20" vs. 18" wheels?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" vs. 18" wheels?

Liked
    0 times

Question 20" vs. 18" wheels?

Folks,

Wondering what the difference is going with 20" wheels vs. 18" in terms of use. I prefer the 18" but I can get a 5.7 LTD w/ NAV now with 20". I'm assuming the higher sidewall of the 18" will be better for off-road use. I'm told 20" are becoming more 'standard' on bigger trucks, whatever that means.

Personally I think the 20s look a little pimpish. Is it big enough of a difference to wait 4-6 weeks? Also, the 20" versions are without TRD...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: 20" vs. 18" wheels?

20" will have a stiffer ride than 18" because there would be overall less tire, also with 20" wheels you will find the tires are usually more expensive.... a lot of it has to do with looks now, instead of ride, like i enjoy 18" wheels more because they feel a lot smoother than a 20. also i dont care for the TRD package, its way too much money for what little you get. but thats just my $.02

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by sic402 View Post
    20" will have a stiffer ride than 18" because there would be overall less tire
    I would say this begs the question but that isn't a correct usage of this term.

However, it raises the question of why 20" tires are more expensive when there is overall less tire?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

However, it raises the question of why 20" tires are more expensive when there is overall less tire?
    Tire manufacturers are behind on 18, 19 and 20" tires I'm told which is the only reason they are more expensive.

Liked
    2 times

I have the 20's on mine and love them. In trucks, I like seeing the wheel actually fill the wheel-well and not see a lot of empty space.
    20" wheels, DVD NAV w/Bluetooth, Rear DVD w/10" screen, Formula 1 Tint, Access Tonneau Cover, TRD Dual Exhaust, WeatherTech Floormats

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdimetal - 2/27/07

06 MINI Cooper S SB Checkmate
    15% Reduction Pulley, HDI
    22mm Rear Sway, Custom ECU

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

There isn't overall less tire, there is just less sidewall. Check any tire
    pricing guide - as the aspect ratios go down, the price goes up.

dogger

Liked
    0 times

What about effects of the heavier wheel on acceleration and mpgs? That's my main concern. Also wondering why all but one of the option packages include the 20" wheels. Am I making too big of a deal outta this? The thing is for less money on the package you get NAV, 18" with TRD and running boards. For the 20" wheel NAV package that's all you get, no TRD and no running boards. Seems like a no brainer to me to stick with the 18s unless I'm missing something, help me out someone!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper S View Post
    I have the 20's on mine and love them. In trucks, I like seeing the wheel actually fill the wheel-well and not see a lot of empty space.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when I compare photos of trucks equipped with 18 and 20 inchers, it doesn't look like the wheel well space differs. The 18 inchers have more tire around the wheel (taller sidewalls), whereas the 20 inchers have a noticeably larger wheel size but overall it fills up the same space considering the lower profile of the tire.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

overall diameter will be roughly the same. its called plus one sizing or in this case plus two sizing. as you increase the rim diameter you decrease the sidewall profile to compensate. some 20" rim designs will be more likely to bend than smaller diameter due to the materials and the distance between spokes that reinforce the rim. Bigger rims means you can fit larger diameter brakes which is why 18" are now standard on tundra. you wont be able to put 16" on the trucks. larger diameter tires are more expensive because the volume sold is lower. although the seem popular, a majority of people still have 15" - 17" tires on there cars especially the most popular models, camry, accord etc.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

There is no reason to go with 20 inch wheels. It's just the "flash factor". If you don't care about the bling, then get the 18"s. That's the way I'd go.
    2006 Tundra DC Limited TRD
    1987 4Runner with SAS

Liked
    0 times

I have 20" wheels and love them. I went with 20's because I have a 2WD and didn't like all of the wheel gap. However, your stock brakes are set up for 16" to 17" wheels so you might be changing your brakes a little more frequently. I just hit 30k and haven't had to change my brakes yet. I didn't see any changes in the speedometer either. Just keep them rotated and balanced every 5K and they will last!
    [SIGPIC]
    2005 TUNDRA SR5 AC
    20" Helo Kick's wrapped in 275/45R General Grabbers
    15% Tint all around

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schly View Post
    There is no reason to go with 20 inch wheels. It's just the "flash factor". If you don't care about the bling, then get the 18"s. That's the way I'd go.
    Is there an issue putting an 18" rims on a 07 Tundra that came with 20" rims? Odometer, breaks, etc.?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner View Post
    Is there an issue putting an 18" rims on a 07 Tundra that came with 20" rims? Odometer, breaks, etc.?
    As long as you have to proper size tire there will be no problems since they have very close to the same overall diameter. I compared the tire sizes/rim combos that Toyota is offering a while ago and they are all within .5% of each other in terms of overall diameter.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by OneOfTheSick View Post
    As long as you have to proper size tire there will be no problems since they have very close to the same overall diameter. I compared the tire sizes/rim combos that Toyota is offering a while ago and they are all within .5% of each other in terms of overall diameter.
    Thanks, the 5.7 LTD DC w/ 20s sold so I'm back to looking for the right truck again, it's painful. Really want the TRD with NAV and 18s as it's the least expensive NAV option. Plus you get the running boards.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner View Post
    Thanks, the 5.7 LTD DC w/ 20s sold so I'm back to looking for the right truck again, it's painful. Really want the TRD with NAV and 18s as it's the least expensive NAV option. Plus you get the running boards.
    I think you are making the right choice . TRD package is nice and 18" will be better on and off road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast