Emergency brake cable - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Radial GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Emergency brake cable

So I went to the Toyota dealer this morning to have an oil change and tire rotation on my 2010 tundra rock warrior double cab. Of course I want expecting they would find something else wrong because it is by the way a dealership or stealership. So according to the tech my emergency brake cables are broken at the pivot point. $951.64 to replace and free up pivot. I told him I would go to the next service before the inspection to have it done Just to get out of the dealership. So I crawled underneath the truck to see if I could find a broken cable. Attached are the pictures that I took of the pivot point. I don't see a broken cable anywhere but the adjustment bolt didn't seem loose. Am I being scammed or not looking in the right places
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1437496778296.jpg (139.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg image_1437496797911.jpg (169.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg image_1437496812881.jpg (163.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg image_1437496839950.jpg (209.3 KB, 105 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Supercharged Member

Re: Emergency brake cable

Not sure if I see anything broken but those cables do look to be pretty rotted out. Whether or not you replace them is up to you unless you have to as part of some sort of local yearly safety that those have to be working. Either way, given where you live, you should start rustproofing your vehicle. Cables that look like that are a prime reason why people should be doing preventative maintenance.

https://www.krown.com/locations.php?...5237&x=12&y=15

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

cheapskate...I know i admit I have a little lax on rustproofing (kids...work..life, etc). I just had feeling like someone is trying to pull a fast one. When I get the survey from the dealership I am going to attach pictures and see what response they have. This is not the usual dealer I go to, but figured I would cash in the free oil change and tire rotation. Also I looked up the rear brake lines at TRD sparks and I could order both for around $100 total.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 AM

I found that the parking brake mechanism froze up after my first Upstate NY winter. I freed/lubricated the mechanism (your picture 2), use it regularly and clean/re-lube every year. No trouble since...

2011 2WD DC 4.6. Black and scratchy!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Supercharged Member

Mine is only 3 years old but I also live in the rust belt not far from PT but I just looked at my cables and they look pretty much mint.
PT: I would say your cables look pretty bad but $600 for labor? That seems like a rip off for sure. I never looked that closely but I cant help but think you could do it yourself if you really needed to. That being said, most people don't even care about the e brake in an automatic any more.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Lurking Member

Check where the cables go into the backing plate at the rear wheels. The metal part always seems to crack there and allows water to enter the cable. I hope that helps.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:54 PM

yup, youre being taken to the cleaners! i just replaced my pivot mechanism today with my grandson. it was solid, had to use my dead blow to even get it to move at all once i had it out. new mechanism was around 70$ from the stealer and mentoring the new family mechanic took some time but it was completely doable. 12mm wrench/socket is all thats needed.

next weekend we are going to do the adjustment of the parking brake mechanisms on both rear wheels. started late today and wanted to enjoy the rest of a beautiful newfoundland day!

lee

traded in the '07 on a new '17 trd pro! i think it was the last one available in canada! work done so far: bfg ko2's, remote start, weathertech mats, hood deflector, front windows tinted, window vent visors, flush tonneau, exterior and interior l.e.d. lights (in process), sliders/side steps. not much else it needs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Even when you are able to adjust the ebrake on these trucks, it's still worthless. I bought all new everything from shoes to hardware in hopes of getting a good ebrake, and it is still terrible. I launch my boat on some steep ramps and like to know there is a secondary system holding the truck from the lake, but these ebrakes do not seem to be up to the task at all.

Like others have mentioned though, you need to use them. I use them year round unless it is a water to flash freeze type of weather, just to keep them functioning.

Nothing in your pictures needs to be changed. Just a bit of penetrate/rust proofing to keep things moving.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

2008 Tundra, Limited TRD, 5.7 w/ Tow Package, Leveled, 145K Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page