Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Mobil1 oil filter

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Stooge 
#1 ·
I've been using Mobil1 products in my '01 Tundra since it was new. My wife now has a '04 4Runner, 2WD, V6. I want to change to Mobil1 oil and filter but can't find oil filter application data for the '04. Older application books show the '01 & '02 4Runner takes the same filter as my V8 Tundra, Mobil M1-102. Could anyone verify that please? I've done an Internet search, but haven't been very successful. Can't believe Mobil's website wouldn't have that data available... :ts:

#4 ·
What's the point in a larger filter? I know, guesswork that the filter will have more filter media for some benefit and the supposition that more oil in the system is better. I'd prefer to stay with the filter specified for the engine and get the bypass pressure, flow rate, and other characteristics that the engine designer wanted.

I have an excellent oil analysis at 10,018 miles on the same oil and OEM filter...I'll sample again at 12,500. There is no reason to use a different filter until the oil is finally due for change as determined by the lab.

By the way, I think Purolator Pure One filters filter as well for less cost. I'm using Toyota/Denso 90915-20004 filters; when they're gone I'll try the current Toyota filter and get an analysis to see how it does.

Ken

#6 ·
Changed the oil and filter today. The Mobil1 #M1-102 does apparently fit, but is smaller than the stock Toyota filter. That is, it's diameter is the same, but is shorter in length. Maybe I'll try the larger Mobil1 filter next time. BTW, that inverted oil filter on the new 4Runner initially appeared to be a good idea, and looks easier to access. But I had a hard time getting enough room for a decent pull on the filter wrench. Plus that upside-down filter makes a mess when you remove it. True, there is a small drip pan for the filter, and it has a nice little drain, but it makes an unnecessary mess, in my opinion.

#7 ·
I don't think the M1-301 will fit inside of your drip pan, and even if it does, it's going to quickly dump nearly a quart out when you crack the gasket... it may dump too quickly for the drain port.

Toyota makes two different lengths of the same filter... this example is for the RAV4/Highlander/Echo
90915-YZZA2 and 90915-YZZA1
The A1 is the longer one, while the A2 is the same as the M1-103.

I'd stick with the M1-102 on the 'runner and be confident that you are using a filter with a superior filtering media.

#8 ·
My two cents

I own a 2003 4runner v-6. I use Mobil1 with a Purolator "PureONE" PL10241 filter. Can't find anyone who sells the Mobil1 filters where I live. The PureONE is a nice filter. Check it out on their website.
I think it is almost fun to change the filter on the V-6. I never had any problem with excess oil. I take the filter off last after the engine has drained, then hold a small jar under the housing holding the pooled oil from the removed filter. Just remove the rubber cap underneath and catch the oil in the jar, then replace the rubber cap.

#9 ·
dohc said:
I own a 2003 4runner v-6. I use Mobil1 with a Purolator "PureONE" PL10241 filter. Can't find anyone who sells the Mobil1 filters where I live.
Autozone is the only source I've found.

Problem is they want over $5/qt for the oil, so I get the 5-qt jugs from Wally World, or 6-packs from Costco.
Cool thing about going to the M1-301 is it brings the 4.7 right to 7 quarts.
No more trying to remember where I put that extra half-quart, and then finding 6 half-quart bottles a year later :D

#10 ·
dohc said:
I own a 2003 4runner v-6. I use Mobil1 with a Purolator "PureONE" PL10241 filter. Can't find anyone who sells the Mobil1 filters where I live. The PureONE is a nice filter. Check it out on their website.
I think it is almost fun to change the filter on the V-6. I never had any problem with excess oil. I take the filter off last after the engine has drained, then hold a small jar under the housing holding the pooled oil from the removed filter. Just remove the rubber cap underneath and catch the oil in the jar, then replace the rubber cap.
In my Tundra and Sequoia (V8s), I've used the Amsoil SDF57 for awhile and have used the PureOne PL10241 recently. It's seems to be a toss-up to which one is better. Both seem well made and have identical oil pressure readings on the trucks when operating. The PureOne is available at the local AutoZone for $4.99 and thus is relatively cheap. They also fit my 20 HP B&S Tractor motor, so I just need one for all of my needs!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.