Rear Camera and Headunit Install - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By CrimeDogMcGriff
  • 1 Post By JohnnySixString
  • 4 Post By CrimeDogMcGriff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Rear Camera and Headunit Install

So this past week and weekend, my wife was out of town for a few days, so I was able to take some time to install a new head unit and rear view camera that I had ordered. It wasn't too hard and it was well worth the effort. The mounting bracket has some gaps, which I'm not very happy with, so I found a new one that I ordered to hopefully fix the problem.
Here is the new HU
IMG_0144.jpg
After installing the new HU, I went on to mount the new camera. I went with the low profile camera from Esky and since I didnt really want to deal with running wires, I bought the matching Wireless adapter to save some time. The picture twitches a tiny bit, but it's worth the hassle to use it for 5 seconds when backing up.

I really didnt want to see the camera, or have it stick out and look aftermarket, I am really anal about things looking "stock". I decided to mount it in my tailgate handle. It was a little more complicated, having to make a bracket get the angle right, but it came out great IMO. IMG_0153.jpgIMG_0154.jpg

Once i was able to locate the reverse wire, I tapped into that and now it works flawlessly. Counldnt be more happy. I can see what's behind me!!
IMG_0161.jpg

I can see the handle, but it only blocks my bumper and the sky, so I am ok with it. The most important thing was it being hard to notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (429.6 KB, 179 views)
sg1efc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM

Re: Rear Camera and Headunit Install

Nice job, thinking about doing the same on my own truck soon.

2002 3.4L V-6 130k miles Added OEM fogs, 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTP on OEM alloys, Satoshi Grille, Bilstein 5100's, Firestone AirBag Helper Springs 2445, Hellwig 7700 Rear Sway Bar, more to come...

Build your own "Satoshi Grille" here ~~~>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Lurking Member

Looks good crime dog. Where is the reserve wire to tap into at? Got a project of my own coming up By chance can you explain/show how the camera is mounted behind the tailgate latch?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Lurking Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwitit View Post
Where is the reserve wire to tap into at?
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...wire-if-youre/
sg1efc likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:14 AM
T23
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwitit View Post
Looks good crime dog. Where is the reserve wire to tap into at? Got a project of my own coming up By chance can you explain/show how the camera is mounted behind the tailgate latch?
Pretty slick. I too would like to know how you did that mount behind the tailgate latch. Looks good

2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5
King Coilovers ~1.5" Lift w/ Kartek 930 boots, Wheeler's Differential Drop Kit
SkidRow Front Skid Plate, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf Kit w/ Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks
Cooper LT255/80R17E Discoverer S/T MAXX on OEM Wheels

Past:
Purchased a 2001 new and ran it till 2016. Gen 1 Tundras are awesome trucks....

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Very nice sir

2006 Tundra 4WD Limited w/62k miles

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Lurking Member

Which mounting kit did you use? Gonna throw a Pioneer FH-X830BHS in my 00 when I get the chance. Then a nice component set and two 8" subs and separate amps.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:51 AM

I installed a camera in mine a few months ago and I really like it. I used one of the license plate kit which doesn't give you a good perspective IMO. I like the one that is higher up so you can actually see how close you are to something. I might try to hide something in my latch like this.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited. (new frame 12/13) De-badged, 06 4Runner Sport 18" wheels. BFG Rugged Terrain's 275/65-18's. Poly sway bar bushings w/ HD end links. Poly steering rack bushings. Billstein 5100's 3rd notch on the front. Magnaflow CAT pipes, Borla Cat back exhaust. aFe air filter, Kenwood DDX6703S with integrated steering wheel controls and bluetooth (steering controls from 4Runner). WeatherTech mats. TruXedo LoPro QT tonneau cover.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T23 View Post
Pretty slick. I too would like to know how you did that mount behind the tailgate latch. Looks good
This please!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Rookie

Very nicely done! Now I really want to do this as well. Please post back detailing how you did the camera!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Rookie

Realize that this is an old post but have my 2006 DC NAV unit out and want to mount a BU camera just like this one in the tailgate latch. Any details on the camera and approach to mounting would be helpful.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the super long delay. I never got a notification so many people replied until today. Below are the answers to some of your questions, hope its not too late.

The camera i used is linked above, unfortunately i cannot locate the HU mounting bracket I purchased on ebay. It looked like this and it may be this one, metra sounds familiar, LINK. It wont let me go far enough back in my purchase history to confirm. But it definitly made the headunit look more stock.

To mount the camera, I basically took the tailgate latch handle off and used a metal punch to make an indention for my drill bit. Once I drilled the hole close to the size of the camera, I then use a round file to file the hole bigger and at an angle so the camera just pokes through and is pointed at the ground. To mount the camera, my dad and I took a piece of aluminum and custom made a mount. We measured the distance of the screws that hold the tailgate latch on to the tailgate (as this is how we mounted it to the tailgate, using the existing mount). Then cut a piece to size, drilled out the holes and left a strip on the side to mount the camera. I can post a picture later when i get home of the aluminum mount. Once that was made we screwed it in, bent/adjusted the piece holding the camera so it lined up with the hole and done.

My tailgate latch broke about a year ago so I had to do this all over again and it came out just as good. Bought a cheapo tailgate latch since I knew i was drilling a hole in it. $20 compared to $80 for OEM.

Thanks guys and Ill post that picture later.
T23, sg1efc, welch.la and 1 others like this.

2004 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab - Line-X bed, Tool box, Yakima Roof Rack, Sony XAV-68BT DVD, Back-Up Camera

Last edited by CrimeDogMcGriff; 05-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Rookie

Nice information..
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 AM
Rookie

Great information..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page