unexplained lump in rear bumper tread? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Exclamation unexplained lump in rear bumper tread?

Ok. I was talking to my neighbor today and when I turned around I saw this:
see first attachment

I didn't hit anything. No damage to the truck or plastic. It did snow last week but it got up to 50F today. So if it was ice it would have melted. It feels like there is something shoved up under the plastic. Any ideas about what this might be and how to fix it?

See second attachment

Please excuse the blue crocs in this picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lump_in_bumper_pad_II.JPG (114.9 KB, 2257 views)
File Type: jpg lump_in_bumper_pad.JPG (101.4 KB, 1048 views)

I'm not a pilot, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 4.0L V6 SR5 Access Cab
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other Mods:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Re: unexplained lump in rear bumper tread?

I would think its from the change in temp and maybe the plastic warped? You didn't take the pic at a time where the temp was changing rapidly, did you? That would be my first thought

2006 Tundra Access Cab V8 - TRD
16x8 Konig Countersteer w/Nitto TerraGrapplers 285/75R16
Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Wheelers 1.5" rear blocks
Dynomax cat-back w/Cherry Bomb Pro muffler
Pioneer headunit w/Alphasonic amp and Sochse speakers
HID retrofit, Acura TL bi-xenon projectors w/BMW ZKW lenses
Truxedo Truxport / Trail FX black steps bars / Line-X Xtra
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Supporter

Can't tell you why it popped out but I'd bet one the plastic wedge type clips pulled out of the hole in the metal bumper. You may be able to reach up into the bottom to feel whether it just raised straight up or is off to the side of the hole. From the top side you might trying to push down gently to feel where the clip is and once you find it push straight down to see if it'll engage the hole in the bumper. I changed the one on my 2004 because it was all scratched up by the previous owner and it's just held on with square/rectangular plastic clips through the bumper.

Larry

2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, HANKOOK DynoPro,ATM P265/70R17 113T, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Eclipse AVN5510]

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Supporter

It looks like the deformation is about the same height as the plastic studs on the underside of the step guard that hold it to the bumper. One may have just popped up.
Slide under the bumper & take a look. If that's the case, just carefully pop it back in place.
If that's not it, look around down there. I'll bet it's something simple.
And the Crocs are excused....This time.

'00 Thunder Gray Ltd 4wd TRD Oak Leather Interior
Roll & Lock Tonneau
All LED's Inside and Out
'05 DC center console installed
Map Light Mod
Pwr Outlet Mod
Ignition Chime Override Mod
Arm Rest Mod
Dual Magellan GPS's

ScanGauge II
Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis Survivor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bill and Scooter say: "Tundras' Rock!"
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

got under the bumper and all the plastic clips are in place. It feels like something hard is under the bulge in the plastic. Could be that it's warped for some reason and that "hardness" is just the increased rigidity. I try to look at it again in daylight. All I had was a flashlight.

Other Mods:

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Supporter

Sounds like you'll have to pop some of those retainers loose & take a look.

'00 Thunder Gray Ltd 4wd TRD Oak Leather Interior
Roll & Lock Tonneau
All LED's Inside and Out
'05 DC center console installed
Map Light Mod
Pwr Outlet Mod
Ignition Chime Override Mod
Arm Rest Mod
Dual Magellan GPS's

ScanGauge II
Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis Survivor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bill and Scooter say: "Tundras' Rock!"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Mine has the same bump in the same exact place. I actually never gave it much thought, however. But I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for more information regarding this issue.

Thanks for the heads up!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2004 Tundra DC SR5, Blue Marlin, TRD Off-Road, Tow Package, All Weather Guard. The Rest is Stock and Damn it, I Love this truck!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Mine has the same bump in the same exact place. I actually never gave it much thought, however. But I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for more information regarding this issue.

Thanks for the heads up!
Interesting. Did you go to a touchless car wash recently? It's the only thing I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed View Post
Sounds like you'll have to pop some of those retainers loose & take a look.
Thought you might say that. I'll have to wait till daylight.

