Common Signal Lines for the 2007 Tundra - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Common Signal Lines for the 2007 Tundra

Since this question seems to come up quite a bit, I thought I'd make a single thread to identify common signal lines required for aftermarket NAV or camera installation for the three different factory-supplied stereo types.

Speed Sensor:

For the navigation unit it is pin 3 of connecter K6 (white wire).

K6 looks like this:

For the head unit with a separate amplifier, it is pin 4 of connecter K9 (white wire).

K9 looks like this:

For the head units with a built-in amplifier, it is pin 3 of connecter K3 (white wire).

K3 looks like this:

Reverse Indicator

For the navigation unit, it is pin 5 of connecter K6 (green wire)

Again, K6 looks like this:

For all other models, you have to use the connecter for the backup monitor in the headliner. I can’t find reference in the schematics (AP1?) but it is the green wire on this connecter:

Factory Backup Camera

For the navigation system, it is pins 21 to 24 on connecter K7

K7 looks like this:

Pin 21 is the camera’s ground.
Pin 24 is supply voltage for camera
Pin 22 is the positive lead for the video signal
Pin 23 is the negative lead for the video signal

For all other models, again you need to use the connecter for the backup monitor.

White brings ground to the camera
Black brings supply voltage to the camera
Red is video positive
Grey is video negative

I hadn’t thought of it at the time when I did my installation, but power and ground must be on this connecter. The wires left over are blue and violet. Anyone want to take their roof console down to measure out the lines?

Dale McLean
aka PS-RagE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM

Re: Common Signal Lines for the 2007 Tundra

Excellent info. Thanks for condensing it into one.

5.7L 4WD CrewMax, Silver Sky, TRD, Remote Starter, Sill Plates X4, Color Matched LineX.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Excelent info.

I have a question though. I'm about to put in the AVN5510 for my truck (non amp, non jbl system) to replace the stock HU. It has standard 4 pairs speakers output (left/right fronts, left/right rears). However, my stock truck has 6 speakers..what will happen to the other two speakers? Will it be splice somewhere upstream in stock configuration already?
How may pair of speaker wires comes off stock HU?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM

4 pairs come off the HU. The dash speakers are wired in parallel with the fr door speakers.

5.7L 4WD CrewMax, Silver Sky, TRD, Remote Starter, Sill Plates X4, Color Matched LineX.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Thank's buddy that was very helpful and worked perfectly, a lot easier than running it all the way to the rear light.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM

For those with navigation units, K6 also has a red wire that is the emergency parking brake wire.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Nice information.Thank's.

2007 DC,Blue strike metallic,BBS rims,3rd ligth cover,x-sp,trd,calipers painted in blue.Chrome strips around the tailgate,,bug shield,wind deflectors.Side bed rails.G2 bakflip cover.TRD CAI,Alpine 2-1023d woofer,6x9 front dr,and 6x5 back dr speakers.1 Hifonics amp 4 channels,1-1000 wtts crunch amp for woofers.Dynamat all dr's,and back wall.Head ligths paint mod in black. Custom box 2 -10" woofers by Tech12volts.Chrome towing mirror covers,tail gate handle chrome cover,dr handle chrome cover.Billet grill top and bottom and bumper insert.Custom made dr sill's and dr pillar overlay by Billet technology.Stebel horn.More to come.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Rookie

On the standard radio, the reverse wire can be found in a gray plug with a cap in it, behind the stock radio on the loom that runs along the main dash support.

When you remove the stock radio, about 10 inches back is the harness. Taped up in a bundle is the gray plug. Just cut back the tape, and tap in to the small purple wire.

Just put in a Pioneer D3 w/Pioneer back up camera.

It is a very small purple wire. 12volt+.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Lurking Member

Is the backup camera wire in this bundle as well?
Wondering if I could use this on the D3 with the OEM camera?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post

For all other models, again you need to use the connecter for the backup monitor.

Black brings switched 12v to the camera
Red is video positive
Grey is video negative

I hadn’t thought of it at the time when I did my installation, but power and ground must be on this connecter. The wires left over are blue and violet. Anyone want to take their roof console down to measure out the lines?
Blue is always on power (need to verify if it shuts off after 20 minutes)
Grey (not the grey in the video bundle of 4 wires) switched power
Violet unkown? anyone?
White w/black stripe unkown? anyone?

