Tundra frame rust recall??? - Page 76 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1126 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Supporter

Re: Tundra frame rust recall???

Well guys I have some GREAT NEWS. I"M GETTING A NEW FRAME ON MY TRUCK.

I took the truck in today just to see if the spare tire cross member replaced. It was okay but within the next year or so probably not. The technician and the service manager were more concerned about the 2 center cross members instead. The one by the fuel tank has a hole in it. The right one was patched back in September 2008.

I'm #5 in line at my toyota dealership to receive a new frame. It will take about 4 months for it to come in. They told me that they will have the truck for about 1 week and I'll be given a loaner. Probably a corolla or camry but it doesn't matter to me. New brake and fuel lines will be installed. Other suspension parts such as lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, and other suspension maybe replaced depending on the condition of them. Both the technician and the service manager said my truck is still safe to drive. But for now I'm going to take the truck easy.

service manager told me it would take 50 hours at $70 per hours= $3,500 just in labor.
estimated grand total $9,000-maybe $10,000 but I'll will let you guys know.

So while the truck is there, Hopefully I can take some pictures of it.

Chris.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
Cardomain Member
Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1127 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totouchantler View Post
Still cant seem to punch a hole in my frame......even with air hammer??? Kidding
I wonder if they just looke at the frame or if they attempt to tap or puncture it with a tool? My tacoma was bought back....and I thought I remember them saying they tested the frame with a pneamatic (sp?) puch to test the condition of the frame? I think im a pretty good example of how customers will react when treated well. I got 16k for my 99 Tacoma with 175k miles. What did I do? Finshed paying of my student loan and then used the rest as a down payment on my current 2002 Tundra.....and now all of this????

Heres my concern guys and girls......what if I take my truck in and it passes everything....but then fails two years down the road? How long will this campaign last? I know the Tacoma buy back ended pretty quick once dealers started filling thier lots with rusty ol trucks.

.....now back to my air hammer....
Totouchantler,
This is my concern also, the dealine for having the frame replaced. My truck as 32K miles on it and the frame does not look all that bad but does have some rust on it. The front end components,(upper & lower control arms,stabilizar bar,etc. are what worries me. I not sure if my truck as of right now warrants a total frame replacement, but if I wait too long, and I wait too long this campain could expire and I could be holding a rust bucket truck.

Does everyone out there feel at ease with having this frame replacement done on their truck,especially if your truck is in good shape with low miles on it? This is one heck of a major undertaking and a Toyota Dealer is not a Toyota Assembly Plant. Will their be a warrnaty on their work?
The frame is the backbone of your truck and you could have your truck messed up big times if this procedure is not done correctly!

Are we going to recieve an additional letter to the cross member letter, or do they just make a decission on a frame replacement when you take your truck in for the cross member recall?

Ferris Bueler, your frame, from your picture and the way you describe the condition of your truck must be i very good shape, how did you qualify to be put on the list for a frame replacement?

Lots of Questions!,
R.B.
post #1128 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusTundra View Post
Troller 65; Who told you that? This is my concern also. My 2000 SR5 is almost but not quite total crapola.
Corporate Cust. Service on 5/4 - again, nobody has seen the official Limited Service Campaign notice, so it's taking their verbal word for it at the moment.

TOLLER65

post #1129 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Supporter

More detailed information on the Limited Service Campaign:

Toyota Launches Tundra Frame Replacement Program | Tundra Headquarters

This article confirms the campaign is valid on 2000-2003 Tundras, through the year 2012 - so if you have a 2000-2003 Tundra without a hole in the frame today, you still may qualify if a hole develops between now and December 2012.
post #1130 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 AM

The article actually says April 2012 not December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1131 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman10 View Post
Well guys I have some GREAT NEWS. I"M GETTING A NEW FRAME ON MY TRUCK.

I took the truck in today just to see if the spare tire cross member replaced. It was okay but within the next year or so probably not. The technician and the service manager were more concerned about the 2 center cross members instead. The one by the fuel tank has a hole in it. The right one was patched back in September 2008.
I'm curious to see any before replacement pics; the rear cross members on my truck, included the one for the spare tire, are in the best shape from constant undercarriage washes after the snowstorms. The worst is the second one by the back of the transmission, next to the transfer case.

