not likely, you just never know...
    2008 5.7L TRD SR5 Crew-Max
    Silver Sky Metallic
    Supercharged
    Borla catback w/drone-killing side-branch Helmholtz mod
    TRD Sway Bar
    Slotted Rotors w/TRD High Performance Brake Pads
    Toyota Brushed Stainless Steel Step Boards
    Transfer Flow 46 gal Replacement Fuel Tank

Liked
    332 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AsherAuto View Post
    Thank you for the help. It worked! Now I can actually drive my truck.
    I'm confused. You're saying the push and hold twice was actually the solution? I get that you might not have known to do this, I didn't know either until I read it here, but your dealer didn't know this and they installed a $6000 supercharger?
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    5 times

I had same problem. But you see it's not a problem with the truck , the tune, or the tire or whatever people say. It's how you control your right foot. I never had zpc or reflash from dealer. Think about it for a minute. If the truck didn't cut power you would be on the curb.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    2011 DC 5.7
    TRD Exhaust
    TRD S/C
    Hella Supertone

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t.t.service View Post
    I had same problem. But you see it's not a problem with the truck , the tune, or the tire or whatever people say. It's how you control your right foot. I never had zpc or reflash from dealer. Think about it for a minute. If the truck didn't cut power you would be on the curb.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    I don't understand....
    But having traction control on, and with the slightest spin, you will lose seconds...

On a different note, I have had traction control save me from a ticket once.... A cop pulled me over because he thought I wasn't wearing my seat belt(but was).... He gave me a ticket anyways... I'm usually pretty decent with police, but this guy was a noob, and I wasn't too happy about the ticket, given that I actually was wearing my seat belt.... Well, being heated, and sporting a 504hp in a truck, I got a little heavy on throttle leaving and hit a rock and chirped the tires.... Moments later the cop came flying up to me to pull me over again.... Long story short, He wanted to write me another ticket for wreckless driving, until I told him that I had traction control on, and there was no way that my tires could have spun more than 180 degrees.... No ticket was given...

I did kind of get into him, and might have intimidated him as well... As he came to me heated, and I ask him if the sunglasses he was wearing were government issue(prior military coming out of me)... He responded "no", so I told him to take them off if he was going to speak to me... In which he did... He seemed a little hesitant from there on...LOL

blah...blah...blah
    Last edited by DawgBonez; 01-18-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    More to come......

Liked
    36 times
    Images

I actually posted a video on this on YouTube, while drunk and bored....

Tundra Traction Control - YouTube
    More to come......