Real gas mileage difference between new 5.7L and old 4.7L V8?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real gas mileage difference between new 5.7L and old 4.7L V8?

Liked
    0 times

Default Real gas mileage difference between new 5.7L and old 4.7L V8?

Hi,

I may be looking to upgrade to the new 2007 5.7L V8 Tundra from my existing 2002 4.7L V8 Tundra.

Anyone else here who's upgraded similarly and noticed a significant difference in their gas mileage in city/highway driving?

Right now I'm averaging 15-16 mpg in my 2002 with mixed driving, and was wondering what to expect with the new 5.7L V8.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Real gas mileage difference between new 5.7L and old 4.7L V8?

I traded my 03 4.7 in for a 07 5.7 and gas mileage has been exact. I may even be getting better gas mileage. I do not have scientific proof but I know what I drive every week and how many gallons I use. So looking at that it is slightly better.

Liked
    0 times

I think any comparisons are going to be misleading. The 4.7 engine in an 06 (or previous) Tundra is pulling a lighter truck, and will therefore get a little better mileage. The new 07 is significantly heavier than the 06 if you compare curb weight numbers. I'm betting the 4.7 will get slightly different mileages between the two (06 vs. 07) trucks.

Also, consider that the 5.7 engine is mated with that 6-speed transmission, which boosts mileage with the 6th speed (compared to the 5-speed that goes with the 4.7). I'm pretty sure the 4.7 would get better mileage than the 5.7, but only if you put it in the exact same truck and both were hooked up to the same type of tranny.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Real gas mileage difference between new 5.7L and old 4.7L V8?

My '04 Access Cab with Tow package got 13-15 city 16-17 highway. My '07 double cab 5.7 gets 16-17 city 17-19 highway. This is off gallons measure by actual miles. I measured the highway after a 600 mile trip last weekend. The computer was registering almost 19 under 70mph on a flat road, dropped to 17.5 over 75mph. The computer seems fairly accurate. I diffinitely have been stepping on it. I have heard of others getting less, a few more. I feel confident with prudent driving you will see a slight increase in mpg, which is amazing with 900 more pounds and 140hp over my '04. It diffinantely is way more fun to drive!
    2007 SR5 Double Cab Radiant Red 5.7 w/TSS

2007 Azure 188 Elite 5.0

Previous:
    2004 SR5 Texas Edition Access Cab 4.7
    2002 SR5 Access PreRunner 2.7

Liked
    49 times
    Images

It seems the 07 gets slightly better than the old Tundra without vvti, and slightyl worse than the old Tundra that had vvti.
    2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 5.7, White w/ oak leather, Moonroof, NAV, Factory 20's, XM. Level kit, 35 x 12.5 Procomp AT's

2005 Corvette C6 (#581) Coupe 6 spd Black, Loaded, Black Leather, Navigation, HUD, F55 Magnetic ride, Z51 Brakes/calipers/sway-bars, LT Headers, Route 66 Exhaust, Ram Air, Tune, Porting, 160 stat. Only 2 runs at the track...12.2s @119mph

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by low c1500 View Post
    It seems the 07 gets slightly better than the old Tundra without vvti, and slightyl worse than the old Tundra that had vvti.
    I dunno about that, i have an 05 ac cab 4x4 and I average about 13mpg with mixed city and hwy. best i got since i got the truck new was 16, I hope it comes up soon, its terrible. im thinking of buying a new truck just to get one that isnt a lemon on gas milage like mine is.

FSS
    Liked
    12 times

I'm just finishing off my first tank in my 5.7L DC 4x4, it appears at this point that the mileage is about the same as my 2002 AC 4x4. I'll calculate when I refuel and compare with the computer. However, at this point looking at the trip meter when I hit 3/4, 1/2 and now just 1/4 tank, mileage is about the same as what I had grown to expect during 4 1/2 years with my '02. With this being my first tank, I am assuming the mileage should also increase with break-in.

Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb 18mpg for everyone!!!

I finally found the secret to 18mpg average!

for the first 2000miles, my 5.7 dc 4x4 was avg mid 17s to 19. Then... all of a sudden, it dropped to 13mpg!!! What happened? I realized it had waaayy more power than I was giving it credit for. I had been easing around like I was still in my '06 chevy z71.

The point is:
    A. if you drive your Tundra like its a Chevrolemon with 36,001 miles just out of factory warranty - scared to death that it will break at the next stop sign- then you can acheive 18mpg. Baby it.
    B. if you drive your Tundra like it is a 381hp, rice burner on crack, meanest 3/4ton S.O.B. on the highway, glueing yourself against the seat at every take-off... then you should be happy with 13mpg. It will be worth it until gasoline makes it to $7/gal

IMHO

Liked
    5 times

Default Re: 18mpg for everyone!!!