I'll wait to see if others are getting their frames replaced due to other cross members that are in poor shape, and obviously after they've done the job a few hundred times to avoid potential screw ups.

I guess it paid off to live in ohio, were salt is a plenty and frames turn to orange after the first year!
post #1132 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Thant's what I like to see, a little positive attitude about a whole new frame, free from Toyota as a reward for buying a Tundra and living in the salt-belt.

post #1133 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Lurking Member

Regional rep came thru local dealership and approved 7 tundra frame replacements last week. Its been a long wait, but its finally time

Mike
post #1134 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Garage

I recieved my notice last week. I called to schedule the work and was informed by the two dealers that they could do the inspection, but they could not spray the rust inhibitor due to county regulations. They suggested that I call back in the next week or so to see if they had county and Fire Marshall approvals to use the inhibitor spray.
post #1135 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Rookie

My truck has rust all thru the frame although the spare tire area is fine. The 2 cross members in front of the spare tire area are rusted through as well as several areas in the main frame. They ordered my new frame last week and said it would be in in 1 week and should be completed in another 2 weeks or about a 3 week period! They gave me a 2010 4 door Tacoma to drive until completion! I live in northwestern pa. Russell pa!
post #1136 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM

RB, My frame and x-member are trashed. Holes through both. That has been my point all along, well maintaned, but the frame is junk. My trailer hitch has most of the original paint still on it!

If your frame is still good, I'd have it coated no. With as little miles as you put on, you could keep that thing forever.

There are detailed pics of my frame somewhere around pg 61. I've also done a couple of very detailed writeups of my step by step. Just search this thread for my posts.
post #1137 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris buehler View Post
RB, My frame and x-member are trashed. Holes through both. That has been my point all along, well maintaned, but the frame is junk. My trailer hitch has most of the original paint still on it!

If your frame is still good, I'd have it coated no. With as little miles as you put on, you could keep that thing forever.

There are detailed pics of my frame somewhere around pg 61. I've also done a couple of very detailed writeups of my step by step. Just search this thread for my posts.
F.B.,
This is a total sin, not a shame, that owners can keep their vehicles in such pristine condition maintanence wise, only to have the backbone or main component of their vehicle fail or soon to fail because of a manufacturer flaw.

I don't think I can trust Toyota after this and their numerous Tundra Brake Problems they incurred,(which they and the dealer),told me basically told me to "Go Screw" with. Also, I hear that they are having air injection pump problems with their newer model Tundras with that occur around the time the truck warranty expires costing the owner around 4K out of pocket.

No new Tundra for me.

R.B.
post #1138 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Lurking Member

Those were my thoughts too man. I stayed Toyota but couldnt get another tundra although that is exactly what I wanted.

My 87 pickup rusted out and I was lucky to get a few bucks for it, then my 2000 tundra. I just thought for my experiences it was a dumb move to do it again.

Mike
post #1139 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM

To solve the brake problem for about $250 if you shop around online, get Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. I've got over 100k on mine (2nd set of pads) and never warped a rotor since. Plus it stops like a BMW
post #1140 of 2388 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Rookie

I know where you guys are coming from, but I still don't think anyone is building a better truck out there! I have a friend who is a Chevy mechanic and I ask him what he would buy if he had a choice. He said that he certainly would not buy a chevy!!! He would consider a Ford, but would buy a Tundra first choice!! This guy has worked on all the different models. I pretty much agree with him, that the Ford would be my 2nd choice. As long as Toyota is taking care of me then I will probably continue to go with them. Things don't look so good for Toyota right now, but if you take a short look back in history and look at issues that the other big 3 have had you will see they have been much worse and they certainly haven't improved much. If not for Toyota, Nissan and Honda they would probably be still selling us the same old junk! Ialso would have a very hard time supporting anyone who took our tax dollars in a Bailout!!!!!!!!!! I expect that once my truck is done I will put somm money into the body and it will probably run me another 200,000 mi beyond the 106,000 that is on it. I have had many Toyotas and none have dies with less than 250,000 with very little Maint that wasn't your basic stuff! That is my two Cents anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page