Tundra frame rust recall??? - Page 118 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1756 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Lurking Member

Re: Tundra frame rust recall???

Quote:
Did you talk with a Tiffany Bishop at Corporate? She will not send you anything in writing. She listens and may sound empathetic at first, but she is very polished at saying No. Essentially Toyota’s Henchman. Opinion based upon multiple interactions.
My case manager was Kevin. I don't remember the last name right now. He was the same way as the person you describe though. Didn't want to do anything or help in anyway. When pressed for actual answers be became very defensive and borderline rude. Wouldn't let me speak with his supervisor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1757 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00 Tundra View Post
I don't actually have any questions for anybody, I just need to rant here for a minute...

I had mine inspected in early January and it failed. They ordered the frame but said it would take a couple of weeks for it to come in, which I was fine with, I wasn't in a huge rush. Late February I got a phone call letting me know that the frame was in, so I made the appointment to drop it off on March 5th for the replacement. Well now it's been there since then and is still sitting out behind the dealership untouched. Apparently they discovered on thursday last week (well over a week after I dropped it off) that the frame they got for it was a Tacoma frame. As of today they still don't have a frame for me and couldn't confirm that it was even on it's way yet. On top of all this, they claim it takes about 2 weeks to do the whole replacement from start to finish, which I don't understand considering some of you say it took less than 3 days for yours. I go home for spring break on April 7th for a week and I was kind of hoping my dad was going to be able to put a couple hundred "shakedown" miles on it to make sure everything was set to go before I make the 450 mile trip back to school, so far I'm not too confident they're going to have it done in time and I don't have any idea how the heck I'm going to bring home all my stuff from school in my mom's rav4 (which by the way, I HATE regardless of worrying about how I'm going to get all my stuff in it. I just can't imagine being stuck with it any longer than I absolutely have to).

There, I guess I feel a little better now
This may be one of those times when you have to look at the glass as half full. There are dozens of people on here that wanted frames and are simply getting their rust wire brushed and coated. From my experience and reading through the posts it is obvious that the biggest key to satisfaction is the individual dealerships. Some have great customer service and others don't know you after the sale. My dealer has a great deal of experience with the frame replacements and did an absolutely outstanding job on my truck. Trust me it will be worth the wait.
post #1758 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 AM

I would like to hear what others think of the frame coating also after having it on for a couple of weeks. I got a call from my dealership- Kolosso Toyota and my truck goes in in two weeks. I asked on the phone if they take the bed off like they are supposed to and he said they do. I will be cautiously optimistic but I don't like this dealership as I have had a few issues in the past with them, but I never dealt with the body shop before. My deal is, is that my bed is rusting terribly up from underneath where the cross bar is welded to the bed-I will be interested to see what they say about that.

post #1759 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokman View Post
I got a call from my dealership- Kolosso Toyota and my truck goes in in two weeks. ...I don't like this dealership as I have had a few issues in the past with them, but I never dealt with the body shop before. My deal is, is that my bed is rusting terribly up from underneath where the cross bar is welded to the bed-I will be interested to see what they say about that.
I do not have the undercoat, so cannot give first hand comments. Curious, is this the only dealer near you? Why use them if you had issues with them before? I may be wrong, but, I am not aware
of Toyota doing anything for the rusted beds. When I saw a truck recently done at a dealer, the bed and bolts were rusted bad. I asked why they were not replaced, and the tech noted.."not part of the recall, we do
not fix that".

Anyone know or heard different on the beds?

JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list......
post #1760 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodave View Post
This may be one of those times when you have to look at the glass as half full. There are dozens of people on here that wanted frames and are simply getting their rust wire brushed and coated. From my experience and reading through the posts it is obvious that the biggest key to satisfaction is the individual dealerships. Some have great customer service and others don't know you after the sale. My dealer has a great deal of experience with the frame replacements and did an absolutely outstanding job on my truck. Trust me it will be worth the wait.
I know I should just suck it up, I'm getting a completely new frame, about $9000-$10000 for free! It just annoys me that it's been there for over 2 weeks and they haven't even begun work on it when I had a scheduled date with them. The first time I got it inspected I had an appointment and I sat in the waiting room for 3 hours before they looked at it. The sales dept is great, my family has bought cars from one salesman in particular for over 20 years, the service dept just seems to not give a @#&$ about the customer. I am glad I'm getting the work done, I just really want my baby back! The separation anxiety is too much to bear

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2000 AC Tundra 4WD 4.7L, Flowmaster American Thunder dual exhaust, Five 100 watt KC Daylighters (2 on one switch, 3 on the another), Pioneer/Premier (sirius, bluetooth, iPod) DEHP-790BT headunit, Kicker component speakers, MA audio midbass drivers, all powered by Jensen 4 channel amp, Two 8" Kicker Comp VT subs powered by Pioneer GM-5400T amp. 1 ferad capacitor followed by a distribution block feeds both amps. Bilstein 5100's all the way around, front on top setting. Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf kit in rear with Hellwig 550 lb level load helper springs. Spidertraxx wheel spacers, painted wheels (Duplicolor Graphite Grey. thanks BobbyB for the inspiration there), Custom bumper with front hitch receiver, Smittybuilt XR-C8 winch.

