Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2000 Toyota Tundra sr5 towing!?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SoCalPaul 
#1 ·
I have a question here I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra with 33s and a body lift I was towing my Polaris rzr800 and a 18foot flat bed trailer this evening and it just seems like when it is in overdrive it just kills it and I know for a fact it should pull that fine without it being out of overdrive I’m just curious!! Is there a gear or anything I could install to help it a little!?

#2 ·
That’s way over what you should tow in overdrive. The earlier transmissions in these trucks had an issue with overdrive specifically. The later years that got the 5spd were more stout in the OD department. You can find info on it online, I’ve read several threads about the dangers of pulling weight in OD on these early transmissions. Having 33” tires makes it even worse too. I too have 33” equivalents. It’s not worth it to leave OD on anyway, it hunts gears too much. If you turn OD off towing that much it’ll be easier on the truck anyway, while requiring less throttle input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I understand that haha. But it’ll be fine. They’re tough motors as long as you keep them up. Also remember, you having 33s on it, unless you’ve somehow corrected it, when your speedo says 70 you’re doing closer to 75 lol.

I would highly recommend not running OD when towing that much but if you really want to it may be good to look into dropping what’s in the tranny pan and putting a gallon back in. May help. Mine had all kinds of issues when I got it, not even towing. Couldn’t use cruise on hills, it would wait too long to shift out of OD, so it would grab 2nd on the highway and was really screaming. One drop and fill later and the issue was 85% corrected. Another drop and fill 1 oil change later and it was perfect. Now I do a drop and fill every 2-3 oil changes and mine shifts great. Another thing to think about, turning OD off not only locks out OD, but also locks the torque converter. Towing with the torque converter unlocked is also harmful. On top of all of that, the fluid will get hotter and all kinds of nasty stuff lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
My 2001 Owner’s Manual said no towing in OD, although I towed light loads (dual Polaris watercraft) on flat roads in OD. On Hills, I’d take it out of OD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.