4.7 Timing belt replacement cost - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

4.7 Timing belt replacement cost

What is the average price for a timing belt , water pump tensioner and idler pulley replacement cost. I have called 2 dealers both are quoting me $1100.00. ANYONE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Re: 4.7 Timing belt replacement cost

That's right in the range I was quoted from 2 dealers. Trusted mechanic was $700.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Lurking Member

Garage

I bought all my parts before hand from Rock Auto, which had saved me a couple hundred on parts the dealership quoted. I think I paid around $600-800 for the labor at the dealership.

2007 SR5 4WD |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Rookie

when should they be replaced
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemco67 View Post
when should they be replaced
Its recommended you change them out between 80K-100K miles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM

90k or 9 years by the maintenance manual.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 AM
Rookie

just had my timing belt / water pump replaced on 05 Tundra. Went in for leaking caliper and the guy advised on the timing belt. Said it was recommended at 90k. My usual thinking is the stealership was just fishing for more work. But after coming back home and doing research here on timing belts, I went ahead and had it done.
I did NOT know about the interference engine and potential disaster. $800 preventative way better than 5-6k rebuilding/replacing a trashed motor.
Feb 2005 truck, 119k miles, so I was well past the 90k/108 months.

Total was $2460 for calipers/pads/rotors on front brakes, timing belt/walter pump (said no tensioner needed), replaced parking brake brackets, oil change and differential.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Supporter

Garage

Parts for the timing belt on amazon, aisin kit, is about $200. Dealerships will quote the standard rate of about 8 hours to do the timing belt. Even if it only takes them 4-5 hours. You can have a private shop that you trust do it and save cost or do it yourself. It's a lot of parts and does require a special tool or two.

~Mike
SAC'ed 2000 V8 tundra - http://dyogim.blogspot.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Rookie

I know it's probably an older post, but I replaced my timing belt at almost 120,000 miles. The owner's manual recommends that it's changed at 100,000 miles. I would recommend, as well, to change the water pump, as well as the tensioner. Mine cost around $1000, or so, at the dealership.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3882 View Post
What is the average price for a timing belt , water pump tensioner and idler pulley replacement cost. I have called 2 dealers both are quoting me $1100.00. ANYONE?
Hey Andy, $1100 for the belt, pump, tensioner and pulley is reasonable--a lot of cash, but you don't want to take a chance on a broken timing belt. Once everything is apart it only makes sense to replace all of the items you've listed.

I did mine myself last month (at 17 years and 127k miles) and I was surprised at how good the old belt looked. New parts cost me about $325, plus a couple gallons of Toyota antifreeze, plus a hundred for misc. tools. I took my time, spent a day on disassembly and a day putting it back together. Hardest part was taking off the crank bolt--and then putting it back on with 181ft-lb of torque! Toyota has specialized tools for that... I built a jig out of plywood that I bolted to the crank to hold it while I wrenched.

If you decide to DIY you can PM me for advice (and remember that the left cam is on the driver's side, even when you are standing in front of the motor!)

Good luck!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Just had mine done a couple months ago for just a little over $1000. Sounds like you're in the ballpark. I called around and then went to a guy I trust. He used Toyota OEM parts because he didn't want to take a chance on aftermarket quality. BTW, mine was at about 173k miles, so this is the second timing belt job it's had.

Rob Brewer
2007 Sequoia Limited
Pretty stock. Running 265/70R17 Wrangler All Terrain tires (found that running this size made my speedometer more accurate)
To do: install my amateur radio and antenna.
Under consideration: mild suspension lift and selectable lockers
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Rookie

My sonís friend was given a 2004 Tundra by his grandfather. It was well maintained with regular oil changes and had a timing belt replacement at about 120,000 miles. The truck now has 225,000 miles and needed the timing belt changed again. The kid is a new driver so I agreed to help him out.

I am a competent mechanic but most of my experience is on American Iron, but I found a lot of very helpful step by step videos on You Tube that laid the process out very clearly. Like others, I bought all the OEM parts on Amazon, including the 60 dollar tool to hold the crank in place while torquing the crank bolt.

I believe we spent 400 to 450 bucks on parts which included new antifreeze, oil and oil filter, air filter, and other small odds and ends.

From start to finish it was a 9-10 hour job for us, but we spent time watching sections of the You Tube videos especially while lining up the marks on the timing belt and cam pulleys. If I did the same job again, I am sure I could shave off a couple of hours.

Based our our experience, 1100 bucks at the dealer seems about right. As others mentioned, a small shop may be able to do it for a bit less. I am not sure of your mechanical abilities, but it is not a difficult job. If you take your time and pay attention, it can be accomplished in a home garage.

Last edited by Used2BGMC; 05-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page