Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Unichip Owners…What from Here??

48K views 393 replies 39 participants last post by  alohatundra 
#1 ·
Unichip Owners…What from Here??

I have some more light to shed on the latest round of questions. The question has been brought up about what effects the unichip will have on daily driveability, and closed loop operation. Is this just a “WOT modification” that only gets used past 85% throttle as recently stated?

The first place to look for this answer and the one to place the most merit in would be the end users. We have (2) different TS users driving these test trucks. Read their comments, they state runs better, shifts better, runs like it should…and other similar comments on daily driveability. These are not solely realated to WOT…and there is reason for this. Also yellbird has independently posted similar comments…another TS user, and he stated he would buy again…lets no lose site of this when we evaluate the purchase.

Now, on what changes are made in WOT, this is where power gains are made, if you need more power you push the pedal, at some point the motor will downshift…yes, but you are asking the motor for more work and this is how a vehhicle is designed to give you the most possible. The unichip at 85% of “power capability” lets call it, because throttle position is inaccurate, starts to develop the additional power, and this is the point where open loop mapping takes over, and where our tunes for mods plays the role in “power”.
This is not necessisarily 85% on the throttle position, and I had a long talk with Jack about this today. My 03 seems to have most of its power from zero to half pedal…it’s drive by wire….the rest of the pedal does next to nothing…and this is important because each vehicle can and is different from manufacturer. It will do its downshift and go for power at about half pedal….so we may be going into open loop somewhere around there. Jack is going to check this with my truck…he can tell this on the dyno….and we’ll know in a couple of weeks. So forget about 85% throttle position for now…it’s 85% power capability from here on!

Now on closed loop, and no benefits as V8Toilet posted. This is not true. There are no “adjustments made to CHANGE” from the 14.7 to 1 ratio…we have to and want to keep that for economy. But…unichip does help here…not by trying to “change” but working with the ECU to maintain 14.7 to 1….and it will help maintain it better because it will increase and more accurately supply the actual amount on data points…so the waves up and down from optimum will smooth out. And this is why it runs better as people are posting. Now…while we are here…I told Jack I believe some adjustments here could be in order…many of us smell unburned fuel under load…this could be an issue…and it could also be poor fuel…but he will LOOK for this as well. He saw no problems in closed loop in 2 test truck, but wasn't asked to look for any specific issues, and stated no CHANGES are made in closed loop…and this is true…just better information and more data points are going out to your engine.

I will keep everyone in “open loop” on where things are…and yes…Jack is mapping headers, free flow exhaust, and intake and I will be doing it…I will add an intake and recheck….so unless you are getting a RAPS which we all know helps…I would hold off on the intake until we se how it does!

In closing….this has been a PITA!!!….and I got a bit edgy at times…but thank each and every one for taking a part…it got a lot of great info out here. The money and information will be forwarded to Unichip on Monday…we finished with 45 orders!! Now we wait till the 23rd.

Kevin

See less See more
#252 ·
alohatundra said:
Kevin - As usual, a great post with wonderful detail :tu:

With all the info on your n/a system, I'm wanting the same type of info on the s/c unichip. Any follow up reports on how the s/c test truck is doing?

I have installed the SS headers and have gained noticable power, but the knocking problem I had before the headers is now much worse. Every hard acceleration (50% throttle or more, which should = WOT and open loop per Kevin's experiment) run has severe engine knock right around 3200 - 3500. I'm really hoping the unichip will cure this. Comments?
In Jacks desription of the problems with the TRD piggyback, the largest issues were in detonation (timing knock). The unichip should resolve this problem. I haven't had a recent update on the 00 SC truck, from what I've gathered it is all going good.

Also...I assume you are running 92+ octane.

Kevin

#253 ·
Kevin:

I'm trying to figure out how you got your problem fixed. Did you get a hold of a scan tool to get the codes, then contact Jack? Did they send out an exchange unit to you overnight? Mine runs a little bit ragged sometimes when it's pulling a slight grade with part throttle. It's always done it at times since new. It always felt like it was too lean to me. However, Ive never had a CEL.

On your gas pedal experiment: I have a G-tech and could put a piece of 3/4" thick board under the pedal and do some 0-60's. One time last spring, I ran a series of (3) runs (both directions over the same road) with times between 7.5 and 7.6 seconds. I was starting about 1/2 throttle, then flooring it after the truck was moving. In the fall, I did (3) runs under almost identical conditions and could only get 7.8 to 7.85 seconds. That time I was just flooring it at the start. You might have something with your theory. One downside is that it might be tied to the low speed limiter, such that power is limited at full pedal under a certain speed. Once that speed is reached, maybe actual full open at the TB may only be obtained with the pedal on the mat. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Will the speed limiter changes be incorporated in the first chips that get sent out, or will we have to wait until we retune to get those new features?

