looking for new wheels - need advice

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: looking for new wheels - need advice

Liked
    26 times
    Images

Default looking for new wheels - need advice

Hey all,

I have never bought after market wheels (or rims... not even sure what you call them). I am finally going to treat myself. I have a budget of about $800 for all four. I want something black that looks cool. It also has to be super strong as we tow horses with the truck. The tires I am running are BFG AT/ko

anything I should look at? Or, just as important, any brands I should avoid? My first instinct is just to go to Discount Tire. Oh, also want something that stands up to crappy weather. I live on a ranch down a snowy dirt road, so they have to be tough... and ideally forged from black aluminum - as oppososed to just painted black.

Thoughts?
    Parker, CO
    2007 Toyota Tundra DC
    5.7 TRD, Timberland Mica
    full tint/ Tekonsha brake controller
    spray in bed liner/ BFG AT/ko's 285/65/18
    Firestone airbags/ on board air compressor wireless controlled (related to above)
    after market attack golden retriever
    Remote Starter

'If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die... I want to go where they went'
    - Will Rogers

http://www.iamcorrect.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    40 times

Default Re: looking for new wheels - need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lono33 View Post
    Hey all,

I have never bought after market wheels (or rims... not even sure what you call them). I am finally going to treat myself. I have a budget of about $800 for all four. I want something black that looks cool. It also has to be super strong as we tow horses with the truck. The tires I am running are BFG AT/ko

anything I should look at? Or, just as important, any brands I should avoid? My first instinct is just to go to Discount Tire. Oh, also want something that stands up to crappy weather. I live on a ranch down a snowy dirt road, so they have to be tough... and ideally forged from black aluminum - as oppososed to just painted black.

Thoughts?
    Based on all the info you gave it sounds like you want to stick to an 18" black wheel, correct?

How about Line-X'ng the factory wheels black? It'll be tough/tough looking and be within your budget and strong.
    Line-x'ing Steel Wheels - Tacoma World Forums
    MaylonTRD likes this.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum (8 passenger) 4x4 5.7 V8; Debadged/30% tint over factory with 20% front/LED rear foglights/White Knight RLS/V-LEDs LPF/Silverstar Ultra/Lexus LS460 bi-xenon HID projectors with 5000k Osram CBI/Philips DRL8/Lockpic navigation override/Locking gas cap/TRD intake flow accelerator/K&N panel filter/K&N filter minder/5000k LED license plate bulbs/Big Daddy horns/SET exhaust tip/Factory color matched (B&I SEQUOIA emblem insert, brake calipers, side-view mirrors, b-pillars, c-pillars)/summer 22 Giovanna Caracas w/Yokohama Parada 305/45/22/winter 18" OEM steel wheels powder-coated black w/Bridgestone Dueler A/T "Revo 2" 255/70/18

Liked
    21 times

I have been looking at these they are sharp and have reasonable price. Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
    Last edited by silverdouble; 02-15-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    1986 Toyota Dlx Pickup 4x4 7" Lift 35x15 5:29 Gears Posi (First Yoda) Sold
    1989 Toyota Dlx Pickup 4x4 3" Lift 33x12 Sold
    2000 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 Sold
    2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Sold
    2012 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Current Ride

Liked
    40 times

It's going to be hard finding a good, high quality set of wheels in your price range. Have you considered looking at OEM wheels that come with the Tundra/Sequoia? For example my 18's for winter are the OEM Tundra steelies that I had powdercoated black. I recently picked up a set of 20" Tundra Limited wheels which I'm going to have powdercoated matte black. I got the wheels for a steal at $600 and powdercoating will run me another $400. I found a set of 20" BBS wheels on Ebay that I was seriously considering. Here's a link to them, it's hard to beat BBS quality, the color combination is HOT, and the price is fantastic. These were optional tires for the Tundra in the SET (South East Toyota) region of the countrySet of 4 New 20x9" 2007 2013 Toyota Tundra Flat Black BBs Wheels Rims | eBay

Last edited by JMSinMD; 02-15-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum (8 passenger) 4x4 5.7 V8; Debadged/30% tint over factory with 20% front/LED rear foglights/White Knight RLS/V-LEDs LPF/Silverstar Ultra/Lexus LS460 bi-xenon HID projectors with 5000k Osram CBI/Philips DRL8/Lockpic navigation override/Locking gas cap/TRD intake flow accelerator/K&N panel filter/K&N filter minder/5000k LED license plate bulbs/Big Daddy horns/SET exhaust tip/Factory color matched (B&I SEQUOIA emblem insert, brake calipers, side-view mirrors, b-pillars, c-pillars)/summer 22 Giovanna Caracas w/Yokohama Parada 305/45/22/winter 18" OEM steel wheels powder-coated black w/Bridgestone Dueler A/T "Revo 2" 255/70/18

Liked
    26 times
    Images

JMSin - thanks. Those are beautiful. Also, thanks for the idea of line x'ing the existing rims. However, I want something that makes the tires pop. Let's see if I can describe this. I want a design that is concave, so the tires look like they are exploding off the rim. The current stock design makes the tires kinda flush with the rims. Also, of course, they must be black. I want them to look menacing.

am I making any sense? I am pretty looped on cold medicine right now, so this might be coming out at babble.
    Parker, CO
    2007 Toyota Tundra DC
    5.7 TRD, Timberland Mica
    Firestone airbags/ on board air compressor wireless controlled (related to above)
    Remote Starter

'If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die... I want to go where they went'
    - Will Rogers

Liked
    26 times
    Images

I found this cool java app on Discount Tire's site where they give you a mock up of what your truck will look like with each rim choice... you can even pick your exact truck model. This is pretty bad ass technology.

