4Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGryme
  • 1 Post By arseum
  • 1 Post By cjorg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

What is this noise?? (Video)

What is this noise?
Just replaced: struts, sway bar bushings, HD endlinks, rotors, pads, steering rack, outer tie-rods, and cv axles.

The only things not replaced were the upper and lower control arms and bushings, lower ball joints, brake dust shields and calipers.

On top of this, I still get a clunk when I brake hard to a stop and then take my foot off the pedal and when the truck flexes even a little I get popping noises from the front end. To top it off, the semi new tailpipe rotted off the day after I got the truck back. I will never own another Toyota after this. As soon as it's paid off it's gone.

2000 AC SR5 4x4 V8

https://youtu.be/qjUQXnlNZpM

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Also added Spidertrax spacers and Deegan 38 285/75/16 tires and replaced upper ball joints.

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Supportive Supporter

Re: What is this noise?? (Video)

Try greasing the drive shaft, especially the center and the rear yoke. The rear yoke can really make a lot of noise moving back and forth! It'll take a lot of grease.
arseum and erriiiic like this.

TheGryme
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
'04 Tundra DC
Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
'12 Camry SE
Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged, Magnaflowed, Air Box Mods....Stock, mostly......For Now!
'92 4Runner
Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
'04 YZ250F
Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
'87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Supporter

Subscribed, and I am going to try TheGryme's recommendations; thanks!

I have similar sounds, but I am currently leaning to blaming it on the polyurethane LCA bushings. My other variables are using Moog LCA ball joints in lieu of OEM. Wish I had used OEM. I have Total Chaos UCAs but with their Delrin bushings, and also TC stiffening gussets at the spindle and coil bucket. And I still need to install Solo Motorsport's custom steering rack bushings, onto their custom rebuilt steering rack that is already installed, that are Delrin except for the main "D" bushing.

I have seen a few post were the driver was certain the sound was coming from the front, but they resolved it with installing new OEM pads (thin shims) on the rear leaf springs.

How many miles are on your Tundra? Not sure how you handled the exhaust issue, but if you are looking into an upgrade, check out Keith's BAM mufflers / exhausts at Dirty Deeds.
erriiiic likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I think some of the noises (and maybe even the clunk) might be coming from the UCA and LCA needing new bushings as well as my rear leaf springs. This thing is turning into a huge money pit *cries*

I'll have to look into greasing the drive shaft but I don't know what I'm doing. I just got a new carrier bearing and rear u-joint. I just don't get how this thing still makes so much noise, even when hitting little bumps. The front 5100's are way too stiff. They should have extended the lower portion of the strut an inch instead of compressing the spring up top. Also, the steering isn't as smooth as I thought. It's tight, but maybe the big tires make it so it feels sloppy.

I'm out of money for a while but I was thinking of just pulling off the tailpipe and using a wire coat hanger to hold the exhaust up since 1 hanger rusted off and the other is on it's way out. Then when the time comes I think I'll get a Flowmaster Series 10.

Edit: 275,000 miles on the truck

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Supporter

IMHO, Your truck sounds like it is in pretty good shape for that amount of mileage!

I have half that mileage, and we are both experiencing similar symptoms
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseum View Post
IMHO, Your truck sounds like it is in pretty good shape for that amount of mileage!

I have half that mileage, and we are both experiencing similar symptoms
That's not good! Overall it's in pretty good shape. My only complaints with it at this point are the intermittent tranny slip, the vibration when accelerating from a stop (so I can't romp on the gas), a clunk when brake hard to a stop and take my foot off the brake, and in the winter it takes 45 to an hour to warm up...if it even does.

Oh...and the rusted out frame that Toyota put a "quick fix" on to cover what was really going on.

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erriiiic View Post
That's not good! Overall it's in pretty good shape. My only complaints with it at this point are the intermittent tranny slip, the vibration when accelerating from a stop (so I can't romp on the gas), a clunk when brake hard to a stop and take my foot off the brake, and in the winter it takes 45 to an hour to warm up...if it even does.

Oh...and the rusted out frame that Toyota put a "quick fix" on to cover what was really going on.
Looking like you're going to need a tranny swap.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Supporter

Has the transmission fluid been flushed and refilled recently?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 AM
Rookie

Check the rear transmission mount bolts, were it bolts to the crossmember. I had the clunk after stopping, It felt like a brake popping or the transmission banging into gear. Turned out to be the bolts on the mount, 2 bolts were missing and 2 were finger tight. 5 minute fix. I'm shocked at how quiet the truck is now from this fix.
erriiiic likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Crazy! CJorg... I had the same popping noise in my 2007 Sequoia and it was driving me nuts. Changed out struts upper and lower ball joint‘s and still Poppin. Ended up being all four screws for the transmission mount were missing on mine! Anyhow, Like you said five minute fix and the pop is gone and truck feels great now due to the front end work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page