#254 ·
Dude Boy said:
Kevin:

I'm trying to figure out how you got your problem fixed. Did you get a hold of a scan tool to get the codes, then contact Jack? Did they send out an exchange unit to you overnight? Mine runs a little bit ragged sometimes when it's pulling a slight grade with part throttle. It's always done it at times since new. It always felt like it was too lean to me. However, Ive never had a CEL.

On your gas pedal experiment: I have a G-tech and could put a piece of 3/4" thick board under the pedal and do some 0-60's. One time last spring, I ran a series of (3) runs (both directions over the same road) with times between 7.5 and 7.6 seconds. I was starting about 1/2 throttle, then flooring it after the truck was moving. In the fall, I did (3) runs under almost identical conditions and could only get 7.8 to 7.85 seconds. That time I was just flooring it at the start. You might have something with your theory. One downside is that it might be tied to the low speed limiter, such that power is limited at full pedal under a certain speed. Once that speed is reached, maybe actual full open at the TB may only be obtained with the pedal on the mat. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Will the speed limiter changes be incorporated in the first chips that get sent out, or will we have to wait until we retune to get those new features?
Looks like you pretty much proved the point with your tests! All we need to confirm is the amount to limit travel...looks like.

I had a local shop tweak the timing maps. They hooked up to unichip and backed the appropriate load setting per Tony's instruction...took about 15 mins. They gave me codes, an I had them run at Japaneese auto as well prior...so I knew the prob. going in. (they actualy gave me codes for free).

Just heard the 2000-2002 harneses are in...Jack is still out of town..but prob. next week you guys should be getting them shipped (Tony and Todd will handle this). They should ship with speed limiter removed...I'll check this with Tony today...and see if its resolved.

Kevin

#255 ·
Verndog said:
Looks like you pretty much proved the point with your tests! All we need to confirm is the amount to limit travel...looks like.

I had a local shop tweak the timing maps. They hooked up to unichip and backed the appropriate load setting per Tony's instruction...took about 15 mins. They gave me codes, an I had them run at Japaneese auto as well prior...so I knew the prob. going in. (they actualy gave me codes for free).

Just heard the 2000-2002 harneses are in...Jack is still out of town..but prob. next week you guys should be getting them shipped (Tony and Todd will handle this). They should ship with speed limiter removed...I'll check this with Tony today...and see if its resolved.

Kevin
Woohoo I'm itching to send Jack the rest of the money. My truck is dying for a Unichip :devil:.

In other news, I think I found a donor Lexus engine with the crank I'd need to increase displacement. Not sure of price yet. But, If I do this and get new Unichip maps, I'll share all my findings.

#256 ·
Jim Carrey comes to mind...

keiphers said:
In other news, I think I found a donor Lexus engine with the crank I'd need to increase displacement. Not sure of price yet. But, If I do this and get new Unichip maps, I'll share all my findings.
Says keiphers:

Oooooo...somebody stop me!

:)

Jim.

#257 ·
keiphers said:
What rods and pistons will you use? An increase in stroke will move the piston further into the combustion chamber (possibly further enough to hit the chamber itself) if rod length and/or pistons aren't changed.

#258 ·
Eddie said:
What rods and pistons will you use? An increase in stroke will move the piston further into the combustion chamber (possibly further enough to hit the chamber itself) if rod length and/or pistons aren't changed.
Eddies right , also the longer stroke ( im assuming it would be longer cause shorter is a waste of time ) will bring the rods into the bottem of the block, some serious machine work will have to be done to the skirts. also isnt the lexus crank out of a 6 bolt main design? this would leave me wondering how well the stroker kit should/could be ballanced if to be used in a 2 bolt refit.
just thinking out loud -
ive put a few chevy strokers together and ran into all of these issues -needed custom rods made, block machined, crank turned ,ect.

#259 ·
Dude Boy said:
One downside is that it might be tied to the low speed limiter, such that power is limited at full pedal under a certain speed. Once that speed is reached, maybe actual full open at the TB may only be obtained with the pedal on the mat. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
That is exactly what I've been wondering, as well.

#260 ·
Eddie said:
I'm not quite sure yet, but I had thought of that issue. Anyone got any leads? I'm not coming up with much.

But, from what I'd heard from nitrousfed a while ago (doubt I should trust him), the Lexus crank mod doesn't require too much machine work... The pistons and rods are a big issue tho.

#261 ·
keiphers said:
I'm not quite sure yet, but I had thought of that issue. Anyone got any leads? I'm not coming up with much.

But, from what I'd heard from nitrousfed a while ago (doubt I should trust him), the Lexus crank mod doesn't require too much machine work... The pistons and rods are a big issue tho.
thats alot of swapping your gonna do on a engine that riding on advice from a member who is notorious for being full of $h!t. Past members have already taken the plunge and bit the big one. Want more power, get the s/c.

#262 ·
TRDKEAU said:
thats alot of swapping your gonna do on a engine that riding on advice from a member who is notorious for being full of $h!t. Past members have already taken the plunge and bit the big one. Want more power, get the s/c.
I fully agree. Just saying nitrousfed (Mike) is unreliable is a gigantic understatement, since he's blown about 4 Tundra engines.

But, I do want to mess around with N/A for a while before I go FI. I just think there's something cool about a really powerful N/A engine. If/when I do FI, I kind of want to go turbo, because I found a very reputable shop in my area that says they could build me a nice turbo setup. But, I'm going to see what different performance shops around here can do for me stroke / cam / piston / rod wise. Also, I think there's an E46 M3 in my near future, which would definitely put the Tundra in the back of my head mod wise :devil:.

#263 ·
Has anyone been contacted by Jack or anyone at unichip yet in regards to there units? If so could you keep us posted on up to date info.? thanks :tu:

#264 ·
nope

mandzach said:
Has anyone been contacted by Jack or anyone at unichip yet in regards to there units? If so could you keep us posted on up to date info.? thanks :tu:
I know that there has been customs problems and so forth, but I would have thought we would have gotten a call so he could map the units. I was under the imoression that it was not the units he was waiting for, but the PNP harnesses.

#266 ·
mandzach said:
The harware is now in (2000-2002), and as of Friday, they were starting work on final assembly. I would guess early this coming week you guys should begin getting contacted about your modifications and final payment.

They are following good business ethics, and not collecting prior to being ready to ship...this is why the delay in contact.

Kevin

#267 ·
awesome

Verndog said:
The harware is now in (2000-2002), and as of Friday, they were starting work on final assembly. I would guess early this coming week you guys should begin getting contacted about your modifications and final payment.

They are following good business ethics, and not collecting prior to being ready to ship...this is why the delay in contact.

Kevin
i can taste the power now. Kev thanks for everything man! :tu:

#268 ·
2000-2002 update.

Things are looking good for the 2000-2002 unichips to ship later this week. There is alot of leg work in calling everyone and confirming order and arranging final payment.

If you guys call Unichip in the next day or 2 you will speed matters up. This way they can focus on assembly and not on phone all day. Toll free 1.866.643.7400 :tu: :tu: :D

They should begin attempting to contact members tomarrow.

Kevin

#269 ·
Verndog said:
Things are looking good for the 2000-2002 unichips to ship later this week. There is alot of leg work in calling everyone and confirming order and arranging final payment.

If you guys call Unichip in the next day or 2 you will speed matters up. This way they can focus on assembly and not on phone all day. Toll free 1.866.643.7400 :tu: :tu: :D

They should begin attempting to contact members tomarrow.

Kevin
:tu: wooooohooooooo :tu:

#270 ·
I called

Jack is back... and I am ON DA LIST!!!!
I spoke to Todd and Jack MIGHT be in the office late tonite... jet lag from South Africa and all.... Geesh!

SCDTRD

#272 ·
I'm in, too! Same info from Todd.

#273 ·
Got chip?

Just talked to Todd myself and he read off *exactly* what I originally sent regarding my mods. He said they're wrapping up the programming and should ship Friday or Monday. YES!!!! :p I've been traveling every other week to San Jose and just happen to be home all next week. Can't wait! :eek: :devil: :cool: :D

Seee-ya!

Jim.

#275 ·
bmlecuy said:
Just talked to Todd ... I'm on the short strokes now baby! Just a few more days! :D
This is great news!!! :tu: I've got a '04, so I'll have to wait awhile yet :cry: But I am happy for all of you preparing for the long awaited moment!!! Who's going to be the first to start a thread on the "INSTALLED" chip :rolleyes: We gotta hear how it is!!!! :D

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.