#%$&!! front brake pins - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Supporter

#%$&!! front brake pins

A tip for those of you who live in areas that use a lot of road salt:
Those pins that hold the front brake pads in the calipers can rust in place so badly that you can't get them out. The only thing that works is "heat and beat" but heating with a torch will destroy the caliper seals. If your front brake pads last more than a year then I suggest that you replace those pins annually so you don't have to replace the calipers.

'19 SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step

Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Techstream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBTMA member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Garage
Re: #%$&!! front brake pins

I read about this issue when I first appropriated my '11 in '14. I got lucky and the pins weren't seized but looked like there was the potential. I removed them when I painted my calipers and added some anit-seize to them, and they've been great ever since. FWIW

Tesla > Edison
2011 5.7L RCSB AWD (not a typo)

Last edited by Jade; 11-29-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Supercharged Member

What Jade said. Havent pulled them since I coated them so I hope I'm not screwed.

Mendosy- Could you drill them out? Just thinking that if they are that rusted they should pretty much disintegrate anyways.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
What Jade said. Havent pulled them since I coated them so I hope I'm not screwed.

Mendosy- Could you drill them out? Just thinking that if they are that rusted they should pretty much disintegrate anyways.
I suppose that they could be drilled out if the calipers could be set up in something like a Bridgeport mill to keep the drill from walking. The caliper casting would be softer material than the pins.

'19 SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step

Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Techstream

CBTMA member

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Lurking Member

yea I agree there has to be a better way

Ron Hel

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Anti-seize, period.

Learned that the hard way when I had to drill the pins out of my first set of calipers in my Gen1 Tundra. With the brake TSB, I got the upgraded calipers and the anti-seize has been working for the last 10+ years.

You CAN drill the pins out, you just need a steady hand and it won't be perfect. Applying heat is questionable. I've heard from people who've done it and not damaged the caliper seals. Might be something to try if drilling isn't for you and your most likely going to need a new set of calipers anyway.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporter

Yes, anti-sieze compound is the best solution around, but even that doesn't completely solve the problem if you live in a high road salt area. It needs to be re-applied every year to be safe.

'19 SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step

Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Techstream

CBTMA member

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 AM

Garage

I give the pins on my truck a little tap back and forth when ever i have the wheels off. seems to keep them moving .

2010 Black Rock Warrior DC
mpg buttons added
WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
Custom bed lighting

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
Yes, anti-sieze compound is the best solution around, but even that doesn't completely solve the problem if you live in a high road salt area. It needs to be re-applied every year to be safe.
Really? I've just slathered on the silver based anti-seize and just rotate & move the pins in/out every couple of years. Hasn't been much of an issue for me personally. The pins do go in loosely though now. I did make sure they aren't a tight fit.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page