Gettiing Up in Miles - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Question Getting Up in Miles

Have cracked over 150,000 miles. Truck looks new and seems to run good. Had the belt done back at 101,000.

What other things start giving you trouble around 150K...? Does seem to idle rougher than before...anything else?
Love the truck, don't want to let it go!!
Jonesy likes this.

Last edited by flyingriki; 03-25-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Major Contributor

Garage
Re: Gettiing Up in Miles

My brother's rig just rolled over 225K miles and runs like a champ. Keep up with your routine maintenance and you should be good to go.
His compadre's a Vice President of a local Toyota dealership and wants to sell my brother a new truck every time they meet.
My brother's happy with his 1Gen Tundra ~ it does everything he needs.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM

190k on my 01. Itís been a great truck. Did start idling a little rougher around 150k. Changed plugs at 180k hoping it would fix it. Itís not as rough now, but it didnít fix it. No big deal though. Still runs and idles smoother than both my old dodges and a 2015 Chevy Colorado I drive for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyingriki likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:31 PM
Lurking Member

My 2003 is right around 140,000. Did the full timing belt. water pump (it was leaking) just last spring @ about 130.000 miles.

I have quite a bit of rust (no frame perfs when they did the recall inspection--just got the spray), but any bolt or attachment on the underside is eaten away. I did the fuel filter a couple of years ago while trouble-shooting rough running/lack of oomph, and gave up trying to get the filter bracket out--I just reused the old one--bolt heads no longer existed, and it is in a very awkward spot to get anything in there to help break it out.

As part of the same trouble shooting I replaced the MAF (procedure is in thread I posted)--and both O2 sensors went @ 100,000 (V6). Did a drain and fill on the A/T @ 90,000 or so, will do another this spring. Regular oil changes, too. Normal maintenance, really.

Got a little looseness in the front end--probably due for struts, possible tie rod ends and/or???

Generally though it has been a wonderful truck.

I spotted this for sale--identical to mine with only 30,000 miles on it--and thought about starting over!
Attached Images
File Type: png tundra.png (705.0 KB, 28 views)
flyingriki likes this.

Last edited by paredown; 03-23-2019 at 04:12 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 AM
Lurking Member

Give the throttle body a good cleaning, you should notice a difference.
flyingriki likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Lurking Member

I second the suggestion about cleaning the throttle body. IIRC mine was at about 60k miles when it would barely idle at all. Cleaning it has become part of my routine maintenance. Takes about 20 minutes. I'm at 151k on my 01'. Next up will be second timing belt and first water pump.
flyingriki likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

I also had a nasty clunk noise under certain conditions near starting and stopping while turning.

Found an honest shop that surprised me with the fix - one loose tranny mounting bolt, half hour labor!

Love those guys.
Jonesy likes this.

Last edited by flyingriki; 03-25-2019 at 06:51 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

How about wheel bearings? When should these be redone?

Brake fluid drained and replaced?
Anything else????
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Lurking Member

My Tundra just hit 345k... Still runs like a dream with no oil burning between its 5k full syn oil changes. Drive it daily here and wouldn't 2nd guess any road trip in it.
Keep an eye on ball joints if you pull heavy loads I read? I don't pull, Ive only rebuilt front-end once in 345k.
I put in OE timing belt/water pump parts every 100k. Beware after market parts here.
Keep "all" fluids changed & it will treat you very well.
Two yrs ago the rear brake proportion valve acted up making brake pedal soft so I un-bolted rod from rearend & tied up to bed bottom and full brakes again..lol Factory CD player went south was first problem, put in new aftermarket head unit.
Radiator fan clutch once 320k, replaced loud squeaky center support bearing (on drive shaft) 300k new U-joints while there (not needed)... pretty much it but wear items tires/brakes/fan belt.
Pretty much just maintanece here up past 250k when I recharged A/C unit.. Done it twice now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_211454_1553652947467.jpg (1.97 MB, 46 views)
flyingriki and eliotkim like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Lurking Member

Loud clunk is your drive shaft yoke needing grease. Grease the crap out of it too it will stop.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Rookie

Re: Getting Up in Miles

Kind of exciting holding off the timing belt change - know a guy who did that, engine self destructed but he loved it so much he spent $$$ on new motor. I'm in the mid-130,000's with my 2003 V8 - no issues except body work along the way - can't miss hitting everything y'know. Mileage stinks but love burning regular. Garaged, still looks good. Other owners you bump into love theirs too. I wouldn't miss the heavy solid axle moving into one of the sleek modern cars but they're so same-ole same-ole.
Keep on, from So Cal. Tom

Last edited by Tomnet; 03-27-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Lurking Member

My Tundra is a 2005 4.7 AC..btw..
Ya I read on a website about a Land Cruiser that even went past 200k without a TB change because he never knew about it. Towed quite a bit too even, but for me its how long that original Toyota water pump lasted too, that's rather shocking. That is the only reason he changed it out at 200k+ as it was leaking "finally".
Now' simply ignoring a TB is not for me either because I've seen so many engines bite the bullet from belt either stretched past its limit & sliding off or snapped. Even my 4Runners Hyd tensioner was completely seized at its first 100k change so now I'll never skip changing it out every time unlike so many people skip to save a piddly $40. Most engines being "interference" designed generally severe damage occurs instantly when any TB component fails costing thousands all over saving $40, no way!
Just after last Christmas my neighbor sold his car for parts after his timing belt slid off his 2008 Government Motors car.
He said it was the second engine that did it in that car and he just rolled it's first 100k miles. Shop said it was a newer reman engine with 60k miles & he even paid the shop extra cash for new TB kit to be installed before his engine install to avoid same issue again & to not deal with it in another 40k too.
Is it poor design? Well its a GM & two engines within first 100k so?..lol
First time a fluke & were the parts used junk on second..humm?
Understanding these components quality and limits are both extremely important & your always best to know darn good & well who's under your hood for this job as well. A lot of junk China parts around today that mechanics/owners toss in on a whim. Don't ever roll the dice here and why I suggest always using OEM TB/WP parts if you like your Toy because so far I've not seen any TB kit including Gates the kits that are not very short lived compared to OEM Toy parts. Gates belts are fantastic but their water pumps are junk, I saw many fail under a year. It is a very expensive engine to buy here folks like already mention above.

Last edited by 123GO; 03-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
I also had a nasty clunk noise under certain conditions near starting and stopping while turning.

Found an honest shop that surprised me with the fix - one loose tranny mounting bolt, half hour labor!

Love those guys.
I have had the exact same noise (and description) of when it happens as you, for quite a long time. No one that I bring it to, can find the clunk noise.
Do you remember the rough location of your loose mounting bolt?

Last edited by miker71; 03-31-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

No, never saw anything. Sorry....

Had the typical knocking sound they all make after 70-80K miles. Another shop listened to my explanation of all the reasons mentioned in this forum. He laughed and said that was nice. Found the rear suspension had simply loosened up a bit and after full tightening it was gone.

Last edited by flyingriki; 04-02-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Mine just went past 274k miles. Still sounds good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page