Aftermarket LCAs....do yours have better adjustment range than my Mevotechs? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By wrenchMONKEY_
  • 1 Post By Localsnap1988
  • 1 Post By TheGryme

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Contributor

Aftermarket LCAs....do yours have better adjustment range than my Mevotechs?

Bought my Mevotech LCAs 3 years back under their 5 year warranty, but it appears I should be more careful as they won't allow for positive or zero camber. I'm thinking a replacement from them would probably be just as bad, so I'm not sure if I should buy something like Moog instead or spend the money for new OEM LCAs.

If anyone is using Moog, please let me know if the eccentrics on your CAM hardware isn't all the way out to the max like the left side on mine with either positive or zero camber. Right side isn't that great either.

Thanks!

Front:

Left front outer:

Right front outer:

Left rear outer:

Right rear outer:

Left front inner:

Right front inner:

Left rear inner:

Right rear inner:

Printout after alignment:

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 08:31 PM

Re: Aftermarket LCAs....do yours have better adjustment range than my Mevotechs?

Meant to post here earlier and I'll post more later.

I tried to replace my OEM's (frozen bolts) with MOOGs. After RockAuto sent me two rights, twice, I ended up going with Mevotechs. I don't have any alignment numbers from my OEM's and wish I did, but even after I put them in, I could never get them near DJ's specs. I also just put in some SPC Cam/Caster bolts and, still, 3.5 of caster and 0.00 to -0.20 was the best camber I could get.

Anyways, after wondering why my alignment numbers are so tough to get dialed in, I am thinking it must be the LCA's.

I'll post more later. Gonna take it back to the shop and tweak with it.
jack mccarthy likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Contributor

Re: Aftermarket LCAs....do yours have better adjustment range than my Mevotechs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchMONKEY_ View Post
Meant to post here earlier and I'll post more later.

I tried to replace my OEM's (frozen bolts) with MOOGs. After RockAuto sent me two rights, twice, I ended up going with Mevotechs. I don't have any alignment numbers from my OEM's and wish I did, but even after I put them in, I could never get them near DJ's specs. I also just put in some SPC Cam/Caster bolts and, still, 3.5 of caster and 0.00 to -0.20 was the best camber I could get.

Anyways, after wondering why my alignment numbers are so tough to get dialed in, I am thinking it must be the LCA's.

I'll post more later. Gonna take it back to the shop and tweak with it.
Thanks, at least your camber numbers are much better than mine. I'll have to call Mevotech to see if mine are defective (too long). Spring sag is minimal and even having the tech push up the stock front end didn't help much to up the camber on mine. I know my originals had zero or slightly positive camber before replacement.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Less than 3 years and 20,000KM later all 4 bushings on my LCA are completely torn. Not cracked, torn and split. That would explain my alignment issues. Lets see how the Mevotech warranty is.

I didn't install them, and I bet the tech who did tightened them up on the rack with no weight on the suspension, at full droop instead of tightening them when the vehicle is level with normal weight on the frot end. That would explain why now they are completely torn
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Rookie

So heres to Jack and Monkey... and everyone really who may consider aftermarket LCA replacements such as Mevotechs...

