Tundra "spongy" brakes - Page 3 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Re: Tundra "spongy" brakes

Wow- Thanks for following that through to a definitive solution, and for sharing with us. I have sort of the same problem, but maybe a little less severe ('12 DC, 96K miles). When I hold my pedal down (which, like yours, feels a little mushy and not at the top of the pedal throw), it slowly "bleeds" down another half-inch or so of pedal throw. Also, my ABS seems to engage way before it should-- like WAY before tires would otherwise skid. Dealer service rep says the "bleed down" is a some sort of an over-pressure bypass in the MC. Sounds fishy to me...

Gonna order the stainless lines today. Thanks again, CSM-H and others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporter

mikiey1, good idea start with the Stainless Steel brake lines.... good luck. CSM-H
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Rookie

I'm not a mechanic or even an advanced DIY person but I have been following the process and learning along the way.

The pro couldn't figure out what's causing the problem even with several tries. Glad that you've found the culprit and thank you for sharing your experience.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

And I'm now experiencing this, with my 2011. Tundra... 91600 on her, she sits most of the time these days I just use it to pull my boat and haul my motorcycle, hauling it from SWFL to VT and back. I do make sure to run it around every few weeks just to make sure it charges the battery, keeps the joints/seals lubed, etc. I did notice that when I did the abs chatter on the grass, it seemed to get less spongy, so today I had the brake fluid flushed and it's still just as spongy. Tomorrow I'll go do the abs chatter on the grass again, and see if that changes it up any.

5.7L 4x4 DCSB

Mods completed so far:Techstream No Locks on takeoff/park/in gear -Underseat storage~Husky Weatherbeaters~Truxedo LT Pro QT Tonneau Cover~Westin Step Bars~Scotchguarded carpet/seats~Backup Camera with dimming mirror~Onyx Spray in BedLiner~TRD Sway Bar~Webasto 740 Series Sunroof~
Mods to come - in progress)~3m Clear Bra~Window Tinting
Mods Later (Fall maybe)~Clazzio Seat covers~Heated Seats

Last edited by Garth; 05-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page