Other Mods:

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

My guess is that something pushed against your bumper and changed the shape. You said that you haven't hit anything, but somebody could have pushed against you in a parking lot when you weren't looking. Another possibility is something got under the bumper, like maybe you backed into a dirt embankment and "lifted" the truck on that corner. The possibilities are endless, but I bet it was the result of some kind of slow-motion impact.

Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
AKA blackmbj

Send a message via AIM to BAD BONEZ BJ

Look at the tip of the bumper on that side. A low-impact blow on that end will give you a buckle in the metal. I was two days with mine and backed into something. No real visable damage, except for a slight smudge on that end and the buckle where your lump is. I used a 2x4 and a hammer. Flattened the lump right out.

2003 Tundra 4.7L V8 Access Cab Limited 4WD
w/ all factory packages, Black Onyx 202-rebadged. was stock 31K on 5/9/05, now 56K

Performance: DYNOed at 208 HP and 272 TQ
* UNICHIP (broken) * AEM Brute Force Intake * AEM DryFlow Filter * K&N DryCharger * AirRaid TBS * JBA Titanium-Ceramic Headers * JBA Y-Pipe * Gibson CAT-Back Dual Extreme Exhaust * PulseStar Pulse Plugs * Fitch Fuel Catalyst System * Optima D35 Yellow Top * Argus Battery Bug * Fumoto F103N Oil Drain Valve * RP Oils *
Exterior:
* Extang Full-Tilt Tonneau * Bedrug * Topline Tailgate Step * Mr. Gille Upper & Lower Billet Grille * WAAG Bumper Guards, front & rear * HT Side Step Nerf Bars * AVS Hood Protector * WeatherTech Vent Shades * JDM Black Taillights * TurnSmart Solar-power Mirror Turn-Signals * Altec 48" Line-of-Fire LED Light Kit * Altec 53" Screamer Amber Side Marker LED * PIAA Backup/Work Lights * 35 % Tinting * Bully LED Third Brake/Cargo Light *
Interior:
* Gentex Auto Dimming Compass/Temp Rear View * Garmin's Nuvi 660 GPS * Scan Guage II * Passport SR7 Radar/laser shifter *
Wheels/Tires:
* Moto Metal M0951 Gloss Black 17 in. Alloys * SpiderTrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers * Goodyear Fortera TripleTred radials P275/60R17 *
Suspension:
* Bilstein HD Shocks, F&R * Hellwig Rear Sway Bar & Helper Springs * TCS Poly Steering Rack Bushings * Wheeler's Front Sway Bar Bushings * Timbren SES Kit, Front & Rear *
Brakes:
* TRD Big Brake Kit (front) *

BAD BONEZ BJ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

it's a tumor
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM

-Deleted-

06 Tundra DC - Limited
JBL Audio 6 disc w/Bazooka VSE
USA SPEC PA12-TOY
Putco Oval Hybrid steps
Line-X
TruXedo LoPro
6 Custom 1 Watt wide angle LEDs under bed rail.
* Springfield XD .40S&W w/B Talons, usually on my person....(CCW)

13 25'N - 144 44'E ......
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy View Post
it's a tumor

IT'S NOT A TOOMUH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kindergarden Cop.jpg (25.3 KB, 23947 views)

06 Tundra DC - Limited
USA SPEC PA12-TOY
Putco Oval Hybrid steps
Line-X
TruXedo LoPro

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM

I think it may have something to do with the cold and shrinkage....maybe the crocs. Hey at least they're blue (are those air force issued?). Try lifting the plastic from the drivers side over and maybe just reseat the clips?

06 Tundra DC - Limited
USA SPEC PA12-TOY
Putco Oval Hybrid steps
Line-X
TruXedo LoPro

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboy View Post
IT'S NOT A TOOMUH!
LOL. I was thinking the same thing when I read the title.

At any rate, sounds like you've gotten some pretty good feedback already. Hope you find the cause for your tumor, and a cure.

MODS: Oversized Drain Plug.

DIY: ATF Flush, w/ Pics.

DIY: Coolant Flush, w/ Pics.
Coming Soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page