weird "thud" when accelerating - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

weird "thud" when accelerating

hello all!

so i am going on 2 years with my beloved 2005 Double cab tundra with 187k miles. love the truck! since i got it I've been trying to fix little issues it had and have come an issue that I've noticed in the last few months. other than suspension (Bilstein 5100 w/ camburg UCAs) i have not messed with any of the drive train or engine other than oil changes (engine only) so my issue is when I'm driving down the road and decided to pass a slower moving vehicle i step on the gas and almost as soon as the engine revs up i feel a thud which seems to come from my under my seat and or transmission area. i have also noticed that when my truck is cold usually in the mornings before work i drive off and when i come to a stop sign the rpms drop and feel that thud. almost as if my truck did not downshift until i come to the stop. like i stated i have never flushed the transmission since i acquired the truck and wonder if that would be something to look into? I hear people say you shouldn't flush your automatic transmissions because once you do they end up shifting hard and or failing. Not sure if that's just a myth but would like to know what you all think. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Re: weird "thud" when accelerating

Grease your driveshafts zerk fittings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Yes Iím unsure about the thud when you hit the throttle, but the thud when you stop and the rpms drop sounds just like the driveshaft slipjoint. Mine will do it lightly still When the A/C is on only. When the compressor turns off and the truck drops rpm at a stoplight Iíll get a minor thud. Before I greased the slip joint it would feel like I got rear ended every time it happened. Been a few years, I need to grease it again. I would grease it and see if both problems go away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Lurking Member

I understand there are NO grease fittings so that doesn't help.

I had a weird clunk under my '05 and it turned out to be a loose tranny mounting bolt. Was very pleased to find an honest mechanic in a new town and was only charged 1/2 hour labor. Don't know how they found it so fast by I suspect it wasn't a new problem to them....?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Supporter

Center support bearing would be my guess. If it's never been replaced, it's definitely due at that mileage.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
Not sure if you're joking or haven't bothered to look but both my 2000AC and 2005DC Tundras have zerk fittings on the driveshafts. Maybe yours doesn't or you don't know what/where to look at.

Glad you solved your loose tranny though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post

I had a weird clunk under my '05 and it turned out to be a loose tranny mounting bolt. Was very pleased to find an honest mechanic in a new town and was only charged 1/2 hour labor. Don't know how they found it so fast by I suspect it wasn't a new problem to them....?

If you donít have one then I donít know. It doesnít make sense to not have one though, itís a sliding metal to metal section. I was under the impression that every first gen had a grease zerk for the slip joint. Factory U-joints donít have them, but the slip joint should. If you wanna pursue any transmission work, I would research on this forum heavily first. I donít flush mine I just drain the pan and top it back off, but you have a different transmission than my 01 does, so I can be of no assistance in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Rookie

I saw somewhere in the forums that 4WD Tundras have a zerk fitting but 2WD Tundras don't. I cannot verify if this is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page