Nice call. What the hell's it matter whether you get 13 or 18 mpg. Stomp that peddle to floor once in awhile and enjoy that beast of a truck. No sense having all that power if you can't enjoy it once in awhile. I've test driven the 4.7 and 5.7 and I love the 5.7. It's probably way more power than I need since I don't haul a trailer or boat but it just feels good. I'm gonna get my Tundra in August. Still putting away the pennies for it. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymack View Post
    I finally found the secret to 18mpg average!

for the first 2000miles, my 5.7 dc 4x4 was avg mid 17s to 19. Then... all of a sudden, it dropped to 13mpg!!! What happened? I realized it had waaayy more power than I was giving it credit for. I had been easing around like I was still in my '06 chevy z71.

The point is:
    A. if you drive your Tundra like its a Chevrolemon with 36,001 miles just out of factory warranty - scared to death that it will break at the next stop sign- then you can acheive 18mpg. Baby it.
    B. if you drive your Tundra like it is a 381hp, rice burner on crack, meanest 3/4ton S.O.B. on the highway, glueing yourself against the seat at every take-off... then you should be happy with 13mpg. It will be worth it until gasoline makes it to $7/gal

IMHO

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by audioman81 View Post
    I dunno about that, i have an 05 ac cab 4x4 and I average about 13mpg with mixed city and hwy. best i got since i got the truck new was 16, I hope it comes up soon, its terrible. im thinking of buying a new truck just to get one that isnt a lemon on gas milage like mine is.
    Well your not the only one, I'm in the same boat as you. My 05 AC 4x4 is a real hog on gas too. Doesn't matter how I drive it, 10 MPG city and 16 highway. About 3 MPG less in winter. It doesn't get near the EPA rating. With 24,000 kms on it already there was very little, if any mileage improvment since new. I can drive it as slow and easy as I like and this truck WILL NOT get it's EPA rating nor do I believe it can. It pi$$es me off when the 07 5.7L 4x4 with 100 more HP and 1000 lbs more weight can get the same or better mileage than my little 05 AC 4x4.

Liked
    1 times

The best I've done in my '06 DC 4.7 4x4 with tow package is ~300 miles on 21 gallons - mostly city/rural roads. That equals 14.3 mpg. I'm sure I can get more if I did highway driving, but I don't so it really doesn't matter. This last tank I've been stomping on the gas, enjoying the V8, and I'll be lucky to hit 260 miles, or 12.4 mpg. Keep in mind, I'm in the mid west, and we have a different type of fuel during the cold months. This may get better when they switch to summer gasoline. I also have a huge ladder rack and two 24' and 28' ladders that act like a small sail, so I'm not getting what others will without the rack.

Most vehicles are designed to go 300 miles on a tank of gas. Check how many gallons you go until empty, then divide that number by HOW MANY GALLONS YOU PUT IN. (My tank holds 26 gallons, but I can rarely top off at 21 gallons b/c of the hidden reserve and fuel gaging Toyota uses.) That will give you your mpg if you do that 3-4 times. The computer is not as accurate as actual tracking of miles and gallons at fuel ups.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I now have 1600 miles and best, current, average is 15.4.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Well your not the only one, I'm in the same boat as you. My 05 AC 4x4 is a real hog on gas too. Doesn't matter how I drive it, 10 MPG city and 16 highway. About 3 MPG less in winter. It doesn't get near the EPA rating. With 24,000 kms on it already there was very little, if any mileage improvment since new. I can drive it as slow and easy as I like and this truck WILL NOT get it's EPA rating nor do I believe it can. It pi$$es me off when the 07 5.7L 4x4 with 100 more HP and 1000 lbs more weight can get the same or better mileage than my little 05 AC 4x4.
    nice to see im not alone, but i dont wish that on anyone. wonder what toyota did to mess our trucks up? or why the difference?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by audioman81 View Post
    nice to see im not alone, but i dont wish that on anyone. wonder what toyota did to mess our trucks up? or why the difference?
    My 06 DC 4x4 4.7 has been really bad since day one too
    I get 12-13mpg in the winter and 13-14mpg in the summer and my truck now has 16,000 miles on it with no sign of improving.
    I do at least 1/2 my driving on the highway going easy on the pedal but it's just plain bad..
    The best I ever got was 15mpg and that was totally on the highway on a road trip...

People are always saying it's a truck don't cry about gas mileage but in all honesty if I knew it was going to be this bad I would have thought twice about buying it...

Right now I have 177 miles on my odometer and my guauge is on 1/4 tank..My light usually comes on somewhere around 240 miles which is piss poor IMO

2013 Tundra Rock Warrior..Husky Weatherbeater floor liners,Go Rhino Dominator 2 stepbars,Unique truckbox LineX'ed black....

Liked
    1 times

My 02 Tundra gets 14 city, never better, these new Tundras should be given some break-in time before even comparing mileage.

My daughters 2005 Civic would only get 25 mpg at first, after 20k it gets 37 city I was surprised, because the sticker says 31 city 38 hwy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast