Sequoia undercarriage Rust - Page 14 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Re: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144hart View Post
Don't go to Boch. Have heard several several negative things about the,, from people that briefly worked there mostly.
Come up to NH and we'll get it done right lol
Actually, to get the job done right and to not get ripped off, I would almost consider going out of state, although the trip home in the just re-framed truck might be dicey ha ha. Would be a good test drive though..

I have a few dealers in my area. I may stop by and talk to each of them.

Thanks much for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Lurking Member

I received my notification in the mail last week and was surprised to see that they had expanded the number of states. Ever since reading about the issue I have been proactive in sanding the rust off the frame and sealing with Eastwood's rust encapsulator. Of course I cannot get to the rust inside the frame or on the top but there does not appear to be any holes in the frame and the spare tire carrier does not appear to have any issues. That said, should I take the truck to the dealer for inspection? Are there any advantages when I go to sell it?

Rangermutt
post #198 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermutt View Post
I received my notification in the mail last week and was surprised to see that they had expanded the number of states. Ever since reading about the issue I have been proactive in sanding the rust off the frame and sealing with Eastwood's rust encapsulator. Of course I cannot get to the rust inside the frame or on the top but there does not appear to be any holes in the frame and the spare tire carrier does not appear to have any issues. That said, should I take the truck to the dealer for inspection? Are there any advantages when I go to sell it?
Good question, I was hoping mine was fine, low miles on it etc. I used to work on other equipment and I know that a major tear down can have complications.

That said, there are dealers that have done a ton of them and seem good at it. The frame kit is free and you get a free rental car. I think any parts damaged in the removal are covered.

I opened a case with Toyota yesterday, waiting on my call back from them for details.

There are dealers trying to add extra profit on this thing and there are some doing it honestly.

I'd have it inspected, if you need a frame and you want to keep the truck, not much choice I guess.

I decided not to use the first dealer I visited, I have a few near me and I have a friend of a friend who is a junior tech at a closer dealer and I got to talk to him yesterday. His shop has one guy who has done a bunch of them. I will visit that dealer after the Toyota rep calls me.

Here is a long thread with some good info, people getting it done free or close to it and others getting the shaft, if you wade through it:
Toyota Launches Tundra Frame Replacement Program | Tundra Headquarters Blog

post #199 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Rookie

I had my frame replaced a month ago if not longer. It took three days to get it done. I did visit the last day to see the truck apart. I asked if there was anything they think I should replace while it was apart and cheeper to do now then later. The timing belt and I think they said the oil pump(back of engine) was suggested. I will not need to do the belt for another 30,000. Two weeks after the job was done the steering pump started to whine. When they reattached the old steering rack into the new frame they broke off the rust but I guess they didn't tell me that it needed to be replaced. I was lucky a drug store had transmission fluid for sale and top it off for the drive home. That is when I noticed the oil droppings in the drive way. Needless to say it was a week long debate and to get them to accept partial responsibility for it. It was a 1,300.+ job with tax. Toyota Corporation chipped in $400 and the dealership chipped in $300. Basically I had to pay for the Rack and Pinion assembly. I was polite and firm to the service department and to the Toyota rep and got enough to get the labor paid for. Otherwise the truck rides smother then when I brought it used. They replaced the lower control arms and all the body bushing that attach it to the frame. I am happy with the new feel to the ride. I guess it might be time to do the shocks as well. I have 180,000 on the 2004 Sequoia.
post #200 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Rookie

I only have about 74,000 miles on my 2003.

Found a dealership I'm comfortable with. Compared with the first one that gave me the willies, this one was very upfront with me. The service manager seems like a nice guy. He gave me a lot of his time and I got to meet the mechanic who took a look at it and said it should go smooth.

Turns out I have a friend of a friend who is a jr tech there.

I'm surprised that the previous poster got his back in 3 days. I was expecting a multi week deal. I opened a case with Toyota and they said that any parts that are damaged when they remove the frame will be my responsibility.

Will report back when it's done. Waiting for the frame to arrive.
post #201 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM

I bought my 02' with 165k miles this past April.........right before I bough it, it had the inspection done, it passed and had the frame sprayed.
I just checked out my spare last week to see if it worked and how it looked underneath.........looks like they replaced the cable crank and carrier.
Everything else looks pretty good. You can see some of the spray stuff flaking off, but most of it is intact. I have been touching up spots with rust converter stuff and a paint brush myself.
I put these pictures up in another thread and figured I would share here as well:

02' SR5
post #202 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Rookie

Pete, do you have any pictures of the holes in your frame, or can you tell me the location of the holes? About 3 years ago I bought a 2003 that spent it's first 7-8 years just outside of Boston where this rust issue first became apparent. The inside of my frame is flaking/delaminating badly, but no holes yet that I've seen. I'm going to purchase a borescope to examine more thoroughly. What's aggravating to me about this recall is that the frames must fail by 6/2014 to be replaced, mine is on it's way to swiss cheese, but they've allowed 2001 models 13 years of coverage, and 2003 models only 11. My skid plate has already rusted through, and I've found flakes 2x the thickness of a quarter sitting on the floor of my frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcpete1 View Post

Found a dealership I'm comfortable with. Compared with the first one that gave me the willies, this one was very upfront with me. The service manager seems like a nice guy. He gave me a lot of his time and I got to meet the mechanic who took a look at it and said it should go smooth.

