1st Gen 4WD Conversion - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1st Gen 4WD Conversion

So I've had my truck going on 5 years and I regret buying it as a 2wd model but then again I couldn't complain about the price and living in SoCal 4wd isn't really necessary. For a while I told myself I would just sell it and get a 4wd model if I need it too but then I put it up for sale up in the private sector and it wasn't going as well. So now that I'm moving to Colorado in 2 months I know I will be needing the 4wd system so I decided to tackle the challenge and convert my 2wd A/C Tundra to 4wd model.

Typical part list that will be needed to convert will be
-4wd Transmission
-Transfercase
-Front ADD (front Differential)
-Front and Rear Driveshaft
-Steering Knuckles with 4wd Hubs
-Wiring Harness
-CV Axles
-Transfer Case 4wd control
-4wd Center Dash Bezel
-Differential Drop Kit (if lifted)
-4wd Transmission Cross-member and Mount
-Fluids and filter
-Bolts
-Might need 4wd ECM but from what toyota tech say is not necessary
-Gears ratio on the differentials need to match as well I'll be using 3.90 for now on 285/70/r17 tire size.

Prices due vary so if you do plan on doing this shop around before you pull the trigger on the items unless you know you are getting a deal.

So far I'm at $1100 with transmission, t-case, front diff, 4wd control, wiring harness, dash bezel, front driveshaft, knuckles and hubs.

I will upload better pictures of the items as the build begins but for now while I still collect part I will use the ones I have on the phone.

Transmission with Tcase already attached and cross-member buried somewhere in there.
IMG_2755.jpg

Front Automatic Disconnecting Differential (ADD)
IMG_2756.jpg

Center Dash Bezel
IMG_2805.jpg

I don't have a picture of the 4wd control on my phone but I will include the pic of it
4WD control.JPG

Wiring Harness that includes full engine transmission and front differential
IMG_2828.jpg

Knuckles/hubs and front driveshaft
IMG_2818.jpg

I will try my best to show you guys step by step on how to do this

All I need now is a rear driveshaft and fluids,bolts, and filter.

Once I have time I will include a parts interchangeable list that way it can help you find parts a bit better.

'03 Tundra SR5 A/C 4wd Converted
-Magnaflow Muffler
-Willwood rotors OEM pads
-K&N Cold Air Intake FIPK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-JBA Headers
-BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain LT285/70/R17
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Re: 1st Gen 4WD Conversion

Wow yes that is a huge undertaking. I had similar thoughts when I brought my awesome beautiful 2003 Texas truck up to colorado.

Looking forward to your thread. This guy has done it I"m sure you've already seen this thread:

Tundra 4wd conversion - YotaTech Forums
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:35 AM

thank you keep us updated! i want to do this conversion as well just been trying to collect parts the past year.

did you pull n pick from a local junk yard for the parts?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I actually only pulled one part from a yard. The front diff was the only item I pulled from a yard. I got the other parts thru some part out trucks and some parts thru eBay.

I will keep you guys updated just during be weekend. Work and school are my life during the weekdays and weekend will be focused on the truck. Going to swap out harness this weekend I'll include pics Sunday night.
I'm heading out to Colorado next week so I won't be able to do that much till maybe the end of the month.

-Magnaflow Muffler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delatorre805 View Post
So I've had my truck going on 5 years and I regret buying it as a 2wd model but then again I couldn't complain about the price and living in SoCal 4wd isn't really necessary. For a while I told myself I would just sell it and get a 4wd model if I need it too but then I put it up for sale up in the private sector and it wasn't going as well. So now that I'm moving to Colorado in 2 months I know I will be needing the 4wd system so I decided to tackle the challenge and convert my 2wd A/C Tundra to 4wd model.

Typical part list that will be needed to convert will be
-4wd Transmission
-Transfercase
-Front ADD (front Differential)
-Front and Rear Driveshaft
-Steering Knuckles with 4wd Hubs
-Wiring Harness
-CV Axles
-Transfer Case 4wd control
-4wd Center Dash Bezel
-Differential Drop Kit (if lifted)
-4wd Transmission Cross-member and Mount
-Fluids and filter
-Bolts
-Might need 4wd ECM but from what toyota tech say is not necessary
-Gears ratio on the differentials need to match as well I'll be using 3.90 for now on 285/70/r17 tire size.

Prices due vary so if you do plan on doing this shop around before you pull the trigger on the items unless you know you are getting a deal.

So far I'm at $1100 with transmission, t-case, front diff, 4wd control, wiring harness, dash bezel, front driveshaft, knuckles and hubs.

I will upload better pictures of the items as the build begins but for now while I still collect part I will use the ones I have on the phone.

Transmission with Tcase already attached and cross-member buried somewhere in there.
Attachment 67277

Front Automatic Disconnecting Differential (ADD)
Attachment 67278

Center Dash Bezel
Attachment 67279

I don't have a picture of the 4wd control on my phone but I will include the pic of it
Attachment 67280

Wiring Harness that includes full engine transmission and front differential
Attachment 67281

Knuckles/hubs and front driveshaft
Attachment 67282

I will try my best to show you guys step by step on how to do this

All I need now is a rear driveshaft and fluids,bolts, and filter.

Once I have time I will include a parts interchangeable list that way it can help you find parts a bit better.
How much did you get the harness for?