Custom rear bumper/tailgate is currently in the works

and of course a list of about 57362 things i want to do in the future...can't stop the M.A.D.ness
post #1761 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skav2407 View Post
My case manager was Kevin. I don't remember the last name right now. He was the same way as the person you describe though. Didn't want to do anything or help in anyway. When pressed for actual answers be became very defensive and borderline rude. Wouldn't let me speak with his supervisor.
Yes, their representatives when pressed get un-professional. And the reason in my case is because they could provide no logical explanation why they won’t do the undercoating portion of the recall on my truck yet it met all of their criteria – and I kept pressing until she got bothered and during the whole conversation. After consulting with a lawyer, I have no legal recourse until something bad happens – i.e. spare tire/gas tank drops off – or frame fails under towing load in the future.

Unfortunately, In your situation, corporate sees the recall as completed. I’d think your best bet is working with your local dealer and expressing to them a safety concern. According to the dealer I spoke with, the undercoating adds 15 years of life to the frame. I would explain to them the rust you are seeing is something that shouldn’t be showing for many many years if the undercoating was applied to specification. Good luck, hope that helps some.
post #1762 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Had my Tundra in for the second inspection. It passed the first one but failed this one. I asked what's next. Dealer said we order the frame and get back with you. When I ask for a time frame in which I could expect this to happen. He said they had several to fail recently but no frames have come in yet. Didn't know what the problem was. I did speak with another Tundra owner who had his replaced at that dealer back nearly a year ago! So he said.
post #1763 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Supporter

I spoke to Nicole at Toyota corporate today as I too used to live in a high-risk state, but moved to North Carolina last year. 9 years of salt did it's damage, but not enough to put a hole in my frame yet. Nicole stated that the entire rust perforation campaign would be extended through December 2012. This includes frame replacements and the rust preventative coatings. I guess that makes sense since, if your truck does have a 10mm hole, coating it won't really do much. I'm not sure if this had been discussed yet in this thread, I didn't see it.

Nicole would not send me anything written stating that the frame replacement campaign would be extended from April '12 to December '12, but she said I'd be receiving notice in the mail. Has anyone else heard this?
post #1764 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Rookie

Just pulled this off the Toyota Owners site:

LSC A0F - Certain 2000 through 2003 Toyota Tundra Frame Rust Corrosion Perforation
This is a Limited Service Campaign. In the event that rust corrosion to the frame causing perforation (based upon Toyota’s inspection criteria) of the metal has occurred on your Tundra vehicle, contact any Toyota dealer and make arrangements to have your vehicle inspected.

As part of our continuing efforts to provide superior customer satisfaction, Toyota is extending the April 30, 2012, expiration date for vehicles covered by this campaign, to December 31, 2012.

A0F
post #1765 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Rookie

What type of rental vehicle has everyone been getting? I've been told by both my dealer and Toyota corporate that only cars are available. I need a truck with a hitch
post #1766 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Just a thought on the rentals. It probably depends on the dealer's rental/loaner program. Mine owned them. Others use Enterprise. I just told mine I needed a truck unless they wanted me putting building materials and bags of concrete in a Prius. Actually got a new Tacoma with he plastic still on the floor.
post #1767 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYoungRealEstate View Post
What type of rental vehicle has everyone been getting? I've been told by both my dealer and Toyota corporate that only cars are available. I need a truck with a hitch
I only got a rental car only 1 out of the 3 times my car had to go in for the frame coating recall. That one time it was a Prius from the dealership. Hope that helps.
post #1768 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM

My dealer paid for the rental Dodge ram extra cab 4x4 for 2 weeks and change.
post #1769 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 AM

I had a Prius. Got 49.7 mpg on the same route that returns 16 on my Tundra. It's a bummer for people who need their truck for work.
post #1770 of 2388 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraneDead View Post
I spoke to Nicole at Toyota corporate today as I too used to live in a high-risk state, but moved to North Carolina last year. 9 years of salt did it's damage, but not enough to put a hole in my frame yet. Nicole stated that the entire rust perforation campaign would be extended through December 2012. This includes frame replacements and the rust preventative coatings. I guess that makes sense since, if your truck does have a 10mm hole, coating it won't really do much. I'm not sure if this had been discussed yet in this thread, I didn't see it.

Nicole would not send me anything written stating that the frame replacement campaign would be extended from April '12 to December '12, but she said I'd be receiving notice in the mail. Has anyone else heard this?
It is quite a shame that our trucks spent most of their life in a high risk area, don't qualify for a frame replacement, yet they won't undercoat them. I live in northern Utah where road salt is quite common in the winter months. I decided to call the dealer the truck was purchased from in Wisconsin and they said they would undercoat my truck if I took it to them. Since I still have family in the area, when I go home this summer, I might drive instead of fly and get the truck done. I haven't decided yet, I might just risk it as I don't want to spend the extra time or money in driving.

Therefore, if you are relatively close to your old dealer (22hr drive for me) that might be an option for you - for peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page