WrenchMonkey, that definately is possible but it may not necessarily be the tech's fault or due to him torquing the LCA bolts at the incorrect time. I had a set of Mevotechs installed around 2012 , not long after i had bought my 2004 4x4 AccessCab, to replace my OEM Toyota LCAs (which i thought the bushings were cracking from being an 8-9 year old truck and also after doing a 4th notch 5100 lift ). However, within 6 months , I noticed the Mevotech bushings were cracking and almost as bad or worseeee than the OEMs had been !) I was convinced it could only be due to the shop that I don't know too well tightening the LCA bolts while the truck was in the air instead of on the ground. So, in 2013, when I added OME 885x springs onto my front 5100s and set on the second from bottom notch, I bought ANOTHER set of Mevotechs from Rockauto and installed them at this same time, doing all the work alongside my good mechanic friend and witnessing the bolts being tightened with suspension settled while on the ground. After alignment and driving literally two or three months or less, I checked and the Mevotech bushings were already getting trashed!! Conclusion... the Mevotechs use garbage bushings ( and have very bad rust resistance to boot!) - and/or they simply cannot handle any extra stress induced from a mild suspension lift on our trucks. ( My lift is around 2- 2.5+inches) I am now about to do some front end work ( Install new 5100s, replace a cv axle, service my Camburg UCA Uniballs, etc) and I am at a loss... I dont and cant see myself installing an aftermarket LCA like Mevotech again knowing it WILL NOT LAST, but spending at least twice as much for OEM Toyota LCAs is very hard to swallow at around $220 EACH before shipping from Sunnysidepartsbarn (which has the best prices on the OEM Toyotas that i have found)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Interesting info. Thanks.

Going to be warrantying my Mevotechs out and will be going with new MOOG LCA's.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Leader of Group Evil

Burn or cut out the original bushings, install new poly bushings and sleeves from Energy Suspension, and new alignment cams. Grease everything. Maybe rattlecan the arms while you're at it. Call it a day and congratulate yourself on avoiding spending money on garbage parts. Toyota of Dallas also has good prices on factory parts, I'll have a look at sunnysidepartsbarn, thanks for the link.

Moog can just take themselves entirely out to the dumpster. I've seen more Moog lower ball joint failures than I want to think about. Most of these OEM parts are lasting 100k miles or more, it just doesn't make sense to me to use cheap **** which is either going to ruin the truck when some lowbuck part lets loose, or will need replacement in a fraction of the time the OEM lasted.

1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vs.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven View Post
Burn or cut out the original bushings, install new poly bushings and sleeves from Energy Suspension, and new alignment cams. Grease everything. Maybe rattlecan the arms while you're at it. Call it a day and congratulate yourself on avoiding spending money on garbage parts. Toyota of Dallas also has good prices on factory parts, I'll have a look at sunnysidepartsbarn, thanks for the link.

Moog can just take themselves entirely out to the dumpster. I've seen more Moog lower ball joint failures than I want to think about. Most of these OEM parts are lasting 100k miles or more, it just doesn't make sense to me to use cheap **** which is either going to ruin the truck when some lowbuck part lets loose, or will need replacement in a fraction of the time the OEM lasted.

New bushings in what appears to be defective LCAs isn't going to help unless I can confirm with Mevotech that they are out of specification in length causing the negative camber. Now if they confirm and I can get a replacement that is IN specification and allows me to adjust and get positive camber, I may take up your recommendation and upgrade the bushings. Either that or find used OEM LCAs or aftermarket Moog if theirs are the right size to avoid paying for new ones. The CAM hardware is relatively new and I've got new OEM ball joints anyway.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Supportive Supporter

At about 285K miles, I replaced my stock LCAs with Mevotechs....all new Toyota cams, adjusters etc.
The truck now has all of 300K on it and the LCA bushings are SHOT!!!!!!
Apparently the Mevojunks use some kind of Chinese trash bushings......!
This sucks!
I've priced new Toyota LCA bushings at about 60 bucks each and lower ball joints at over 100 bucks each.
Crap!
I too am running the 5100 on the highest setting and the TC UCAs.
So I'm thinking of also replacing the springs.
What an expensive PITA!!!!!
According to DJ, to get the longest service life out our trucks front ends, we should keep them at the stock height.
This keeps these components (LCA bushings and lower ball joints) operating in the same "plane".
There is a lot less stress on them compared to when the LCA (ball joint end) is running below the LCA bushings (as in lifted).
But I want mine lifted a bit!
O well.....what's that old saying?
If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!