I'm surprised that the previous poster got his back in 3 days. I was expecting a multi week deal. I opened a case with Toyota and they said that any parts that are damaged when they remove the frame will be my responsibility.

post #203 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 AM
Rookie

Go down the rails with a screw driver and scrape the flake. Bang on the heavy flake areas to see if its weak... mine rusted through at the rear contril arm mounts, top of the shock towers frn and rear, base of the frn shock towers, and mant flat spots on the top rail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1383136476877.jpg (120.3 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg 1383136499544.jpg (57.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 1383136517620.jpg (89.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 1383136539608.jpg (77.2 KB, 351 views)
post #204 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 AM

This thread should be "stickied" at the top of this section of the forum. Seems that more and more threads are popping up on the same topic.
post #205 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcpete1 View Post

Good news. Just got my truck back. Entire frame replaced at no charge whatsoever. They actually even replaced my boots for free. The first dealership I visited seemed shady and left me not wanting to let them do it.

The second dealership was excellent. I recommend Lakewood Toyota World of Lakewood in Lakewood, NJ. I can't begin to describe how open and honest these guys were. The service manager is William West (Bill). What a nice guy, he went over the entire deal, gave me lots of time, introduced me to the mechanic etc. Free loaner for the duration.

I am very pleased with the service. The truck feels great. He told me to feel free to return with any issues. Glad this is done. Good luck to everyone else in this boat.
post #206 of 259 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Rookie

I just took my 2002 Sequoia Limited, 145K miles in to have the frame replaced. Holman Toyota in Mt. Laurel. They did come out with a list of items that they suggested need replacing. (Shocks, links, etc.) They have been cooperative with having Toyota cover most of the cost to replace the items. The car rental is great (new RAV4) and I was told the folks there are familiar with doing this work having done many - there are only a few qualified to do the work. They also told me that any parts broken in the rebuild will be replace at no charge. However, I am very nervous of items that will creep up in the next few months that may be a result of this change over, but I really had no choice. I will keep you posted on my progress, they told me they will call me when the frame comes in and keep me posted on the progress. (2 to 3 weeks). My fingers are crossed. Good luck to everyone in the same boat.
post #207 of 259 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Rookie

I took mine to the first Toyota dealer and was told that the amount of rust is acceptable? I then called Toyota and was told to take it to another dealer and again was told the amount of rust is acceptable although I see plenty of rust all over the underside. My Sequoia is a 2002 that spent the first 8 years in New York and the last 4 in Texas - Any suggestions or steps I should take? Thanks very much
post #208 of 259 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSamm View Post
I just took my 2002 Sequoia Limited, 145K miles in to have the frame replaced. Holman Toyota in Mt. Laurel. They did come out with a list of items that they suggested need replacing. (Shocks, links, etc.) They have been cooperative with having Toyota cover most of the cost to replace the items. The car rental is great (new RAV4) and I was told the folks there are familiar with doing this work having done many - there are only a few qualified to do the work. They also told me that any parts broken in the rebuild will be replace at no charge. However, I am very nervous of items that will creep up in the next few months that may be a result of this change over, but I really had no choice. I will keep you posted on my progress, they told me they will call me when the frame comes in and keep me posted on the progress. (2 to 3 weeks). My fingers are crossed. Good luck to everyone in the same boat.
I should have driven mine to New Jersey. Bobby Rahal Toyota broke the exhaust on mine and then charged me almost $400 to weld it. They claimed it was rusty, but I got under and looked and it sure doesn't look that rusty. My guess is they connected the front of it and then accidentally dropped the back end and cracked it on both sides in front of the cats. Definitely won't ever be taking it to them to work on anymore.
post #209 of 259 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Just curious after reading these post on some of the other year model 1st Gens: anyone know what Toyota did differently (if anything) on older year models (I have and 07 1st Gen). While I'm not on a recall, is my frame exposed to the same defect or did Toyota correct this in later models?

Thanks,
Thriller
post #210 of 259 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSamm View Post
Update:
Got a call from dealer yesterday stating the frame is in. (10 days from order date) They told me it will take 40 hours to complete. I will keep you updated on the progress / issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page