2000 Tundra, 4x4, SR5, V8, 4.5" drop bracket lift, 285/75R16 Good year Duratrac Wranglers, 16" American Racing Mohave Teflon 8 hole six lug rims, Diff Breather Mod, Map light Mod, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Pioneer Speakers Front and Back, JVC Touchscreen with unit bypass, Bluetooth Connection and Microphone, ARB Snorkel And AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Q-logic dual 8inch sub enclosure with 2 Il audio 8' subs and alpine anplifier ( thanks senortundra)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

There is a guy here in Colorado, he has what I call "Tundra Paradise". He has like 6 tundras, several 4 runners and land cruisers, siennas, prius's. All sprinkled out deep in his wooded property. He has lots of parts, but he is a little proud of some of them. He is like an hour south of denver

Where in CO are you moving to? If you need more parts this guy has them, just FYI. There are also a couple trucks being parted out Denver local.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesR00 View Post
How much did you get the harness for?
You won't believe but I got it for 50 dollars. The guys had a totaled truck from the rear and he was parting it out. He looked wealthy from the look of his other vehicles. So I don't think he cared how much he really sold it for.

-Magnaflow Muffler

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichg1000 View Post
There is a guy here in Colorado, he has what I call "Tundra Paradise". He has like 6 tundras, several 4 runners and land cruisers, siennas, prius's. All sprinkled out deep in his wooded property. He has lots of parts, but he is a little proud of some of them. He is like an hour south of denver

Where in CO are you moving to? If you need more parts this guy has them, just FYI. There are also a couple trucks being parted out Denver local.

Im moving down to Colorado Springs. He might be in that area since the springs is 1hour away.

-Magnaflow Muffler

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Ok so my plans changed for the weekend and took the spare time I had to go over the complete harness that I bought from a 4wd A/C. All the engine plugs match to my stock stuff and then...... I got to the inside of the cab. Seems like the 04 plugs changed from the 03 models.
Behind the glove box were two connections. The grey one is part of my actual engine harness.
IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2864.jpg

The white one is the 4wd Connection (Female) IE2 is the plugs name in the 2003 FSM. It runs to the 4wd Control which is on the Passenger kick panel.
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2860[1].jpg

The plug should be in there in most models.
IMG_2883[1].jpg
This is with the 4wd Control installed which should make the 2/4L and 4H lights blink on the cluster and center console.
IMG_2882[1].jpg

So once I saw that the main grey connector on my truck did not match the pin sections to the 4wd harness I decided to just strip out all the 4wd connections of the harness.
IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_2875.jpg

Now I think I have a complete 4wd harness according to a mock up plug in to the Tcase and ADD
IMG_2887.jpg

I need to go to Toyota and see if the have the Male end plug and pins. Hopefully they do have it, if not I'll just remove the pins from the female end and solder the matching wire on from the 4wd harness.IMG_2888.jpg

Here are the wires that will plug on to the IE2 plug
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg

-Magnaflow Muffler

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Garage

Regear for your 35s while the front diff is out!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
Regear for your 35s while the front diff is out!
I will in the future but for right now I'm sticking with stock gears.
Wife will kill me if I threw more money on the truck since we just signed papers for a house in Colorado. Maybe we can go hit up MOAB one day since I'll be closer. I might take some of your ideas for the rear bumper. Once I'm done with the swap I'm going to mod the front bumper to put a winch in it

-Magnaflow Muffler

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 PM

connectors from the 4x4 harness all you need is the ADD connectors? do you need anything more for the transmission or the connectors from 4x4 and 4x2 are the same? i read 1 connector has to be extended from the 2wd harness to go to the transfer case sensor.

thanks
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Supporter

This is a regret/desire I've had with my 04 DC. Looking forward to the info! Thanks for posting.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurusaibobx View Post
connectors from the 4x4 harness all you need is the ADD connectors? do you need anything more for the transmission or the connectors from 4x4 and 4x2 are the same? i read 1 connector has to be extended from the 2wd harness to go to the transfer case sensor.

thanks
Ok so the connectors you need are 3 for the transfer case (two 2 pin and one 6 pin flat) and one for the ADD up front(one 6 pin flat or 3x3 if it has extension)
I will upload some pics from Jwbenninger on the yotatech forums.
This is the ADD flat connection
ADD PLUG.jpg
These are for the T-case
Tcase Plugs.jpg
I'm going by his conversion wiring which was also given to him by caligula455 on these forums.
Those two user are not on anymore and I wish the were.
The only wire that is originally on the 2wd harness that has to be modified is the speed sensor. It has to get extended so you'll have to cut the wire and solder some 6-9 inches on to sensor wires to reach the location of the 4wd tranny (on the right side of t-case).IMG_2871.jpg

Also the Gray solid wire that goes inside the cab has to be tapped in to the other set of solid gray that goes into the ECU. If you pull out the harness you can see a some rectangle box with a good amount of gray wires in it. It's works as a joint splice connector.-4-Pin-Skinned-Electric-Wire-Cable-Quick-Joint-Connector-for-1-5-2-5mm2-Cable.jpg Something like this but in black/white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparentman View Post
This is a regret/desire I've had with my 04 DC. Looking forward to the info! Thanks for posting.
I was on the same boat but since I'm moving and I don't want to part ways from my truck I'm doing the conversion. Otherwise I was going to go Long Travel with a kit from Solo Motorsports and MCM rear cantilever to load up my quads and tow the trailer.

-Magnaflow Muffler

-JBA Headers
-Enkei 360 Wheels
-Bilstein 5100
-Wheelers AAL
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 PM

if thats the case i only need the ADD/transfer case connectors. which means i can grab any 4x4 tacoma/tundra/4runner engine harness and rip those wires out of the harness? i read somewhere its really hard to find just the connectors from the dealer you could end up spending over 50 bucks for those connectors with pins.

in this photo you have the ADD connectors along with the speed sensor connect already extended?

Also regarding relays n fuses assoicated with 4x4? Are they already wired inside the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page