TheGryme
Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
'04 Tundra DC
Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
'12 Camry SE
Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged, Magnaflowed, Air Box Mods....Stock, mostly......For Now!
'92 4Runner
Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
'04 YZ250F
Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
'87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:19 PM

I too feel my Mevotechs were out of spec or longer. They never aligned properly.

Energy does not list a 2000-2006 Tundra control arm bushing replacement, but I can find a Daystar one that does not get very good reviews on Amazon.

I'd swap the bushings out, but that would void my warranty completely with Mevotech. I'd rather replace them with MOOG, hope to get something in spec and go from there. If the truck aligns properly, then great, I'll rock the MOOG LCA until the bushings go and at that point I'll replace them if needed (burn em out and press new ones in)

I've got the SPC Cam bolts that I just put in recently and should have some alignment numbers after I get the MOOG's installed and aligned early/late next week. I'll check my LBJ play also while I am in there and maybe pull some numbers for the anti-MOOG crowd. I currently have 25,000KM on my MOOG LBJ.

As for the LBJ failures, the majority that I have seen have been from the 4 install bolts working them selves loose or falling out and then the torque being put onto 2 or 3 bolts was resulting in them being sheared off. 65 ft lbs and blue lock tight is needed on any LBJ, be it MOOG or OEM Toyota.

Last edited by wrenchMONKEY_; 01-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Supportive Supporter

I'll have to look into the Daystar bushings. Either those or Toyota.
I'm thinking I'll replace the lower bushings, hopefully all my fairly new Toyota bolts spacers cams, etc. are still good.
New lower ball joints...same thing, probably Toyota.
And maybe new front springs.....I'm going to look at the OME units mentioned above.
I wish someone made a cool LCAs...like the TC or Camburg, but they are all long travel and I really don't need that.
And I hope the new bushings I buy fit the damn Mevocraps.
Someone on the site mentioned they had a 5 year warranty....I'll have too look into that too!

TheGryme
Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
'04 Tundra DC
Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
'12 Camry SE
Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged, Magnaflowed, Air Box Mods....Stock, mostly......For Now!
'92 4Runner
Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
'04 YZ250F
Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
'87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Leader of Group Evil

I should've been more specific...replace bushings on factory arms, not aftermarket arms.

The FB 1gen group has seen far too many Moog lower ball joint failures where the ball has broken out of the socket.

-
vs.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
I should've been more specific...replace bushings on factory arms, not aftermarket arms.

The FB 1gen group has seen far too many Moog lower ball joint failures where the ball has broken out of the socket.
LCA bushing replacement on the factory arms is a huge pain in the ass. There is no easy way to push them out. Factory service manual has you cut off the flange and then push them to the inside. Also need a decent size press to push them in. I replaced mine with Moog bushings, they at least had a nice pilot to get them started.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Leader of Group Evil

That's good to know, just passed an old set of arms to a buddy so he can do exactly this job, and a neighbor with a 4Runner is about to do the same. We're all waiting to see how the first set goes, to see how bad the 4Runner will be...second guy doesn't have a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarsRFun View Post
LCA bushing replacement on the factory arms is a huge pain in the ass. There is no easy way to push them out. Factory service manual has you cut off the flange and then push them to the inside. Also need a decent size press to push them in. I replaced mine with Moog bushings, they at least had a nice pilot to get them started.

-
vs.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Lurking Member

Quote:
That's good to know, just passed an old set of arms to a buddy so he can do exactly this job, and a neighbor with a 4Runner is about to do the same. We're all waiting to see how the first set goes, to see how bad the 4Runner will be...second guy doesn't have a DD.

Yeah it took me 2 hours each side just to get the bushings replaced. Had to chisel the flange out around the whole bushing, as per service manual. then cut that end of the bushing off with a hacksaw and finally push them out to the inside with my 10-ton press. had i known it was going to be that big of a problem i would have bought aftermarket control arms with bushings preinstalled. My truck has 250k on it, replaced the entire front suspension. every single bushing was shot, but it was expected. parts only need to last until the warranty is up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page