Can someone tell me how to verify ground? I am guessing it is on Violet or more likely White w/black stripe. I will also measure the voltage out of these wires and update this thread.

EDIT: Verified voltage on both Blue and Grey wires is 12V, regulated power for the OEM camera (5.5 - 7.05V) must come from the OEM backup monitor. I also believe the white w/black stripe is the ground since it is positioned opposite the other wires AND there is a wire (same color) in the exact same position in the harness that connects to the overhead console lights.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outriderx View Post
Blue is always on power (need to verify if it shuts off after 20 minutes)
Grey (not the grey in the video bundle of 4 wires) switched power
Violet unkown? anyone?
White w/black stripe unkown? anyone?

Can someone tell me how to verify ground? I am guessing it is on Violet or more likely White w/black stripe. I will also measure the voltage out of these wires and update this thread.

EDIT: Verified voltage on both Blue and Grey wires is 12V, regulated power for the OEM camera (5.5 - 7.05V) must come from the OEM backup monitor. I also believe the white w/black stripe is the ground since it is positioned opposite the other wires AND there is a wire (same color) in the exact same position in the harness that connects to the overhead console lights.
I don't know if it's ever been figured out, but I think Violet wire would be a reverse signal, so it would turn on the little back up monitor and send regulated power to the camera in the back.

-Greg
(Sold to) References: keninsb, BamaDave, Sweet Mercy, Daily-Tundra, Hootbro, andito77, sodar, kcpake, roadking3, TACOMA915, barna6vi, matrix77, bds13, msaltx07, guyjones10, Marky_Mark, lucentking, dbllung, goingnorth52, TeXas_TRD, Verchu ,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

more references: bimmerforums.com, caraudio.com, audiogon.com, ebay.com

ABC-Regeneracja: profesjonalna naprawa oraz regeneracja bloków i zaworów ABC zawieszenia Mercedes S, CL, SL
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Anybody have any info on the rest of the factory connector plugs? For nav units that is?

I am ditching the entire jbl system and can only find harnesses that RETAIN the jbl amp etc.

I just need info so I can cut/splice my eclipse nav unit into my truck.

Thanks.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post

Factory Backup Camera

For the navigation system, it is pins 21 to 24 on connecter K7

K7 looks like this:

Pin 21 is the camera’s ground.
Pin 24 is supply voltage for camera
Pin 22 is the positive lead for the video signal
Pin 23 is the negative lead for the video signal

Black brings supply voltage to the camera
Red is video positive
Grey is video negative

This is great and very valuable thread. Thanks for starting it, PS-RagE

I followed the above wiring scheme for dropping the video signals down from the overhead console to the K7 Mic connector on my retrofit OEM Nav unit. I was unable to get the camera to initialize or show video. I rewired new pins into the K7 connector thinking there was an issue there but no dice. The camera had been working fine previously with the smaller overhead monitor.

After replacing all my K7 pins and running test leads from front to rear of the Tundra I finally determined that my Toyota dealer pulled the black wire from the vehicle-side rear view camera harness under the bumper (!!!). I took it in to the dealer for the new tailgate right before starting this project and some fender-bender body work and hadn't noticed the backup monitor problem. I extracted the broken wire's pin from the connector and replaced it with a spare I pulled from a tailight harness I had left over from the body work. Woola. It now works exactly as Ps-RagE described (along with gbbuilders who posted the OEM Nav DIY thread).

I edited this post because in the original I had come up with a workaround that was technically incorrect where the camera negative video was tied into the camera ground. It kinda worked but not well and that's what led me to find the real culprit under the rear bumper.

Once again I've seen where I'd rather not have my Toyota dealer touch my truck as it causes more grief than good.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

EDIT: See two posts below for information on a more convenient location for camera connections not requiring work in the overhead of the truck.

Here is how the OHD monitor connector should be wired to drop signal down to Nav unit. For a shorter run there is a connector under the driver's side A-pillar cover that has the same circuits with the same color coding. It is one of two connectors down low right below the curtain airbag mount. The one that can be used is closer to the driver with tape wrapped up it. You won't have to mess wit the headliner that way.

Here's the diagram of how I finally got things to work after finding the broken wire in my tailgate harness:

I'm still not convinced there may be similar circuits in the unused K9 plug or in the K3 plug behind the Nav but forewent the continuity check because I already had everything set up and buttoned up.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Rookie

I deem this the best thread in the entire WORLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page