5.7 versus 4.7 fuel economy

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 versus 4.7 fuel economy

LMC
    Liked
    0 times

Default 5.7 versus 4.7 fuel economy

It's interesting that the 5.7 is EPA-rated slightly better than the 4.7 for fuel economy. 5.7 V-8 at 16/20 versus 4.7 at 15/18. It will be interesting to see the difference in real-world fuel economy.

Consider the smaller/less-powerful engine that has to work harder versus the larger/more-powerful engine that can just loaf along at partial throttle settings to get identical performance in a given vehicle. I'm sure that the 5.7 will use more fuel if all those frisky ponies are called on to work hard...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 5.7 versus 4.7 fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    It's interesting that the 5.7 is EPA-rated slightly better than the 4.7 for fuel economy. 5.7 V-8 at 16/20 versus 4.7 at 15/18. It will be interesting to see the difference in real-world fuel economy.

Consider the smaller/less-powerful engine that has to work harder versus the larger/more-powerful engine that can just loaf along at partial throttle settings to get identical performance in a given vehicle. I'm sure that the 5.7 will use more fuel if all those frisky ponies are called on to work hard...
    Those are if you granny the throttle...With the powerful 5.7L, people are gonna be flooring it a lot, and decreasing gas mileage...I picked up a Scangauge (ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers) for my Titan, and it really helps me control my mileage..It gives you real-time mpg, and a ton of other info...For instance, I've found my Titan gets slightly better mpg when I'm cruising at 75mph as opposed to 65mph.
    -Erik

'06 Titan

Built in USA!

Liked
    1 times

Funny, I pulled the window sticker out of my glove box for my 2004 V8 (iForce 4.7)Tundra Access Cab (purchased in December of 2003) and the sticker says 14 and 18 for mileage. I've NEVER been down to 14. I'm usually running 16.5 - 17 in mixed driving, and 20 on the highway. I didn't remember the sticker saying it was so low. Then again, in December of 2003 I wasn't really that concerned with gas prices anyway.
    2004 V8 Tundra Access Cab

Liked
    2 times

Roughly 220 miles on my 5.7 and according to the trip computer I am at 16.7 mpg of mixed driving.
    20" wheels, DVD NAV w/Bluetooth, Rear DVD w/10" screen, Formula 1 Tint, Access Tonneau Cover, TRD Dual Exhaust, WeatherTech Floormats

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdimetal - 2/27/07

06 MINI Cooper S SB Checkmate
    15% Reduction Pulley, HDI
    22mm Rear Sway, Custom ECU

Liked
    2 times

I remember when GM brought out the 305 cu in V8, the old 350 was better on fuel in the same 4x4 truck. I really am surprised Toyota retained the 4.7 as the bulk of the sales will be the 5.7 for sure.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I don't know about the 4.7, but the Toyota DC SR5 4x4 with the 5.7 I test drove on Friday showed 8.5 mpg on the average readout, but when I drove it the instant readout was pretty much in low to mid teens for mpg. I wouldn't doubt that neary everyone is keeping their foot in it during the test drives and it was pretty cold (-2 or so ) and that might have something to do with it. With my driving, I'd hopefully be in the mid to low teens - according to the dash. I can see where driving habits will greatly affect the 5.7.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Bump

I would like to hear more feedback for the 5.7 owners as to what type of gas mileage that are getting.

Liked
    0 times

I looked at a spec sheet for an 07 CrewMax this morning, and the curb weight is listed at around 5,300 pounds. That's nearly twice the weight of the Tacoma I've been driving. I'm sure this is why they don't offer a V6 in the CrewMax - just too much iron and steel to pull around with a small engine.

As for the two V8s, I'm still a little perplexed as to why we are offered this choice if the bigger one gets better gas mileage. The best answer I've been given as to how a larger displacement V8 can get better mileage than a smaller one is the 6-speed transmission that allows more efficient power than the 5-speed tranny that goes with the 4.7.

So for most folks, it's a no-brainer unless cost is an issue. The 5.7 costs about $1,200 more. Otherwise, I don't see any real advantage to getting the smaller V8.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Hi all,
    I have a Dodge Ram Hemi q/c and I get 19 hwy when cruising at 70-74 mph and baby it along. The 5.7 gets better than the 4.7 when you ease it along. I usually get about 13.8 to 14.9 combined mileage but I also drive it fairly hard. I have an 07 Crewmax ordered and I wouldn't consider anything but the 5.7 in it. Most Megacab owners wish they had the cummins over the hemi in those trucks.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Theres probab ly no advantage to small v-8 unless you want to lose a race but come on when you are spending 30 to 40k whats an extra 1,200 bucks when you get all that extra stuff,power,tow cap,etc.Go with 5.7 uless maybe it a single cab.5.7 will be easier to sell than 4.7 imo
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al1 View Post
    Theres probab ly no advantage to small v-8 unless you want to lose a race but come on when you are spending 30 to 40k whats an extra 1,200 bucks when you get all that extra stuff,power,tow cap,etc.Go with 5.7 uless maybe it a single cab.5.7 will be easier to sell than 4.7 imo
    I would agree. My concerns as probably everyone on this board is when I make a 30-40k purchase am I going to loose my shorts when it comes to gas mileage compared to my 4.7.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jajeh5 View Post
    I would agree. My concerns as probably everyone on this board is when I make a 30-40k purchase am I going to loose my shorts when it comes to gas mileage compared to my 4.7.
    I wrestled with going for a 4.7 originally, had a post about it too, and after much thought decided to stick with a 5.7. But...cost of ownership, tax, gas, and state tags will probably all go up along with the extra $1200 entry fee. Also, I couldn't feel a huge difference between the two with no load except the 4.7 is definitely quieter...

Liked
    0 times

Maybe Toyota will offer the 4.7 in the Taco as an option soon.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmh1026 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a Dodge Ram Hemi q/c and I get 19 hwy when cruising at 70-74 mph and baby it along. The 5.7 gets better than the 4.7 when you ease it along. I usually get about 13.8 to 14.9 combined mileage but I also drive it fairly hard. I have an 07 Crewmax ordered and I wouldn't consider anything but the 5.7 in it. Most Megacab owners wish they had the cummins over the hemi in those trucks.
    Ah from Estero? I live in Stonybrook.

The Hemi's cylinder shutdown must certainly help it. It's too bad Toyota didn't use such a system. Cylinder shutdown and a 6 speed auto combined would definately help somewhat.
    1988 Nissan 300zx 5spd 80,000 miles
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 5spd 90,000 miles (sold, frame shot)
    2001 Sequoia Limited 4x4 182,000 miles (some electronic issues, manifolds, otherwise solid and not a single rattle woot)
    2006 Suzuki GS500F 6spd

Liked
    0 times

Ease of resale, alone, is a good enough reason to get the 5.7, then factor in the tranny, how cheap the upgrade is, the comparble mpg... no brainer for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast