1Gen Reverse Signal Wire (If you're searching.. here it is!) - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By CCARR
  • 1 Post By Stone_Blue
  • 1 Post By Jimmypop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

1Gen Reverse Signal Wire (If you're searching.. here it is!)

I've been doing a lot of searching regarding this topic over the past couple days in anticipation of installing my new aftermarket headunit and backup camera. As I'm sure you know, the reverse signal wire is used to alert your aftermarket headunit when the truck is shifted in revers so that the screen automatically displays the view from your back-up camera.

During my research the results I was finding were vague and inconsistent at best. The only thing anyone seemed absolutely sure of is that you can run wire all the way back to the tail lights and tap the positive wire there. Since I had already very neatly ran the camera video and power wires from back to front in a wire loom, I was not inclined to cut it all down to add the additional wire.

I finally found a post on another site that seemed reasonably specific and confident that the wire was under the driver's side kick panel and was the black wire with the red stripe. Since there are a few of those under there, I pulled out the multimeter and went to work.

The correct wire was black with a red stripe, but also has silver rings around it. See the photos below for reference. I hope this helps others who are completing the same project.

IMG_20130813_200204_839_edit.jpgIMG_20130813_200235_149_edit.jpgIMG_20130813_201258_292[1].jpg
sg1efc and 2k_tundra like this.

Chris Carr
2006 Double Cab X-SP
Phantom Gray Pearl
20" BBS RD-T Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Thanks for posting. Ive been putting off that same project.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Supporter

Garage
Re: 1Gen Reverse Signal Wire (If you're searching.. here it is!)

Just be careful, as electrical wiring can vary QUITE a bit between different years...'00-'02 seem to be very close, and '03-'04, and then '05-'06. Wiring can vary quite a bit depending on the motor/trans combo as well. This fits in with the major styling, motor, and tranny changes over the '00-'06 1st Gen years.

For example the '03 EWD shows the R/B for the reverse lights going thru a couple connectors behind the glove box, AND its different between the 2UZ/5VZ...
sg1efc likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Better double check with a multimeter.
sg1efc likes this.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 AM

well at a minimum now I know where to start looking for the signal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Lurking Member

On my 01 Sequoia Limited.

Reverse lead is located under the driver's side kick panel. A red wire with black stripe with silver circles. See pic.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Rookie

The correct wire was black with a red stripe, but also has silver rings around it. See the photos below for reference. I hope this helps others who are completing the same project.

Attachment 54517Attachment 54518Attachment 54516[/QUOTE]

That's a Red wire with a Black tracer ! Not Black with Red tracer!

"Remember, Marriage is the Number One Cause of Divorce"!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Rookie

I just got my dads 2006 to tundra, which I've always loved. It's needed some attention and I'm finally getting caught up in everything that needed to be taken care of.

I just installed a camera today, and this was absolutely helpful.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkes704 View Post
I just got my dads 2006 to tundra, which I've always loved. It's needed some attention and I'm finally getting caught up in everything that needed to be taken care of.

I just installed a camera today, and this was absolutely helpful.
So, in your 2006 Tundra, was it the same wire? Red with black stripe with silver rings around it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Rookie

On my 04 DoubleCab, I found the reverse wire in the back of the instrument cluster. It was on the connector closest to the passenger side and was the wire 5 spots in from the left. A black/yellow wire. Wire to the left was park, wire to the right was neutral, then drive, then 2 then L. Guessing it was the wires that light up the gear indicator in the instrument cluster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-6856.JPG (56.8 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page