Lifting my '05 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lifting my '05

Help!! Hello everyone...new to Tundra Solutions, but glad to be here. I want to put @ a 33" tire on my 2005 Limited Sequoia (pictured as my avatar). I'm running into issues because of the rear air suspension. Even the guys at 4wheelparts.com are telling me they don't make a lift or leveling kit that can go on my truck.

I've been checking out the threads on here and not totally seeing my exact situation. Surely others have ran into this same issue right?! I can't be the only dude that wants a bigger, beefier look to a gen 1 right. My boss has a 2011 lifted and it looks awesome.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Super thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:52 PM

Garage
Re: Lifting my '05

To lift your '05 Limited Luxury edition with AHC and install 285-70-17's, do this:

FRONT SUSPENSION:
Install a front lift using components to your liking. I recommend new Bilstein 5100 shocks or a replacement coilover, not spacers. (I installed a Toytec 2.5" complete coil-over kit and diff-drop.)

Optional: install new upper control arms to avoid over-stressing the upper ball joint. (I installed SPC Light Racing adjustable Tundra UCA's.)

REAR SUSPENSION:
Adjust the rear AHC height control sensor. On the chassis above the rear diff, you'll see the AHC sensor. The sensor is connected to the rear axle with an adjustable threaded rod. On the axle itself, there's a bracket. Loosen the 10mm nut on the axle bracket and move it all the way forward on the axle, then tighten it. Use a small wrench to rotate the threaded rod so that it becomes longer. Do this until the rear ride height is level with the front. (Engine must be running to activate AHC compressor.)

REAR SHOCKS: Rancho #RS999208 9-way adjustable shocks (original application: 90-97 Land Cruiser) or Toyota OEM shocks for AHC. Note: Bilstein does not make any rear shocks that are valved correctly for AHC.

TIRES:
Install Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers. Install 285/70R17 tires of your preference. Get an alignment. Have the shop adjust the caster as positive as it'll go to move the tire forward. This will limit rubbing while the suspension cycles during turning.

The result of doing the above to my '05 4WD Limited Luxury is what you see in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-22 09.50.59.jpg (1.63 MB, 169 views)
Danh2485 and CrunchyDaddy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; 2.5" Toytec/Bilstein coilover lift; rear AHC adjusted to match; diff drop; EMPI Bates Porsche930 Inner CV Boots (Kartek.com); SPC UCA's; Nitro 4.88 gears; rear ARB locker; 285/70R17 BFG AT-KO2; SpeedoDRD calibrator; Spidertrax 1.25" spacers; SAIP Bypass module; Rancho RS999208 shocks; Bajarack Megamule; Stubbs HD-SKO sliders; ORFab cat theft shield; GTRlighting LED head and foglight bulbs; Rigid SR-30 & SR-Q; Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX; Scan-Gauge II; Tekonsha Primus IQ

Last edited by XPLORx4; 08-28-2017 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Newbie to the site as well and have to lift questions to ask:

1. Are spacers are really necessary, can't you just get wheels with the correct spacing?

2. Bilstein 5100 shocks - I had this model of shock on my Silverado 2500HD with a 4" lift - so are you saying that you are putting on a longer shock to get the added lift? I have seen this mentioned on a couple of sites and have been wanting a better clarification

3. You didn't mention this but what about rear coils, wouldn't replacing the rear coils with a stiffer spring take the stress off of the airbag system? On my truck I only inflated my bags when towing a load, if you are using your bags to get height, what happens when you tow? What are the height limitations of the stock system? Mine has airbags too but not the leveling system, I believe mine are aftermarket as the air fittings are mounted to the trailer hitch.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 PM

Garage

1. Wheel spacers are only needed if you want to keep the factory wheels. Otherwise, replacing the wheels with those with a different width/offset is also acceptable.

2. No, you do not install a longer shock. The Bilstein 5100 models have multiple grooves in the body to position a snap-ring that allows the lower spring seat to be positioned higher on the shock. This provides lift. I don't think the shock is longer, though, so the amount of down-travel vs stock height is reduced.

3. On Sequoia models equipped with the factory-included AHC system, the rear air bags ARE the springs. They aren't helper springs like aftermarket products like those from AirLiftCompany.com. There are no traditional load-bearing coil springs in the rear. For this reason, if you no longer want the AHC air bags, you need to install traditional coil springs and disable the AHC (or modify it to work with aftermarket helper air springs).
smilnbill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; 2.5" Toytec/Bilstein coilover lift; rear AHC adjusted to match; diff drop; EMPI Bates Porsche930 Inner CV Boots (Kartek.com); SPC UCA's; Nitro 4.88 gears; rear ARB locker; 285/70R17 BFG AT-KO2; SpeedoDRD calibrator; Spidertrax 1.25" spacers; SAIP Bypass module; Rancho RS999208 shocks; Bajarack Megamule; Stubbs HD-SKO sliders; ORFab cat theft shield; GTRlighting LED head and foglight bulbs; Rigid SR-30 & SR-Q; Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX; Scan-Gauge II; Tekonsha Primus IQ
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 AM
Rookie

Got it, makes sense now. So not that there are a lot of options out there but what is everyone's preference for a lift kit?

Toytec

Old Man EMU

Pieced together

What are the pros and cons of each?
smilnbill likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey XPLORx4,

Man...your Sequoia looks fantastic. Exactly the desired height I'd like to have mine at. Thanks so much for the info as well. So..basically my air suspension won't be functional any more if I do these steps, correct? It's not a huge deal...one, I've never had any truck with the air suspension and two, I'm not going to be towing a whole lot for very long periods of time either.

I guess I do have 2 more questions for you though...How much has this thrown your gas mileage off? I've been getting @ 15 mpg where we live and don't want to go much less. This is also the family ride for road trips and my other car is a Prius...lol
And lastly.. how much is it ball park with the parts and labor? Over or under $1000?

I'm on the fence if I want to go through with it and do the lift or just slap a bit beefier @ 31" tires on there. I've got the Nitto Ridge Grappler picked out on the Fuel Trophy gray rims. Let me know what you think...
Thanks so much again XPLORx4. You and your truck rock!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage

If you adjust the AHC sensor, you still have the height adjustment feature. I still have to use the low setting to fit in my garage. If you replace the rear airbags with coil springs, then you do lose that feature. Adjusting the rear sensor is simple if you have a basic metric wrench kit. For front lift pricing, you have several options. I installed new coil overs which were pricey, but easy to install. You can get less expensive Bilstein replacement shocks but keep the springs, but the installation is more involved, requiring a spring compressor.

To fit larger tires, you'll need to know the correct backspacing on the wheels you want.

For reference, my front lift cost about $800 and the rear was free, although a couple of months prior, I had replaced the air bags because they were leaking. (That has nothing to do with the lift, though.) I did all labor myself, so I don't know what a shop would charge.

Check your front lift options here.
https://bilsteinlifts.com/product-ca...toyota-tundra/

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Garage

Oh, btw, I am not sure how much my fuel economy was affected, since I added sliders and a roof rack around the same time as the lift. I did install a speedometer recalibrator to restore speedo accuracy. Click the red link in my signature for more info.
smilnbill likes this.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Rookie

I would avoid the top notch if you end up getting the 5100s. I even have camburg upper UCAs and the lack of droop in the sequoia suspension results in driving around in the very upper stroke of the struts travel with what felt to me was a very stiff over extended suspension. Fourth notch was much better but still not ideal. The rear suspension with FJ cruiser and ome 862 springs is awesome; rides awesome and also holds a load really well when needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:39 PM

I used a 4" piece of steel to relocate the sensor control a little further back which allowed the air suspension to fill a little more vs. the stock location..

2006 Sequoia Limited 4wd.....Black

ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Mobil1 Oils, PureOne PL20195 Oil Filter, Stebel 300hz Horn, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos Diff Drop, Sway Bar Drop Kit, HD Sway Bar End Links, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, King Coilovers, Energy Suspension Steering Rack & Sway bar bushing kits, 35x12.50x17 Toyo RT's, Goodridge 6 Piece SS Brakeline Kit, Brute Force Fab Bumper, Smittybuilt 12K Winch, Stubbs HD/SKO Sliders (Still need to have installed.)..more to come...

Last edited by Padron; 09-06-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Supporter

Garage

Can't say enough good things about Dave and the guys at ToyTec. Get the Boss 3" lift with differential drop, Spidertrax spacers, and you can easily clear 285/70R17s on stock wheels.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Lurking Member

Is the diff drop necessary?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM

Garage

Necessary? Probably not. Recommended? Sure.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Rookie

Hi XPLORx4, where did you source your replacement air bags from, and for what price? I've found Unity Automotive 15-516500 bags but they appear to be out of stock everywhere I've found them being sold? Trying to decide whether to keep the AHC or do the coil spring swap.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage

I bought the bags from my local Toyota dealer, since I was in a rush to get them installed. They were much more expensive than if I would have ordered them online. Try toyotapartsdeal.com or olathetoyota.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page