Interactive Wheel System - Discount Tire Direct
    Parker, CO
    2007 Toyota Tundra DC
    5.7 TRD, Timberland Mica
    Remote Starter

- Will Rogers

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    456 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lono33 View Post
    JMSin - thanks. Those are beautiful. Also, thanks for the idea of line x'ing the existing rims. However, I want something that makes the tires pop. Let's see if I can describe this. I want a design that is concave, so the tires look like they are exploding off the rim. The current stock design makes the tires kinda flush with the rims. Also, of course, they must be black. I want them to look menacing.

am I making any sense? I am pretty looped on cold medicine right now, so this might be coming out at babble.
    I have a feeling anything you want with a con cave look may have too aggressive of an offset which will cause the wheels go stick out past the wheel well.
    This is what I put on mine 22x9 with a +30 offset. They stick out an inch past the fender.
    Btw a set of 20s I'm these run about 950. Little outside ur price range but not that much worse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1392943046.623623.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	181473

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    83 times
    Images

How about Ballistic Jester? 18x9 Ballistic Jester Black B814890559+12FB

Name:	814jesterblackredfull_58.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	181481
    2010 Toyota Tundra, Crewmax, 4x4, 5.7, TRD Off Road, SR5, Silver Sky Metalic

Brushed Stainless Steel Stepboards, Tinted Windows, Pioneer AVIC Z140BH, Pioneer ND-BC5 Rearview Camera, Metra Axxess Steerinng Wheel Control Interface, Line X Extra with Color Match, ValuGard Undercoat, ValuGard Rust Inhibitor, AVS Window Visor, Clazzio (black/red), TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, TRD Intake, Toyota Hood Protector, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, AMI TRD Third Light Brake Cover, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, Westin Chrome Off-Road Lights, TRD License Plate Frame, B&W Tow & Stow, Moto Metal 961, Bushwacker fender flares, G-Tek Door Sill Protector, BAKFlip F1, Momo Combat Evo Red Shifter, Diode Dynamics Accent (Console, cupholder, pocket, and door pull inserts), Wheelskin Euro-Tone Steering Wheel Cover, OME 614 kit, LR UCA, Undercover SwingCases, Toyota Tow Mirrors

Liked
    40 times

Quote Originally Posted by chphilo View Post
    How about Ballistic Jester? 18x9 Ballistic Jester Black B814890559+12FB

Name:	814jesterblackredfull_58.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	181481
    I'm guessing that's what he's referring to?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    83 times

Also look at KMC, Method, and ProComp.

I'd look for a good local wheel shop instead of Discount tire. Ask them to dismount/mount for free if you buy wheels from them. Discount probably can't do that since it needs to be typed into the computer and those guys probably can't cut any deals like that.

Start off on ebay and narrow it down.

$800 is an ok price range to get good wheels.
    2008 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L SR5 JBL TRD 285/65/18 Terra Grapplers, Bilstein leveling kit middle setting
    2007 2500 Dodge 4x4 quad cab laramie cummins (sold)
    1990 Mustang Coupe with some mods

Liked
    50 times
    Images

Name:	2011-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-5.7-Xtreme-8-450x337.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	181593

Here is one I like Artic Trucks Land Cruiser wheels. I have yet to see on a Tundra. I think these are R17", 10"wide, 5x150 bolt pattern . I don't have offset on them. They are custom made. I know these may be over your budget.

http://extremelandcruiser.com/store/...roducts_id=336
    Last edited by Atwalz; 02-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    2007 Tundra V8 5.7L DC 4x4 Ltd, SM/RR. (Mine)
    Completed Mods:
    TAG front wincher and rear multicarrier, Icon Stage 2 coilover, shocks, leaf springs, Camburg UCA 1.5" uniball, 35x12.50x18 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9, 5x150, 12mm offset Velox Ravine Wheels, Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 projectors, Backup Camera and fixed tilt monitor in overhead console, TRD shifter, Debadged, Revtek front differential drop kit, 1/2" spacers for carrier bearing, running board, custom bike fork mounts in bed track rail system, spray-on bedliner, updated rear cab mounts, Relocated differential breather, clear lens LED tail lights, JVC stereo, cargo divider, removed in-take manfold screen, removed HC air filter, Anzo HID off road lights w/3 scion switches, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, and Power Folding tow mirrors.
    Completed DIY Projects: water pump diy.pdf, front axle oil seals repair procedure.pdf, transfer case adapter oil seals, Suspension upgrade: Icon front CO, rear shocks & expansion pack leaf set, Camburg UCA and retrofit Morimoto Mini D2S projectors.
    2013 Toyota Land Cruiser. Black on Black. (Wife)

Liked
    42 times

If you go to tirerack.com, you can select wheels and view what they look like on your truck.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

I like the rock warrior wheels.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

I like the MB TKO wheels from discount tire. They are very reasonably priced and look good. Some wheels can be too flashy with designs...and I like the simple look of these.

Liked
    26 times
    Images

Team,

you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback. I picked up a set today from Discount Tire. Just a smidge over $700 after all the fees and taxes etc. I am very very pleased with them. The truck looks much more menacing now. Last project will be a bull bar sometime before summer

here is the before

Name:	truck tows.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	183225

and here is the after

Name:	truck tires 2014.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	183217
    Last edited by Lono33; 02-25-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Parker, CO
    2007 Toyota Tundra DC
    5.7 TRD, Timberland Mica
    Remote Starter

- Will Rogers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.