Toyota Tundra Forums banner

What's your favorite tire?

10K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  jjc 
#1 ·
I'm looking for the biggest, meatiest, and most appealing tire to wedge under my '03 Tundra with a 2.5-3" King lift. Off-Road performance matters, too. I am looking for 33s, unless there are some 34s I could fit?

What are your suggestions?

#2 ·
yokohama

i tend to think yokohama makes a great tire (i know what tires are pretty good been doing my research well over the lasted few years. The stock dunlops tires toyota provides and bf goodrich tires as well are not good. in my opinion a softer grade of rubber and doesn't last as long compared to the rest. plus toyota buys the cheapest tire possible being they buy them bulk..I have had my tundra tires replaced 2 times (with different brands) so far 2 years seems to be within the target range i replace my tundra's tires. Word of warning when you upgrade to a larger size make sure you have the clearance to do so having a larger tire size makes for speed cali being off as well, as it rubbing during hard cornering ...I would suggest 18 inch being the biggest i would add to my tundra, any bigger might have issues..

http://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&tirename=Avid+H4S

#3 ·
hovisimo said:
34s will require some trimming. if you want the absolute meatiest, check out super swamper TSL boggers. not very practical for on-road use, though. assuming you drive on the road, check out interco's trXus MT in 285/75/16, they're a hair over 33" and should be meaty enough unless you do serious mud bogging.

my favorite tire is the michelin LTX/AT, but that doesn't really apply here since you want meaty.
ryan,

lol at your bio line hey you stole my line no fair dude :tu: ....

#5 ·
Yah, I actually don't want a tire that meaty.

The tires I've been eyeing up so far have been the Wrangler MT/Rs and the MT Baja Claws. What trimming is required for a 34"?

#8 ·
RC said:
I have a set of 285/70/17 Goodyear MT/R s on 17X8 wheels. They are only slightly noisier than BF Goodrich ATs.
Very interesting ovservation, my friend has a set of 35s on his bronco, and they hum and are significantly louder then my 32s on my ranger. I also got some new remington wide brut's to replace my BFGs, the MTRs still are louder...Another thing, my friend had 33" Claws on his taco, and dang, those REALLY hummed. Just some things to think about. based on my experice with hearing tires quietest to loudest would be:

Remington Wide Brut RV
BFG AT KO
MTR's
BAJA CLAWS

Im not too sure how much this post helped, but I jsut wanted to give you an idea of sound level...sorry if it didnt

#9 ·
depending on how much it rains where you are, you might want to look at the big-o xt. they seem like a fairly hard compound, they work well offroad in dry rocky stuff, and dont walk on the highway. they are hairy in the rain, tho...as will be any tire (like a bogger, for instance) which doesnt have much in the way of siping. theyre a high desert, rocky mountain kind of tire, great for that sort of terrain, not so good in the mudwest without siping.

-s

#10 ·
DevinSixtySeven said:
depending on how much it rains where you are, you might want to look at the big-o xt. they seem like a fairly hard compound, they work well offroad in dry rocky stuff, and dont walk on the highway. they are hairy in the rain, tho...as will be any tire (like a bogger, for instance) which doesnt have much in the way of siping. theyre a high desert, rocky mountain kind of tire, great for that sort of terrain, not so good in the mudwest without siping.

-s
*Note - The Interco TrXus MT's are one of the few of that style which are siped from the factory. I'm still very happy with mine. 25,000 miles and still going strong. They do give me a good steering wheel shimmey at ~50 mph, but I can deal with it for the price and quality of tire they are. Also, they aren't very lound on the highway as long as you rotate them every 3k at most. PM me if you have any other questions about them in particular.

Shawn

#11 ·
The Goodyear Wrangler MTR's are great off road tires. However, be sure to have your alignment done to DJ's specs. I never did and mine have worn out more on the outside. My next tires are going to be the Dicke Cepek FC Radial II's. AT tires that look very aggressive. Another option would be the new Toyo Open Country MT's. They look very similar to the MTR's and they are siped. However, they smallest they come in is 35" x 15". Which the rim size is too small for the tundra.

If you are interested, I have 3 Used Ivan Stewart Rims wrapped with Goodyear Wrangler MTR tires for sale. I'm asking $300 if you are interested. I'm in the East Bay.

