• 1 Post By tvpierce
  • 1 Post By gtressler
  • 1 Post By Helterskelter
  • 2 Post By Tailfeathers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 Tundra Frame Rust

I am the original owner of an 05 Tundra with extensive frame rust/perforations. I had the recall sealer done in 2014 and this CRC sealer ruined my frame. My deal er said they couldn't help and Toyota customer service also said they would not help me out. My truck still looks really good and runs great, but I can't even sell it because of the big holes in my frame. I live in Northeast Ohio. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3199.jpg (1.23 MB, 63 views)
sg1efc and 1shamrock like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Re: 2005 Tundra Frame Rust

Following. I have a 2000 with the same issue in Connecticut. The dealer said they sprayed the frame when the previous owner owned it and Toyota USA said that was all that needed to be done, yet the frame is rusted out. Seems unfair to screw consumers this way. The spray didn't do a thing to help except make it look nice for a little bit.
sg1efc likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbuss View Post
I am the original owner of an 05 Tundra with extensive frame rust/perforations. I had the recall sealer done in 2014 and this CRC sealer ruined my frame. My deal er said they couldn't help and Toyota customer service also said they would not help me out. My truck still looks really good and runs great, but I can't even sell it because of the big holes in my frame. I live in Northeast Ohio. Any suggestions?
What's their rationale for NOT covering this under the well-publicized recall, service bulletin, or whatever they're calling it?
sg1efc likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down Re: 2005 Tundra Frame Rust

Following.. I have a 2004 Sequoia with some serious issues as well. Went through the "Rustproofing" spray in 2014 at Stephen's Toyota in Bristol, CT. I moved to NC a year later and last month I had the rear subframe separate from the frame when I was merging onto the interstate. Toyota Customer Service said the same thing..."Oh we feel bad...but there's nothing we can do. Your VIN isn't showing any recalls."

Frustrating to say the least...pretty sure that rustproofing made it worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame Rust 1.jpg (1.13 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Frame Rust 2.jpg (1.08 MB, 32 views)
sg1efc likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleySHO View Post

Frustrating to say the least...pretty sure that rustproofing made it worse.
I agree. They rust from the inside out.

That's the same place the Gen-2 4Runners rust too.
sg1efc likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Rookie

Angry Re: 2005 Tundra Frame Rust

I have a similar problem with a tundra I bought from my son.....2003 exact same BS from Dealer and Toyota.
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA several weeks ago, I have not got a response but I called them and the
agent told me I would not hear anything unless they get enough complaints about the same problem. So I suggest we get all our Toyota friends with rust problems especially Tundra rust to file a complaint ASAP. I would like to add my family has owned at least 10 Toyota vehicles and still own 4 presently. But the fact is Toyota still won't do squat..they say the anti-corosion treatment would stop any further progression.......horse puckey! Those damn frames are made of inferior steel that will rust, disintegrate, fall apart or what ever.

I suggest we ban together and file multiple complaints until Toyota makes it RIGHT.
sg1efc likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Rookie

I agree
How to rally/organize
sg1efc likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Lurking Member

I have an 03 Tundra and had my frame replaced last summer. Took 3.5 months. They also replaced the entire spare wheel assembly. Up front they asked for $300 for bolts and brackets that would snap when removing them. I agreed. I researched extensively the entire procedure and this was common among guys that had their frames replaced. . Into it, they asked about replacing the shocks ( original 160,000 miles on them ) as well as some front end assemblies, struts etc the one with the big springs etc.All new. This came to $700 extra and well worth it and not covered under the frame recall. No labor, only parts were charged. Glad they did it. Before I made contact with any of the dealerships, I filed a complaint with the NTSB as recommended by other vehicle owners.Easy, 10 minutes. This gets the ball rolling and should sober the Toyota Schmitt bag counter people who try to turn you away from Toyota's commitment. First thing they will do is take your VIN and plug it in. Wa La, you are in the NTSB system and they can't or legally shouldn't turn you away. But if they are jerks, read the writing on the wall and find a good dealership. I researched around and my hunting buddy who has mechanics in the family highly recommended me a particular dealership. I called a few others and didn't like their attitude and then called the one in Charlottesville Va. Great people. Knew the recall, wanted the business. There are dealerships that have their act together so they make money on the recall. Toyota allows X amount of hours . My dealership was good, kept their word 100%, loaned me a brand new 120 miles on the odometer, RAV for all those months. Unlimited mileage, totally free. Nice vehicle.
I turned in the RAV . They had to charge the battery cause it sat all those months and the rep had to recommend I get a new battery. Old batter was fine, just needed a good charge. All in all I am extremely pleased with the work and dealership, service manager etc. They are an hour and a half away and my local one is 20 minutes but would travel the distance to buy new or get service which I won't/can't do, which is not much. So, all tolled, find a good dealership and go with it. Oh, printing out your NTSB and recall papers and have them in hand is good, lets them know not to screw with you, but with the right dealership, you won't need to flash them. Good luck
PS I was joking to all my hunting buddies that the new frame is cleaner than the body.....which it was for a short while.
RichS
sg1efc and SoCalPaul like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Should we all file a complaint with both NTSB and NHTSA?

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Who's the ntsb
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helterskelter View Post
Who's the ntsb
I’m not sure. That’s who one of the posters said they sent a complaint to.

2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 AC
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erriiiic View Post
I’m not sure. That’s who one of the posters said they sent a complaint to.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

National Transportation and Safety Board

https://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/default.aspx

2006 Tundra, AC, V8, Ltd, 4wd, Bilsteins, White
2004 Tundra, AC, V8, SR5, 2wd, Bilsteins, Green - Side swiped
1993 L C, Awd, Frt Ctr & Rr Lockers, Bilsteins, Burgandy
1994 4Runner, V6, Ltd, 4wd, Perf Prod Prog 2" lift springs, Bilsteins, Graphite - Hit while parked
2001 Tundra AC, V8, Ltd, 4wd, Perf Prod Prog 2" lift springs, Bilsteins, White - Sold
1992 4Runner, Sr5, V6, 4wd, Torsion bar/Downey OR rr lift 2", Rancho shocks - Trade-in
1988 Toyota P/U AC, 4 cyl, 4wd, 2" lift - Sold

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 04-17-2019 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page