Mike

#12 ·
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers they are an AT that does very well on the road. Their overall feel reminds me quite a bit of the Michelion LTX AT which were-heretofore-my favorite tire. I have the Nitto in 33's on my truck now, they do real well in the mud, but they LOVE the snow.

If you into getting mudders some tires I had also thought LOOKED cool (no idea how they perform) were the Pro Comp X terrains, BFG Mud, and Maxxis Buckshot...

I think you're going to need a bit more than 3" up front to fit 34s (depends on backspacing really) The consensus is that with a coilover cranked fully to 2.5-3.0--33s just make it. In mine, I had to do some trimming to get the 33s under with a 2.75" Fabtech...

#13 ·
here is a list of tires that i have had experience with and used on my trucks

bfgoodrich mud terrain in a 33 and 35 - I loved the 33's ...but after i ran the 35's for a while they would give me bad wobble's on the freeway at about 65-70mph...(It could have just been my set of tires...not sure) quite if you rotate em every time you think about it.

Interco traxxus mud terrain in 39.5 Loves to grab road ruts...Only because its so big...good tire for the money...Cheap kinda quite

goodyear wrangler mtrs in 37x12.5x17 Where and are awesome...By far the quietest tires i have used and i think are some of the nicest...

Also a friend has some Parnelli Jones Dirt grip in 38's and they are about equivalent as far as mileage goes to the goodyears...They are louder then the goodyears thou

If it were up to me i would go with either the Parnellis or the goodyears.
Later and goodluck

#14 ·
hovisimo said:
trXus are lots of fun. they're super quiet for a MT. i've actually driven on louder ATs. not bad in the rain either. never tried 'em in snow. they're great in mud and on rocks, but as i understand, not very good in sand.
You're really F :devil: :D kin :td: Funny Ryan! No, they are a little bit to aggressive for alot of sand usage, unless you air down to 10 psi. I'll be going with Interco TrXus STS - All Terrain for the NC sand in a few months when mine are outta tread...

#15 ·
lol at ryan

hovisimo said:
trXus are lots of fun. they're super quiet for a MT. i've actually driven on louder ATs. not bad in the rain either. never tried 'em in snow. they're great in mud and on rocks, but as i understand, not very good in sand.

ryan just think's he is funny :D .....

ps..ryan how do you like my new bioline now it's payback now (haha) :) and you know i am kidding so dont take this so serious...

#16 ·
hovisimo said:
wrap your quote and size tags and you're on.
no time for that... looking at the new 2005 tundra updates dam soo nice to have infomation you guys don't :D ...(ill share it later) looks like 2005 is going to a great year 4.7 with vvti 282 horsepower and 5 speed trans not to mention a new 4.0v6 engine on the tundra and revised grill and bumper's tailights on access cab ...tire presure monitor system and revised gauges
(sweet)

#20 ·
My BFG All Terrains got me through every bit of snow this past winter belted out. That's on the road and in some fields and my back yard, went through some spots that worried me until the truck crawled right through without a second glance. Think I'll keep them for a while.

#22 ·
Mostly street, but I will be using these off-road, sometimes in some pretty nasty muck and some moderate trails. The off-road performance is as, if not more, important to me than the street performance.

I am going for a certain look, though. I am looking for a tire similar in "meatiness" to the MT/Rs, X-Terrains, or Baja Claws. Are these tires a decent compromise for my intended usage? I don't want ungodly loud tires that handle horribly in the rain. I am looking for a tire that gives me an aggressive look, handles mud and trails well, but still handles ok in the rain and under normal driving conditions.

Do the MT/Rs serve my purpose?

#23 ·
HackSack said:
Mostly street, but I will be using these off-road, sometimes in some pretty nasty muck and some moderate trails. The off-road performance is as, if not more, important to me than the street performance.

I am going for a certain look, though. I am looking for a tire similar in "meatiness" to the MT/Rs, X-Terrains, or Baja Claws. Are these tires a decent compromise for my intended usage? I don't want ungodly loud tires that handle horribly in the rain. I am looking for a tire that gives me an aggressive look, handles mud and trails well, but still handles ok in the rain and under normal driving conditions.

Do the MT/Rs serve my purpose?
I have "heard" that MTR's are not really bad on the street, I thought my old BFG MT's were not too bad either. I am really surprised at how well these Revos act on the rocks and trails - they are pretty impressive and kick total ass on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.